Thread: Ham Radio - How Did I Start in This Fascinating Hobby?

Washington. Tyne Wear. North East England.

Default Ham Radio - How Did I Start in This Fascinating Hobby?

Ham radio, how I started in the fascinating World of Ham radio and how it leads me into the Telecommunications Industry, where I worked as an Engineer.

It all started when I received a book called "wires bulbs and batteries." It was Christmas following my sixth birthday. I believe it was due to the fact that my parents had noticed their torch had been taken apart, and the components rewired together.

After studying the circuit diagram in the book on batteries and bulbs it seemed obvious that I was keen to explore electricity and how circuits worked together when a switch was activated and the bulb lit. I soon explored the school library and found a book called how to build a crystal set. These books are still available on auction websites at reasonable prices; I would buy one they still hold great information even today, fifty years on.

May I suggest that you explore the secondhand market for a general coverage receiver? Listening to the Short Wave spectrum will give you a good grounding in what Ham Radio has to offer. It is better to buy a secondhand receiver from a reputable dealer, secondhand radios keep their value if you decide to sell it on if radio is not for you.

For the more adventurous explorer a radio kit is a good introduction to Ham Radio. A kit comes with all the components and a drilled circuit board which removes the time from having to source components separately from radio suppliers.

If you decide to buy a Short Wave receiver, make sure it has the capability of receiving Frequency Modulation or F.M. My first commercial receiver was used as a driver for a frequency converter. Using the ten metre band as an Intermediate Frequency and the converter I could tune into transmissions on the V.H.F. Ham Radio allocation on 144 Megahertz.

Another excellent way to develop your interest in Ham Radio is to buy an ex Private Mobile Radio Transceiver, the type used by taxi companies and Utility services. Some of these transceivers can be easily converted to Ham Radio bands at a fraction of the cost of commercially designed equipment. There are many websites showing you how to do this.

In my opinion, building either a receiver or modifying a piece of commercial equipment, have many advantages for the newcomer to Ham Radio. The education is worth its weight in gold and you can go on to other modifications, including making fixed crystal controlled receivers and transceivers into variable frequency rigs by building a variable frequency oscillator. There are plenty of instructions on the internet for the keen and practical Radio Ham.

John Allsopp G4YDM. https://www.qrz.com/db/G4YDM

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/expert/John_Allsopp/1925417

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/9541333

I have heard mostly SSB on 20m and 15m bands. FM seems to be more for 2 meters these days. From what I read on another forum, there are hams still using AM on some bands.

I would love to find sites with schematics and info on setting up a Raspberry Pi or Arduino for digital ham radio.
    --
    73, Jim/N4AAB got my Extra class license on Aug 10, 2017. Vanity call in Oct, 2014.
    My Ham radio site has no popups, no music, no banners.
    'Through the thorns to the stars' from Ghost-in-the-Shell anime.

Hi Jim,
    Have a look at this Facebook page it is all about home brew radios etc.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/hamradioconstruction
    I'm leaving now to go find myself....if I arrive before I get back, please ask me to wait!

Bookmarked. I'll look at it when I can.
    --
    73, Jim/N4AAB got my Extra class license on Aug 10, 2017. Vanity call in Oct, 2014.
    My Ham radio site has no popups, no music, no banners.
    'Through the thorns to the stars' from Ghost-in-the-Shell anime.

The Raspberry Pi 3 is very easy to set up. Mine runs the radio, the Tigertronics Signalink, plus Fldigi and the usual internet programs:- QRZ, DX Heat, eQSL, etc.

I also have a Pi 2 to run WSPR, as there are Jessie problems with python when it comes to WEPR.

Kind regards,

Phil