Thread: Anyone using the RSP-1 SDR?

Default Anyone using the RSP-1 SDR?

Has anyone any experience with the RSP-1 SDR? I am finding it quite difficult to get to grips with how the controlling software works - it is the very opposite to intuitive in terms of how to select a frequency, for example - and I seem to have real problems registering any signals at all.

The SDR Uno cookbook is, I have to say, not really much help. Even the English is garbled - like for instance "click on the space bar" (which implies a mouse operation) when they actually mean "press the spacebar on the keyboard".

Or is it just me?

Will
    G0OPL
    (30+ years licensed and a Master's degree in Electronics to boot...)

Default Rsp1 hard to get into!

No! it is not just you Will.
    I have spent many ! no over 100 hours evaluating SDR equipment for a publication I am writing.
    The Rsp1 or SDRplay as it is also known as has some poor software I.e SDRuno.
    It is not intuitive and works on some of the systems SDRplay advertised.
    When you get it working it is good, very good. but to get it working is more luck than judgement.
    I have had long correspondence with the so called support folk. with little help. very quick to tell you how it might work if you get it to work but help you to find out what is the problem no chance.
    They are polite and at first appear to be helpful but you may soon learn they do not know what they are talking about.
    I suspect they have only tried it on Win10 with a high resolution monitor.
    As they do not publish any minimum spec for your computer you are on your own to find out.
    Until they sort them selves out with correct advertising and software support I CANNOT recommend this to any one.
    Linux NO!
    Apple Not that I can find !
    Raspberry Pi I have not tried, I got fed up with it ( my time is to valuable)
    Win 10 yes on high resolution
    Win 7 8 and 8.1 if you are lucky and find the correct drivers. Error messages are non existent or misleading. BUT only with resolution over 1280 X 720
    The SDRuno cookbook is poor and the links in the page do not work!
    And out of date as there are changes in the software latest ver 1.11.
    Last edited by M0XOL; Sat 17th Dec 2016 at 17:23. Reason: spelling

Has anyone any experience with the RSP-1 SDR? I am finding it quite difficult to get to grips with how the controlling software works - it is the very opposite to intuitive in terms of how to select a frequency, for example - and I seem to have real problems registering any signals at all.
    SDR Console supports your radio. http://sdr-radio.com/

Default Not an answer to the Question.

W8MLS ref
    Quote Originally Posted by W8MLS View Post
    SDR Console supports your radio. http://sdr-radio.com/
    Blatant advertising for a poor product, Pages of loops to jump to get near to a download, a license system that crashes the computer, and No it does not work with the SDR RSP-1.
    Please do not use this media to push your product.
    The question was ""Has anyone any experience with the RSP-1 SDR?"" if you had you would have tried to help not hinder.

Quote Originally Posted by M0XOL View Post
    W8MLS ref

Blatant advertising for a poor product, Pages of loops to jump to get near to a download, a license system that crashes the computer, and No it does not work with the SDR RSP-1.
    Please do not use this media to push your product.
    The question was ""Has anyone any experience with the RSP-1 SDR?"" if you had you would have tried to help not hinder.
    M0XOL before you blast some one, take the time to actually navigate the web page and see whats there. For free software it is very nice. I have run SDR-Console on my SDR-IQ for over 3 years now. My friend has a SDR-Play. He loaded it for our ham club demo in 5 minutes and had it working.

You say SDR-Console is a poor product. I beg to differ. It is a great software. Sounds to me like the product the OM was trying to use is a poor product. Maybe the OM might want to see what else works with his radio and ditch the poor product.

I have never had a license crash my computer. In fact on my SDR-IQ I run about 7% CPU utilization. Not bad for thick client software.

You do need to load the driver on the web site.
    http://sdr-radio.com/Radios/SDRPlay

See supported radios below.

Supported Radios

Manufacturer Model Status
    Afedri Afedri SDR
    Airspy Airspy
    ANAN ANAN 10e Q3/Q4 (RX)
    Andrus SDR 1.5
    Cross Country Wireless SDR-4+ USB soundcard
    DXpatrol DXpatrol Supported, see RTL Dongles
    ELAD FDM-S1, FDM-S2
    Ettus Research B200 Other radios from Ettus Research may also work
    Great Scott Gadgets hackRF
    Hanlincrest Ltd. FUNcube, FUNcube Plus
    Lime Microsystems
    LimeSDR Under active and enthusiastic development
    microTelecom Perseus
    NUAND bladeRF
    RFspace SDR-IQ, SDR-IP, NetSDR
    RTL Dongles Many different For sale on eBay
    SDRPlay RSP
    Softrock Many different Examples are Tony Parks (KB9YIG), FiFi, Cross Country Wireless and many more.
    Last edited by W8MLS; Mon 19th Dec 2016 at 11:42.

Default Another advertiser or not.

W8MLS You Said Quote
    ""Before you blast some one, take the time to actually navigate the web page and see whats there. For free software it is very nice.""
    Nice what planet do you come from it is near the bottom of the list of SDR software packages I have had the misfortune to revue.
    1 I blasted as it was blatant advertising!
    2 If you had navigated the site you would know it is not free but licensed.
    3 If it was free it would not require so much personal information.
    4 if you need to find and set up separate drivers the software is incomplete, a very common problem with any Microsoft backed product.
    5 The SDRrun and SDRuno (SDR RSP-1) is a package sold together. Not a separate product.
    6 you do not declare what operating system you have Linux, Apple, Windows XP 7, 8, 8.1, or 10, all of which SDR RSP-1 is supposed to work on it is faulty as charged! to purchase a product and then find you have to get support from a third party sucks.
    SDR-Console is faulty to ! It not only does not work on many of the above but when it did try to work on Win 10 it crashed the system and indicated by the fault logs it attempted to access controlled areas of memory.
    I not only have I navigated the site installed the software tried out on a number of SDR RX's and found it a long way short of good.
    Methinks you are part of the SDR - console company Company!

This still does not help Will Cowell get his paid for system working!

W8MLS You Said Quote
    ""Before you blast some one, take the time to actually navigate the web page and see whats there. For free software it is very nice.""
    Nice what planet do you come from it is near the bottom of the list of SDR software packages I have had the misfortune to revue.
    1 I blasted as it was blatant advertising!
    2 If you had navigated the site you would know it is not free but licensed.
    3 If it was free it would not require so much personal information.
    4 if you need to find and set up separate drivers the software is incomplete, a very common problem with any Microsoft backed product.
    5 The SDRrun and SDRuno (SDR RSP-1) is a package sold together. Not a separate product.
    6 you do not declare what operating system you have Linux, Apple, Windows XP 7, 8, 8.1, or 10, all of which SDR RSP-1 is supposed to work on it is faulty as charged! to purchase a product and then find you have to get support from a third party sucks.
    SDR-Console is faulty to ! It not only does not work on many of the above but when it did try to work on Win 10 it crashed the system and indicated by the fault logs it attempted to access controlled areas of memory.
    I not only have I navigated the site installed the software tried out on a number of SDR RX's and found it a long way short of good.
    Methinks you are part of the SDR - console company Company!

This still does not help Will Cowell get his paid for system working!
    Don't be a LID. I have been running SDR Console for over 3 years. The license is FREE. Downloading drivers in windows is a way of life. Get over it. I have version 2 and version 3 loaded. I have never had any crashes or problems running the software.

To the OM, I don't have no interest in which ever software you run. I was pointing out the SDR Console does support your RSP1. It is your choice to play with it or not. Yes the website takes some navigating to get the software but it is not hard. You may or may not like it. Its just another option.

Please disregard M0XOL comments about SDR Console as he obviously has a beef with it or windows.

Good luck with your SDRPlay.

W8MLS

Default Help us all by stating hat windows version works so well for you

Quote Originally Posted by W8MLS View Post
    Don't be a LID. I have been running SDR Console for over 3 years. The license is FREE. Downloading drivers in windows is a way of life. Get over it. I have version 2 and version 3 loaded. I have never had any crashes or problems running the software.

To the OM, I don't have no interest in which ever software you run. I was pointing out the SDR Console does support your RSP1. It is your choice to play with it or not. Yes the website takes some navigating to get the software but it is not hard. You may or may not like it. Its just another option.

W8MLS
    Well good for you W8MLS so it works for you. It does not for a lot of others Just do a search on a search engine.
    What windows version do you use? it might help others !
    Just to quote it works for me is not helpful to any one.
    The site is a mess, if a Company cannot get its site right then what confidence can anyone have in its software.
    So far you have added nothing to help anyone.
    as for LID! what ever that means, if it is insulting then you lost the plot straight jacket applied for.
    Dictionary definition is a part of a enclosed space Closure devise.
    As a amateur/ham you will know how to treat Pirates (ignore) as I will henceforth.

Default RSP1 and SDR-Console get great review in this month's QST Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by M0XOL View Post
    Well good for you W8MLS so it works for you. It does not for a lot of others Just do a search on a search engine.
    What windows version do you use? it might help others !
    Just to quote it works for me is not helpful to any one.
    The site is a mess, if a Company cannot get its site right then what confidence can anyone have in its software.
    So far you have added nothing to help anyone.
    as for LID! what ever that means, if it is insulting then you lost the plot straight jacket applied for.
    Dictionary definition is a part of a enclosed space Closure devise.
    As a amateur/ham you will know how to treat Pirates (ignore) as I will henceforth.
    Fo the benefit of others reading this debate - I'd like to draw your attention to the article referenced here where QST Magazine comment favourably about SDRplay, SDRuno AND SDR-Console - http://www.sdrplay.com/new-review-of...-qst-magazine/

JON HUDSON you are blatantly advertising and hyping your own product, as a member of SDRplay company, anything you say could be false.
    The QST Magazine comment is a whitewash, as any one that has the misfortune to buy a SDRplay and find it difficult to make it work will testify.
    Your input is biased and as you did not make it clear your financial involvement in the product, your comments can not be relied on.

Tangmere, Chichester, West Sussex, United Kingdom

I think it's time to agree to differ on this one!!
    Seems there are a lot using SDR play as did I for a short while with an Airspy device with no problem, so this thread is now closed.
    Pete - 2EFVL
    The QRM Formally Known As M6PAP!!
    www.selseylifeboats.co.uk
    www.amberleymuseum.co.uk