Thread: 2 Antenna's 1 radio

Default 2 Antenna's 1 radio

Hi All

I don't know if this has been asked recently I can't find it but I have a 6m antenna and 10m antenna I want to run these from 1 run of cable from my mast to the radio. At the moment I have to go outside and change them over every time I want t change bands. I would also like to do the same with 2m and 70cm. I have been told by Radio World that there is no way of doing this and the only way is to run 2 runs of cable which will increase to 4 runs when I put up the 2m and 70cm yagi's. I have bought a duplexer but this is not a mast head one and can only be used inside so that's going back from whence it came.

I am hoping someone on here can help

many thanks

Dave
    M1PAH

Hello Dave,

I set my station up in the kitchen, as it was the only spare space we have with easy access to the garden.

The other reason for choosing this corner of the house was the old rear television aerial coax which entered the house at the side of some very expensive French Windows. Such is the size of the hole, I could only get RG58 through. I am only running a couple of metres, so am not too concerned about the losses over this distance.

For some time I just ran the Diamond X50, which is fed from Westflex 103. All was well until I finally got around to putting my Comet H422 up, fed with RG213. As I couldn't get another coax run into the house, without damaging the French Windows, I opted for the MFJ-4712 antenna switch, which sends the control voltage down the coax, saving the hassles of having to run a separate wire for this.

I chose this MFJ as it was quite cheap, sent the control down the coax, and was also rated at up to 150MHz.

So far, so good. It covers HF and 2m without any issues. I didn't expect any performance on 70cms but, surprisingly, I get less than 2:1 at the bottom end of 70cm, which still allows me access to the most popular repeater in the area. It does, however, quickly rise to 4:1 as you get to the middle of the band upwards. As I don't use 70cms very often, I am not too concerned.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Phil

Hi Dave,
    What radios are you trying to put an antenna to?
    Last edited by Sudden; Wed 17th Aug 2016 at 11:34.
    I'm leaving now to go find myself....if I arrive before I get back, please ask me to wait!

Quote Originally Posted by Sudden View Post
    Hi Dave,
    What radios are you trying to put an antenna to?
    I am using a Yaesu FT-857 which has an input for HF/6m and an Input for 2m/70cm

Default 2 Antenna's 1 radio

Hi I using a Yaesu FT-857