Thread: BF-F8HP and NOAA frequency

Default BF-F8HP and NOAA frequency

First of all, I apologize if this a repeated msg from other users. I tried to find answers prior to writing this post.

I have a BF-F8HP. I found the NOAA weather channel on the NOAA site. It uses 162.550. I would like to program this into my channels to save me from having to remember it.

I'm in Frequency Mode, I enter 162.550. Now I select menu and press 27. I press menu and enter 01. It appears as 001 (not CH-001) which I understand to mean its clear to save in that channel. I press menu again.

I DO NOT hear "confirm". I hear a very high beep. When I go into channel mode, channel 01 is not show up when scrolling through the channels. So it looks like it has not saved the NOAA frequency. If I set my handheld to a repeater channel (for example 146.760) I am able to save this frequency.

Why cannot I not save the NOAA frequency?

Thnx
    Matt

You probably have to use a "special" memory channel to save it - what does it say in the handbook?

Heya
    not sure if they changed it for the BF-F8HP version... I have the BF-F8+ version.

The correct way to program that frequency would be to do the following.
    #1 be in frequency mode.
    #2 Select the top line of frequencies displayed by pressing A/B
    #3 type in your wanted frequency (in this case 162.550)
    #4 Press menu to enter the menu screen
    #5 press the up or down arrow until to get to MEM CH
    #6 once you get to MEM ch press menu again to enter that sub menu
    #7 press up or down until you get to your empty channel which would be one that looks like 001.... not CH 001. if it has CH in it that means it already has data.
    #8 Press Menu when you get to your empty channel.... it will say RECIEVING MEMORY. repeat this again until it says TRANSMITTING MEMORY

CONGRATS you are done
    FYI this is only good for simplex. If you want to do repeaters that is a whole nother ball of wax. I have posted instructions elsewhere in this forum and in the QRZ forum... you can find it with a quick search.

Quote Originally Posted by 5B4AJB View Post
    You probably have to use a "special" memory channel to save it - what does it say in the handbook?
    I'm not seeing anything in the book about a special channel.

Quote Originally Posted by KK6NOH View Post
    Heya
    not sure if they changed it for the BF-F8HP version... I have the BF-F8+ version.

The correct way to program that frequency would be to do the following.
    #1 be in frequency mode.
    #2 Select the top line of frequencies displayed by pressing A/B
    #3 type in your wanted frequency (in this case 162.550)
    #4 Press menu to enter the menu screen
    #5 press the up or down arrow until to get to MEM CH
    #6 once you get to MEM ch press menu again to enter that sub menu
    #7 press up or down until you get to your empty channel which would be one that looks like 001.... not CH 001. if it has CH in it that means it already has data.
    #8 Press Menu when you get to your empty channel.... it will say RECIEVING MEMORY. repeat this again until it says TRANSMITTING MEMORY

CONGRATS you are done
    FYI this is only good for simplex. If you want to do repeaters that is a whole nother ball of wax. I have posted instructions elsewhere in this forum and in the QRZ forum... you can find it with a quick search.
    This is exactly the steps I follow and it doesnt save when using 162.550. At step #8, I get a little chirp of beep sound.

If I change frequency to 162.650, it saves.

It has something to do with this frequency.

Quote Originally Posted by tatmanblue View Post
    This is exactly the steps I follow and it doesnt save when using 162.550. At step #8, I get a little chirp of beep sound.

If I change frequency to 162.650, it saves.

It has something to do with this frequency.
    well I hate to say it but you may have a defective radio or some sort of glitch. Maybe if you do a whole complete reset of the radio to factory default it will fix it. I just programmed the exact frequency you were trying to do and it worked for me.

Quote Originally Posted by KK6NOH View Post
    well I hate to say it but you may have a defective radio or some sort of glitch. Maybe if you do a whole complete reset of the radio to factory default it will fix it. I just programmed the exact frequency you were trying to do and it worked for me.
    Thnx. That is good idea and worth a try.

Just curious, was NOAA broadcasting on that frequency when you saved it?

I dont believe you can save a channel on the Baofengs while there is a signal present. Try removing the antenna and then saving the channel to memory.

Download Chirp and plug all the stuff in you can.
    N5MKH - The only thing that separates man from animal is our affinity for toilet paper. Once we as a society lose that affinity we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself. Up is down and down is us and man is no longer an alpha predator.

Just my 2 cents worth ... Do You know ALL of the NOAA VHF Channels / Frequencies in your State & County? Well, here's the Official List:

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/nwr/coverage..._coverage.html

Dan
    WA9WVX

Cool NOAA Programming

First of all, I apologize if this a repeated msg from other users. I tried to find answers prior to writing this post.

I have a BF-F8HP. I found the NOAA weather channel on the NOAA site. It uses 162.550. I would like to program this into my channels to save me from having to remember it.

I'm in Frequency Mode, I enter 162.550. Now I select menu and press 27. I press menu and enter 01. It appears as 001 (not CH-001) which I understand to mean its clear to save in that channel. I press menu again.

I DO NOT hear "confirm". I hear a very high beep. When I go into channel mode, channel 01 is not show up when scrolling through the channels. So it looks like it has not saved the NOAA frequency. If I set my handheld to a repeater channel (for example 146.760) I am able to save this frequency.

Thnx
    Matt
    I have both a UV-5R and BF-8FHP and utilized the free CHIRP programming software and easily added all the NOAA frequencies into memory. I have never seen any "special channels" or reserved areas in either radio. A word of caution; the software automatically programs your radio to transmit on any frequency you enter at the radio's highest power. Alas, there is no way to turn the power to 0 or receive only so make sure you program these frequencies to the low 1 watt power setting. A point to remember is if you do program these frequencies in your radio then you can forget about ever using the scan feature ever again because it will get to the weather and stop. Of course you can restart scanning and it will scan all the channels until it gets back to the weather and will stop again.

Smile NOAA programming problem

Thnx
    Matt
    Newbie here, but someone below had the answer. You cannot be receiving on the channel you are trying to program. I took off the antenna as recommended, keyed in a NOAA freq and viola, it worked! I spent an hour trying to figure out why I could program any other random channel with success. I remember reading about programming channels while receiving is a no-no.

Thumbs up You nailed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis C View Post
    I dont believe you can save a channel on the Baofengs while there is a signal present. Try removing the antenna and then saving the channel to memory.
    Yup, that is what it is, and that is what I did, and that is what worked. Thanks!!