Thread: UK Amateur Radio Full licence study material

Default UK Amateur Radio Full licence study material

Have the Intermediate exam booked for a couple of weeks time and then hopefully onto the full licence.

I'm looking for recommendations for additional study/reading material to supplement the RSGB Full licence manual ?

Thanks

M6HHE

Find yourself an RSGB or ARRL yearbook - doesn't matter what year. The older ones are just as good as recent ones, only the projects inside change.

Check ebay, they start around 5 and are worth every penny, you'll be using it for reference for many years to come.

Come to think of it any RSGB or ARRL book is a good read, the antenna ones are full of propagation information, useful or beginners.

Try and get down to a rally, the RSGB often has a bin of "seconds" which can be had at a discount.

Oh, and one last thing (that everyone forgets about), your local library almost certainly has a radio section, go and scour it

Thinking back a loooong way..... I used these two, as far as I recall.

ARRL Handbook - here' s the latest version: http://www.arrl.org/shop/ARRL-Handbo...cover-Edition/

RSBG Radio Communication Handbook - at the top of this page: http://www.rsgbshop.org/acatalog/Onl...chnical_6.html

Probably more technical info and advice there than in the yearbooks, but they are, as Dem says, worth every penny.

It's probably time I re-invested in a couple of these, to bring myself back to where I was back in 1984. Oo-er, I suddenly feel very old.......
    Current radios: VHF/UHF: 2 x Baofeng 2/70 Handhelds. VHF: Kenwood TR9130 2m multimode. HF: Kenwood TS930S-AT
    Home antennas planned: G5RV / G7FEK / end fed wire. 1/2 wave vertical for 10m. 6 element beam for 2m. Vertical collinear for 2/70
    Website for the 'day job': www.andrew-gilbert.com

thanks chaps

Rgds

Well done so far, and good look for the intermediate.

In addition to the reading material already suggested, I do think as much on air experience, along with lengthy chats with some experienced Hams at a club, is invaluable.

Kind regards,

Phil

Intermediate done....now onto the real reason I started on this journey...the Full licence.

My aim is to have it done by the end of the year.....zero to hero in 6 months

Well done, keep going for the Full Licence.
    Current radios: VHF/UHF: 2 x Baofeng 2/70 Handhelds. VHF: Kenwood TR9130 2m multimode. HF: Kenwood TS930S-AT
    Home antennas planned: G5RV / G7FEK / end fed wire. 1/2 wave vertical for 10m. 6 element beam for 2m. Vertical collinear for 2/70

Got there in the end.....M0NCL

Well done.

Big difference in difficulty isn't it!

Kind regards,

Phil

Congratulations! Back in our day......(he says, going off on another rant about how we had to do the hard stuff before we even got on the air...) But you've set yourself a target, gone for it and achieved it in the time frame you set yourself so you can feel mighty pleased.