Thread: TM-732a Dual Band quit working w/44 in lower left

Default TM-732a Dual Band quit working w/44 in lower left

I have had this radio ever since I got my ticket and it has been a faithful rig. Over the years I have had several Kenwood rigs do the belly up and quit on me. But on my way to work last week this unit wouldn't turn on, so I thought. I realized that it did turn on and a small 44 appeared in the lower left corner, no backlit or anything and the only way to turn it off was to unhook the power. I did read an article somewhere that said to check the detachable head connectors, which I did and I cleaned them even though they were spotless. It didn't help.

Does anyone have an idea or a clue what to check? I feel it is too old a rig to send for repair as the price or diagnostic isn't worth it, not too mention funds are really tight.

Thank you in advance for reading and replying if you can.
    73's
    N3ROQ

I think you may have one of these problems:

On the back of the display board there is an electrolytic capacitor C8, this had leaked causing the through plated copper track to dissolve.

This track carries 5v from the regulator to the rest of the circuit, simply by soldering through a wire link cured the fault. A second unit had a partial display with no RX but ok TX, it only showed the first 2 digits (44) of the UHF band frequency. The other unit would not power up at all until repaired.

This repair does mean removing the LCD display from the board so be very careful on assembly otherwise it will not function properly.

Dan
    WA9WVX

Thank you for responding. I was already thinking it had to do with the head. So I'm willing to tear into to see what I can find. Funds are tight and i can't afford a new rig.

Bad thing is I have a TM733 that was in my wife's car and has been sitting on a shelf since it was wrecked in 2006 and it is now dead, no power. So it is time to either try and fix or let go for parts.

Default electrolytic capacitor C8

Quote Originally Posted by WA9WVX View Post
    I think you may have one of these problems:

On the back of the display board there is an electrolytic capacitor C8, this had leaked causing the through plated copper track to dissolve.

This track carries 5v from the regulator to the rest of the circuit, simply by soldering through a wire link cured the fault. A second unit had a partial display with no RX but ok TX, it only showed the first 2 digits (44) of the UHF band frequency. The other unit would not power up at all until repaired.

This repair does mean removing the LCD display from the board so be very careful on assembly otherwise it will not function properly.

Dan
    WA9WVX
    Ok I have taking the control head apart and I have located the "C8" the 1 side of the capacitor looks like corrosion on the solder joint. Other than that I see nothing. Any ide where I can get a new capacitor?

Default Me too

Heya,

I was looking at the "44" issue on a Kenwood TM-732A and ran into this thread. I had just about tracked it down when I saw this post. Sure 'nuff, C8 had leaked and damaged the trace on the board. The via was damaged and wasn't pulling 5 volts from the regulator. I ended up patching a wire across the board to get 5 volts back over toward the power switch side. I repaired the trace on the board and I've got a new SMD capacitor on order to repeat the repair. However, I was able to temporarily solder a thru-hole cap onto the board and confirm that it now powers up and runs. I've put an album with some pictures together here.

Thanks for the pointer! I would have found this eventually, but it saved me a good bit of time. It's also comforting to know that others have had the issue, hence my post.
    '73,
    Mike

Default smd capacitor

Where did you order the "C8" SMD capacitor from. I have my unit torn apart and just need to replace it. TIA.