Thread: Passed my Extra exam- now ready to build shack

Default Passed my Extra exam- now ready to build shack

I passed my Extra exam yesterday and am still a new ham having passed Tech and General earlier this month. So now I'm ready to start building a modest shack.

I picked up a Yaesu FT-60R, whip, and mobile antenna (for my truck) yesterday. Before purchasing a base rig, I'd like to outfit my shack with an appropriate antenna that will work on both my HT and whatever base unit I purchase in the near future.

I plan to buy the Diamond X-50 antenna and install it on my roof (with proper grounding, etc...). Will this antenna work with a base, as it will for my FT-60R? Will the same coax work for both (maybe just need two different adapters)?
    AF7XI
    Doug

Hello Doug,

CONGRATULATIONS on Passing Your EXTRA Class License Exam!

I'm wondering why you are wasting your time on 2 m when You have an Extra Class License and can operate all of the HF, VHF & UHF Bands?

Dan
    WA9WVX

Hi Dan- thanks for the kind words.

I'm new to all bands so I plan to practice my etiquette on 2 meters and locally through the repeaters. That way I won't annoy any DX hams as I learn the ropes! I do plan to get into HF, etc... but I want to gain my footing before I start dropping loot on the more capable, expensive rigs.
    AF7XI
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndunamended View Post
    Hi Dan- thanks for the kind words.

I'm new to all bands so I plan to practice my etiquette on 2 meters and locally through the repeaters. That way I won't annoy any DX hams as I learn the ropes! I do plan to get into HF, etc... but I want to gain my footing before I start dropping loot on the more capable, expensive rigs.
    Get on HF. The "manners" you will hear on 2m repeaters is not what your going to find on HF. Two different worlds.

Aye usually on HF its...

"MW call?"
    *MW6TYD Tango Yankee Delta qsl?*
    "Sorry again MW6?"
    *Tango Yankee Delta*
    "MW6 tango? Sorry again?
    *MW6 Tango Yankee Delta, Tango Yankee Delta T Y D Tower Yosemite Dinosaur TYD MW6TYD*
    "Yep... MW6TY Kilo? I think. 5 and 9 73"
    *negative kilo, Delta, tango Yankee delta*
    "Yep Yankee delta, 59 73"

Ridiculous. :/