Thread: 2 meter bean or 2 meter vertical

Default 2 meter bean or 2 meter vertical

I am just looking for advise on what ham operators using 2 meter would prefer beam or vertical

For a quick and cheap installation, a vertical. If you opt for a beam, then you will also need a method of rotating it. If you're new to hobby and you live in an area where the 2 metre band is fairly well populated, then go for a vertical. A good start is the Diamond X30 or X50. Or even better, build a Slim-JIM. If you're more out in the sticks and need range to get anyone, then a beam is better. Horses for courses

Quote Originally Posted by ham41 View Post
    I am just looking for advise on what ham operators using 2 meter would prefer beam or vertical
    Really depends on the mode of operation if FM then a vertical or vertical polarised beam would be the way forward.

If SSB/CW then you'd probably want a horizontal beam.
    Peter, 2E0SQL - http://www.2e0sql.co.uk

As mentioned, mode is the key.

I mainly operate FM on 2 metres, so have a Diamond X50. I also have reasonable success operating SSB through it, though I do appreciate it is with other relatively local hams using verticals.

I have a 5 element beam which I use occasionally, set up in the garden, but a beam fixed to the house is only practicable with a rotator, and I doubt I'll get around to this, hence the X50.

Kind regards,

Phil

Fm is my big thing being able to hit a repeater that is a fair distance from me

If its just a single repeater than vertical polarised beam wouldn't be a bad choice if its some distance away, tricks going to be getting the beam pointing spot onto it, have you tried tweaking the direction to see if that makes any difference?
    Peter, 2E0SQL - http://www.2e0sql.co.uk