Thread: PC Programming Alinco DR-B185 2m rig

Default PC Programming Alinco DR-B185 2m rig

Did not expect this process to work first time (and it dosen't). Trying to use the PC Programming software for the Alinco DR-B185 2 meter radio. I have downloaded the software from Alinco. I have downloaded the VCP driver (as instructed) from www.ftdichip.com. I have obtained the required USB PC Interface cable from Alinco ie - ERW-7. I am using Windows 10.

The instructions say:
    1 - Start the utility program DR-185.exe & select "set" menu. I did item 1 & it works fb.

2- Select the com port that your ERW-7 cable has been assigned by your PC. I did item 2 and all is good (usb com port 3)

3- Next, (with the rig off) depress both the "func & sql" together & turn rig on. Result should be that the rig displays a 3 digit firmware code.

Step 3 fails (for me). I do not get any 3 digit firmware code. Instead, I get "FW MODE" and that's where my journey ends.

Hopefully someone has been down this road and can help. Like I said in the beginning, I did not expect this to work the first time. I thought it would be nice to play with this programming feature and hopefully it will eventually work !

I have never had particularly good luck with OEM programming software. I choose instead to rely on software and cables from RT Systems. I have never had any problems with their products and i've run it on Windows XP, Win 7, 8, 8.1 and 10.

They make a cable and software for your particular radio. https://www.rtsystemsinc.com/DR-B185...ble-s/2472.htm

Default Windows 7 here, but the same result...

Quote Originally Posted by Ed H View Post
    3- Next, (with the rig off) depress both the "func & sql" together & turn rig on. Result should be that the rig displays a 3 digit firmware code.

Step 3 fails (for me). I do not get any 3 digit firmware code. Instead, I get "FW MODE" and that's where my journey ends.
    have done this on 3 different Win 7 machines with the exact results... cannot find anything in manual about firmware code, either.

anyone?

Default Problem solved!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ed H View Post
    Did not expect this process to work first time (and it dosen't). Trying to use the PC Programming software for the Alinco DR-B185 2 meter radio. I have downloaded the software from Alinco. I have downloaded the VCP driver (as instructed) from www.ftdichip.com. I have obtained the required USB PC Interface cable from Alinco ie - ERW-7. I am using Windows 10.

The instructions say:
    1 - Start the utility program DR-185.exe & select "set" menu. I did item 1 & it works fb.

2- Select the com port that your ERW-7 cable has been assigned by your PC. I did item 2 and all is good (usb com port 3)

Hopefully someone has been down this road and can help. Like I said in the beginning, I did not expect this to work the first time. I thought it would be nice to play with this programming feature and hopefully it will eventually work !
    After a call w/ Raj in the repair shop, change line 3 to:

3- Next, (with the rig off) depress both the "V/M & sql" together & turn rig on. Result should be that the rig displays a 3 digit firmware code.

It popped right up. Hope you get this before you drop kick the radio, it was close here LOL!!

Tom
    W2TPO