Thread: Switched mode PSU and SSB/AM

Default Switched mode PSU and SSB/AM

Just wondering if a switched mode power is suitable to use for an SSB rig? I just ordered a 30A one for my 2 metre - The power drawn for FM will be pretty steady, but I thought of getting another one for the HF radio, but just how would the PSU react to the constantly changing power requirement?

This is the beast: http://www.banggood.com/Mini-Switchi...p-1017264.html (Yeah, I know it's "Made in China", but the main power switch for my bench is close to hand and so are the fire extinguisher and fire blanket...

My best guess is it should work OK. My only concerns would be noise and ripple. I am curious what you think of it after it arrives. 30A at under $20 delivered is impressive to say the least. Let us know how it works. A short review would be appreciated. I personally don’t need nor want another power supply. Over the years, I as most old hams end up with several but it might be nice to be able to suggest such a unit to the new ham or those who do not want the weight and expense of a linear supply.
    Joe KA9UCN

Quote Originally Posted by KA9UCN View Post
    A short review would be appreciated. ... it might be nice to be able to suggest such a unit to the new ham or those who do not want the weight and expense of a linear supply.
    Thanks for the thoughts. I was wondering about noise as well - The "smart" charger I use for the battery (my current "power supply") does introduce a little bit of noise, but at the moment it's acceptable. Once I become a QRP DX junkie, it probably won't be...

Will do a write-up though!

I've used this one, from day one:-

http://www.nevadaradio.co.uk/cb/cb-p.../nevada-psw-50

with no noticeable additional noise.

My biggest noise problem, to date, came from my Raspberry Pi 5 amp power supply.

Kind regards,

Phil

The beastie just came today. I have only given it a quick GO/NO-GO test: That is, plug it in - no smoke, good, hook up to rig, rig works and still no smoke - even better. But, as I'm off to the UK tomorrow, a proper test, for noise and such will have to wait until at least next weekend. I have also ordered a dual Volt/Ammeter (50 amps) for it. I got one (FSD 10 amps) for my old 12 V PSU and it works well:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Well, that sucked...
    I ran the HF rig (Icom IC-735) first from the small power supply (5 A with transformer), receive only, as it wouldn't be enough to drive during transmit. Found a quite patch near 18 MHz - pretty quiet.

Then hooked up the 30 A switched mode. Ugh!!! S5 to S7 noise! And that's with the power cable wrapped around a ferrite tube.

I guess I'll be using it for the 2 metre rig then...

I had a bit better test today. I hooked the Icom up to a battery and switched everything else in the room off.
    The S-meter was pretty much on zero. I had a tune around, heard a few stations, some Morse and so on, and went back to a quite spot. S0.

I plugged the power supply in and switched it on. After a few seconds, the S-meter climbed to S5, held a while then hit S7.

I switched it off and the S-meter wound down to zero again. I did this a few times and got the same results each time.
    I then plugged the Yaesu 2-metre rig into the power supply and turned it on. The S-meter on the Icom climbed to nearly S9! 2-metre off, and the noise dropped. On again, and it hit nearly S9 again. Not good.

I guess then the noise is conducted in to the mains wiring and radiated out from there.

In comparison, the "generic" laptop PSU I have gives about S5 and the LED table light gives an on-off S5 chirp.

Since the PSU was less than 20 Euros, I thought "Cry havoc and bugger the warranty seal!" and opened it up. I had read a few websites where they showed dodgy power supplies from China with missing filter circuits, transformers with a single loop of wire and a core of cement and so on, so I didn't bother holding my breath...

Well, everything seems to be there:

AC Input filtering

DC Output filtering

There are some places for for a few extra components, but I doubt they have anything to do with the noise.

I am now waiting for the 50 A FSD ammeter to turn up, so I can put the thing in a better looking box and run the Yaesu 2-metre FM rig from it. Though I am now looking in knocking up some proper filtering on both the mains I/P and DC O/P, so that I can us it on with the Icom. [s]If that goes OK and the PSU works OK over then next six months or so, them I may get another one, so both radios have their own supplies.[/s]

On second thoughts, to be honest, with the effort and extra money required to make it usable for HF SSB, I would NOT buy another one, rather save my pennies and buy a much better quality PSU.
    Last edited by OH8GAD; Wed 17th Feb 2016 at 12:48.

Been a loooong time since I did anything with this. During the summer last year, I got a mains input socket (OK, technically, it's a plug) filter (like the one in the attached image). I hoped it might reduce the mains-borne noise. Nope, no luck. I have read a few articles on how to filter SMPS DC output, which involve either buying more quite expensive bits or stripping them from a PC power supply - which I don't have.

The upshot is, that I feel any more work on it will just be like throwing money onto a fire. It works OK for the 2 m FM rig now, but not good for the HF. I'll keep my eyes open for a car battery.
    Attached Images Attached Images

OK, so it's been over a year since my last post on this and over two years since I started it...

Anyway, I'm giving up on it as a viable PSU for HF use. Despite the metal box and mains filter, the radiated QRM is still just as bad. So, it's junk.

I'm now keeping my eyes open for a huge (salvaged) transformer which can handle 30 amps+ for a linear supply.

In the USA you can buy an Astron 35A Linear power supply any old day of the week at a hamfest for around $65.00

Quote Originally Posted by Sixmeters View Post
    In the USA you can buy an Astron 35A Linear power supply any old day of the week at a hamfest for around $65.00
    But I don't happen to be in the US...