Thread: Headphones

Default Headphones

Looking for a pair of cheap but good headphones any suggestions?

Look at the Sennheiser range...

The standard in amateur radio is Heil Sound. You may pay a little more, but the quality is exceptional. I have a Heil Proset headset for my HF rig and a Heil HTH-Y headset for my HTs. Both have excellent audio and clarity.

http://www.heilsound.com/amateur/

Don't overlook the fact that the typical ham receiver/receiver stage of a transceiver has an audio curve from about 300 to 3K hertz. Any response that headphones may have beyond these points will be heard as hissing. You really don't want audiophile-quality; ham radio is about communications. The best headphones I ever used were out of an old Navy flight helmet. About 2000 ohms' impedance, and clear-as-a-bell audio.
    Pat K7KBN
    Semper ubi sub ubi.

Quote Originally Posted by K6CPO View Post
    You may pay a little more...
    That's an understatement if I ever heard one!

True, they are quality built, but in my experience, a little on the heavy side and way overpriced for narrowband cans - buy 3 or 4 pairs of lightweight hifi ones for the same price!

Better still, go to a rally and find some old helicopter headphones, they come with a mic boom and the best noise insulating around. Replace the internals with "modern" components and fit a footswitch, now you have contest-quality headphones and mic for, well, mine cost a tenner plus some bits from the junkbox...

[edit] ninja'd by Pat - hey those 2kOhm speakers are perfect for crystal radios and getting hard to find 8)
    Last edited by 5B4AJB; Tue 13th Oct 2015 at 19:21.

Thank you for your suggestions. - kc1di