Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What Are The Basic Hamshack Tools?

Quote Originally Posted by 5B4AJB View Post
    It's probably best to get two meters for those two bands. The internal stripline will not do both bands very accurately.

Single-band SWR meters are fairly cheap, even the cheap ones are quite accurate.

I'd avoid ones that go from 10Hz to 10,000GHz for accuracy' sake...
    Thank ya much for the information.

lots of opinions on this one, and most of them are correct for the individual giving them.
    It greatly depends on what you intend to do... and some phrases mean different things to different people.
    If you do intend to build antennas and really want to set them up right, not just for SWR matching but also for effectiveness...
    the two tools I find essential are an antenna analyzer and a field strength meter.

^^^this^^^

Right now, and I mean "right now," since I am currently a "tech" and studying to take my "general," but right now I am dealing with VHF/UHF, 2 meter, 70cm with an off the shelf antenna in both my mobile and my base.
    My base is about 40 miles from my most used repeater and my antenna is 30 feet up, on a mast. There are pine trees, taller than the antenna, nearby. Cannot do a thing about them. I know I need to work on the line, from the hamshack to the mast. It was installed in a hurry and is probably bleeding power like a politician gushing BS. PArt of the reason I need a good SWR/power meter.
    I've used HTs for awhile but in an area MUCH closer in to the repeaters. Learning as I go here and most of my experience was with military and emergency services radios. I'll take what advise, particularly for what tools I need, that I can get.
    Thanks guys.