Thread: Recruiting Mobile uses to use Amateur Radio

Default Recruiting Mobile uses to use Amateur Radio

I wonder what you all think of trying to persuade many of these avid users of mobile phones to at least get a Foundation licence so they can use such as the scarcely used channels on 10 m and 70 cm for their chatter, along with the odd repeater where needed. Sometime ago we decided to abandon the ancient rule repeaters should only be used when mobile then move to simplex. A rather silly ruling when the only way to contact many is using a powerful repeater, so we often use them for NETS. The only problem with our excellent GB3HE here in Hasting is that RSGB and Ofcom seem incapable of preventing a known abusive pirate etc. from frightening many into using it. To judge by the way many mobile users natter away on buses, trains and when dining out for all to hear will probably never deter them knowing the VHF channels can be heard by anyone.

I suspect the ardent users of HF who treat such as a macho sport to brag of making DX contacts will be horrified of anyone using AR such as Echolink purely for social contacts. But to me the future of AR lies not in persuading newcomers to also just using HF as a challenge, but also VHF etc. as free alternative to mobile phones.

Gordon M3YXH

I believe if you make ham radio big social network you will get another Facebook - bunch of people who are not very knowledgeable but entitled to speak. That would be much worse than what happened with allowing people with CB manners to cross over to ham radio.

This does not mean I am against taking new people to this wonderful hobby. I just think it should be done in manner which provides quality people.

Quote Originally Posted by yt9tp View Post
    I believe if you make ham radio big social network you will get another Facebook - bunch of people who are not very knowledgeable but entitled to speak. That would be much worse than what happened with allowing people with CB manners to cross over to ham radio.
    BINGO!

Just because we have Ham Radio as a communication tool, doesn't mean we should always use it. Cell phones are the hammers and Ham radio is the screw driver. Each has a niche and role to fill and are great for some things and poor at others - just like some bands are better for some things (160m vs 23cm).
    N5MKH - The only thing that separates man from animal is our affinity for toilet paper. Once we as a society lose that affinity we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself. Up is down and down is us and man is no longer an alpha predator.

Ham radio can be about chatting, but it shouldn't just be about chatting. It's a technical hobby. There are other avenues if you only want to use it for "mobile phone" use. It's called mobile phones.

If you turn it into a public Skype/Facebook/Twitter/mobile phone amalgam, then you no longer have ham radio. The majority rule, and if the majority of users are just non-technical "mobile phone" users, then it's no longer an actual hobby, it's just an infrastructure.

An infrastructure maintained by who?

Ham bands were set aside to allow hobbyist room to experiment in radio frequences or radio science/engineering, and that goes for all bands. I do think awareness should be raised in society for what it is capable in disater relief situations, but trying to get society to replace it with cellphones, I dont think it would be a good turn out unless society could use it responsibly.