Thread: FT817 PTT with CAT cable

Default FT817 PTT with CAT cable

Hi,

I'm trying to get PTT to work on my FT817 radio with USB to CAT cable. I'm using Digipan and it shows data coming in ok, and if I TX the waterfall stops, so I assume Digipan is transmitting, but the radio doesn't. I have seen extra PTT circuits that use opto isolators and transformers in a circuit.

What I want to know is, can the CAT cable be used on it's own to send AND receive?

Camerart.

Default No xmit?

I'm new to this CAT business and the FT-817. I've set up WSJT-X on my pc with my SCU-17 Interface Unit (IU). A few thoughts... did you install your interface unit drivers before attaching your IU to your PC? In your device drivers' area, have you selected the appropriate driver(s) for the IU? Are you using a "virtual serial" port? Have you selected the proper serial protocol, for example, 8 bits, no parity, one stop bit. Oh, and don't forget the proper baud rate set on your 817 (default is 4800 baud). Took me three days to set mine up and then found out my new 817 has a ~120 hz modulation on its carrier! Looking for a good service person and/or troubleshooting hints! For my IU, it requires an A-B USB cable from the computer to the SCU-17. From the SCU-17 I must run two cables to the 817 rear, Data and ACC. The transmit function must arrive at the 817 through the acc input, the mic's PTT line, or the mic's audio with VOX selected.. I believe.

Hi S,

I've sent a link to this thread, to someone that knows more about it than I do. I'll also be interested in the reply.

C.

I had issues with my ftdx 5000 and the scu17....
    It turned out the new scu17 I got was bad and yaesu would replace it for me...
    but in the process the tech at yaesu told me that the scu17 would not work with digipan, he suggested that I switch to fldgi...
    I did and had no more issues.

oh, I also got a signal link usb and checked it out... and digipan worked no problem...not sure which way you are going to have to go.

Hi S, (Note the 'spam' in your name is picked up by my virus checker, not good)

I spoke to my friend, but he and I use different methods to your way. I actually didn't get mine working properly, so as it is proving too difficult, have moved to different things. I am now studying Morse.

Cheers, C.

Quote Originally Posted by camerart View Post
    Hi,

I'm trying to get PTT to work on my FT817 radio with USB to CAT cable. I'm using Digipan and it shows data coming in ok, and if I TX the waterfall stops, so I assume Digipan is transmitting, but the radio doesn't. I have seen extra PTT circuits that use opto isolators and transformers in a circuit.

What I want to know is, can the CAT cable be used on it's own to send AND receive?

Camerart.
    I have to use a SignaLink sound card interface and the CAT cable on my FT847 for PSK31 operation; not sure about the FT817?

Hi M,
    Ok, thanks.
    C.