Thread: Radio Interference

Default Radio Interference

Hi,
    I am looking for some advice regarding my HF setup,
    I recently just purchased a yaesu ft-450d HF radio and a hw-40hp off centre fed dipole wire,
    And for the past week I have been having nothing but problems and it's driving me crazy,
    The radio is in my room upstairs and is connected to the hw-40hp wire, psu and the radio is grounded,
    I have ferrite rings fitted to the power lead and the coax
    My issue(s) are:
    Everytime I transmit on the radio, it sends the landline phones crazy,
    Whenever I key up the phones ring,
    My ps4 and Xbox one turns on themselves and ejects the discs inside,
    I have a yaesu ftm400 and everytime I key the HF, it sends the ftm400 crazy, the screen goes mad and the radio just shuts off,
    I have tried a dummy load to no avail,
    I have ferrite on everything and the hf radio is earthed,
    I just don't know what to do or try next,
    Any help is very much appreciated I am just so wound up as to why this is happening,
    Thanks for any advice
    Liam.

Since the radio is upstairs the length of the ground may be a problem. Try multiple grounds . MFJ has an artificial ground that may help. Also try the ferrite beads on the phone line going into the phone.
    Make sure you have a good swr and put some beads on the coax going to the antenna. Also you could try moving your antenna further away from the house or changing the direction of the antenna.
    There is a book "interference handbook" by William Orr and William R Nelson that may help.
    One last thing; reduce your power out and see when the interference stops. This will give you an idea of how much you need to do. I would start with the cheap fixes and if they do not work try the more expensive ones. Don W8PTB

Sounds like a lot of your RF is escaping from the equipment. First place I'd check is the coax, but for the benefit of us Yanks, you might describe your antenna. How high is it, and how far away is it from your house?
    Pat K7KBN
    Semper ubi sub ubi.

OP, please tell us more about your experiment with a dummy load.

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013) using Tapatalk Pro

Hi,
    The antenna is an off centre fed dipole wire with a 4:1 balun,
    I have tried ferrite clip on's on everything in the house that's being affected,
    But the problem still persists,
    When transmitting into the dummy load it did not seem as bad and sometimes didn't do it at all, it is intermittent,
    I conducted dummy load tests over a couple of days at different times,
    The antenna is near the house as I can't configure it any other way due to lack of space,
    My friend has a similar set up with his antenna to mine using a Kenwood ts2000,
    He has never experienced the same issues as me,
    Hence why I can't understand what's going on,
    Thanks
    Liam.

If it is better with a dummy load but still does it I would try a different ground or several grounds of different length. If the pluming in the house is metal that would be my 1st choice to ground it to.
    The MFJ artificial ground may help. Perhaps you have some one you could borrow one from to see if it works. Don W8PTB

Quote Originally Posted by M6LDQ View Post
    When transmitting into the dummy load it did not seem as bad and sometimes didn't do it at all, it is intermittent,
    Did you use the same coax cable? Have you tried a different length of cable? What power levels are you running?

As above; Sometimes you can change the problem by adding a length of coax. Also what frequency ? Is the problem on all frequency's or just one? Don

Hi,
    The issue is usually occurring on 20m band,
    It has been happening on my at the time 10w power,
    I have had a few guys from the local radio club who are full licences to get the power up to 100w,
    And the problem is occurring no matter what power I try,
    I have since just passed my intermediate licence and have been running 50w through the radio for a few days and it's still pretty much the same,

PS: whom can I contact to change my site username to my new callsign,

Thanks again
    Liam.