Thread: Scanning without Programming

Default Scanning without Programming

Just a wonder here. And I am sure I know the answer. But here goes.

Having not set up my radio yet, do I need to have it programmed in order to scan frequencies? I have purchased a Midland 70-1344B. I am rounding up all I need to install it in my truck. I can't see this not being usable without programming it, but I just wanted to know if someone was familiar enough to put my mind at ease.

As always, many thanks from the newb.
    Thank you and 73's all around.
    This is K3WAL. Monitoring.

Chris - Delaware USA

Quote Originally Posted by christopher walrath View Post
    Just a wonder here. And I am sure I know the answer. But here goes.

Having not set up my radio yet, do I need to have it programmed in order to scan frequencies? I have purchased a Midland 70-1344B. I am rounding up all I need to install it in my truck. I can't see this not being usable without programming it, but I just wanted to know if someone was familiar enough to put my mind at ease.

As always, many thanks from the newb.
    Hello Chris,

I was worried that when you decided to purchase that Midland Land Mobile Two-Way Radio Product, you did not understand that older Analog technology as a lot of the new people come into ham radio all enthusiastic to just go out and purchase used equipment without having any electronics background on radio communications. I've looked around on the internet for any information on those Business Band transceivers and it seems that the programming software and perhaps EPROMS are some of Midland's best kept secrets as no one has any information in the Amateur Radio Community. I can't even find authorized service shops for the Midland Products but I believe they must have some as a company can sell products but without field service shops generally their products will end up getting a real bad name. I did find this Midland website

https://midlandusa.com/wp-content/up...rvice-2013.pdf

Take NOTE that Out Of Warranty Service Charges are $130 Per Hour and you need that unit Programmed for 22 Channels on the 2 m ham band between 144.500 MHz and 148.00 MHz on the Delaware ham FM Band Plan. I sure hope you didn't pay a whole lot of money for that transceiver as of right now it's practically worthless for use as it sits.

Contact Midland Directly for their assessment and help.

Dan
    WA9WVX