Thread: 2mtr and 70cm ham band

Default 2mtr and 70cm ham band

Looking to purchase radio/s. Are 2mtr and 70cm ham bands popular communication bands these days in 2015

It varies by location. I have read posts on numerous ham radio forums that complain about there being little or no activity on 2 meters or 70 cm where the poster lives, yet here in Southern California (specifically San Diego) there is more activity than one could ever ask for. We have close to 15 active amateur radio clubs or organizations in the county and most maintain at least one operational repeater. Many clubs have repeaters on multiple bands and frequencies.

Thank you for the reply, I am K5XOM. I've been off the air for a long time. let my old call sign expire. and sold my radios. I'm really not that much of a talker. I am participating in a MVPA historic convoy coming up in September and October. It is beginning in DC and ending in San Diego. I was thinking probably a 2mtr rig might suffice to como with Hams along the way. I plan to connect with the convoy at Ft. Worth and stay with it to the finish.

At less than $40, can this dual band radio really be any good?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-BAOFENG-...item1c43a44cb3

Quote Originally Posted by kentel View Post
    Type "baofeng 5r" into the search box of almost any amateur radio forum and you'll get many, many results, which I would say 90% good reviews, 5% indifferent and 5% bad.

regards,

Rob

I went with the Baofeng UV82 which is sort of the "new and improved" and I think it's quite good, for the same price.
    Ken

WB8TCR

Well, since you are taking a road trip between Washington, D.C. to San Diego, California, here's a website that you can use in every state of the Union for all of the Repeaters along the route:

http://www.levinecentral.com/repeate...le_mapping.php

Dan
    WA9WVX

It's a classic example of "you get what you pay for." These radios are popular with beginning hams because of the price but many experience a high degree of frustration because of the difficulty in programming them. I have one I got as a raffle prize at a club meeting, but I really wouldn't buy one for myself. The only reason I'm keeping it is because it is also Part 90 (Land Mobile Radio Service) certified and I have need of those frequencies.

Quote Originally Posted by K6CPO View Post
    It varies by location. I have read posts on numerous ham radio forums that complain about there being little or no activity on 2 meters or 70 cm where the poster lives, yet here in Southern California (specifically San Diego) there is more activity than one could ever ask for. We have close to 15 active amateur radio clubs or organizations in the county and most maintain at least one operational repeater. Many clubs have repeaters on multiple bands and frequencies.
    I would even tell you that it depends on the day of the week and time of day. People need money to buy radios so they usually have a job - that means M-F 8 to 5 there is no traffic. Then from Friday night there is chatter all the way into the wee hours of Saturday morning. You can get on the radio at 2:30 AM and pick up a conversation about ammo, zombies, silent keys, Baofeng users who don't know squat, politics, religion, war, and the latest showing of The Price is Right.

Here in AZ, 70 cm and 2 m are very active so are some of the other bands that Technicians have access to.

I'm currently in the market for a mobile radio that can double as a base unit in the house. I wouldn't consider a mono-band and I'm almost about to rule out dual-banders for a tri-band or even a quad-band. 70com/2m/6m at the very least and possibly 10m for when I level up to General.
    N5MKH - The only thing that separates man from animal is our affinity for toilet paper. Once we as a society lose that affinity we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself. Up is down and down is us and man is no longer an alpha predator.

That's what I run. Radio, batteries, improved antennas, all that - all in I spent $100. You are getting what you pay for, but for a first radio, it isn't bad. If you drop it and it shatters you aren't out hundreds of dollars. I've abused mine and it is still ticking.

They get a bad rap because anyone can afford one and there are a LOT of anyones that shouldn't be on the air.
    N5MKH - The only thing that separates man from animal is our affinity for toilet paper. Once we as a society lose that affinity we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself. Up is down and down is us and man is no longer an alpha predator.

Thanks for the replies. I know, you get what you pay for. The Baofeng radios are enticing.
    GTGallop. I see Phoenix , AZ as your location. we will be coming thru Casa Grande to Gila Bend to rest and spend the night on Oct. 14, whch is convoy day 26 with 50 + vintage military vehicles.

WA9WVX, Appreciate the link. saves me a few steps to search. and is very handy to know the freqs. along the route. especially thru sparsely inhabited areas across west texas.