Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 40 of 40

Thread: Is it me?

  1. #21

    Default

    For me, ham radio is the first time I ever encountered a swr meter. I basically knew what they were for and why they existed, but that was it. Radars and computers don't use them. The air search radar I kept repaired had a built-in power meter. It was too dangerous to measure power otherwise.
    --
    73, Jim/N4AAB/AE got my Extra class license in Aug 10, 2017. Vanity call in Oct, 2014.
    Ham radio site has no popups, no music, no huge banners.
    'Through the thorns to the stars' from Ghost-in-the-Shell anime.

  2. #22
    GTGallop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Cave Creek, Arizona 85331
    Posts
    526

    Default

    Millennials.......

    Children of the participation trophy generation. It isn't going to get any better from here.
    KG7NDC

  3. #23
    park
    Guest

    Default

    I have realized I may be a little hypocritical. I have a 900 mhz repeater that I interfaced with Allstar, thought that would be fun but HAD NO IDEA how to program a Beaglebone Black with asterisk. I had a friend Do it for me and there's no way I could have figured that out.

    So if you get what I'm saying, the answer to the title of this thread is; yes.

  4. #24

    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    I live in Clanton Alabama. Right in the middle of the state
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Just found this thread and I find it interesting. I haven't had my license long and I started with tech just to see if it was something I wanted to pursue further. I'm not sure if I want to or not. I notice that this forum is like many of the other forums I've been a member of, lots of old timers get tired of answering the same old questions over and over again so they default to "Why don't you already know the answer when all you have to do is find out for yourself?" I also see a lot of advice to check with a local club. I don't have a local club. The closest club to me is an hour to an hour and a half away and with a job, I can't make that trip with any regularity. There are no elmers in my area that I can find and our local library is a joke. It only has two books and one of those is already colored in. The internet is therefore my only hope. The awesome thing is, there are forums like this one that new hams like myself find on the internet and we use it as one of those many resources that I see everyone talking about. Apparently, this seems to be frowned upon or at least discouraged, unless of course the questions are of a certain caliber. I don't think there is anyone here who became a ham without ever having talked to someone else about it at some point. I would also wager that everyone here, when they were new, has asked at least one question that they would consider not worthy of answering today. I thought that this forum might be a good resource, a place to learn more about ham radio. It would appear that the lack of elmers is due to old timers not having the patience to deal with the stupid questions that newbies ask or the simple problems that plaque newbies. It also would seem that some people have forgotten how much technology has jumped since the 60's. It's true I didn't have to learn CW to get my license, but did you have to learn digital to get yours? You had years to learn the new technologies as they came out, but we should already know it before we try for a license. I also noticed that techs seem to be frowned upon. Like they lack the ambition to get the extra class license. Maybe, or maybe 2m is all they're interested in. Why does it seem that a person is viewed as inferior or not worthy simply because they stopped at a certain level? Luckily there are resources online where a person can learn what they want to learn without being made to feel like a lesser person or that they are nothing more than an annoyance to those who have been licensed for 50 years simply because they don't know everything yet and are curious. This is the reason I quit frequenting many of the forums that I was a member of. Just as a matter of opinion though, if you want people to use Google as a resource to learn about amateur radio, you should probably try to realize that Google is how I found this forum and I expected it to be a resource. I'm getting the feeling though that this forum is more for rag chewing than a place for people to learn more about the amateur radio hobby. 73's

  5. #25

    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GTGallop View Post
    Millennials.......

    Children of the participation trophy generation. It isn't going to get any better from here.
    As a millennial, I agree. The good news is I don't think anyone who wants everything handed to them will pursue ham radio when you can call or FaceTime or text message someone. Sort of a catch-22. The hobby might decline in participation, but those who are involved will stay at the same level of proficiency. Granted, we don't have to know CW any more, but everything else we do.

    Quote Originally Posted by km4fpz View Post
    Just found this thread and I find it interesting. I haven't had my license long and I started with tech just to see if it was something I wanted to pursue further. I'm not sure if I want to or not. I notice that this forum is like many of the other forums I've been a member of, lots of old timers get tired of answering the same old questions over and over again so they default to "Why don't you already know the answer when all you have to do is find out for yourself?" I also see a lot of advice to check with a local club. I don't have a local club. The closest club to me is an hour to an hour and a half away and with a job, I can't make that trip with any regularity. There are no elmers in my area that I can find and our local library is a joke. It only has two books and one of those is already colored in. The internet is therefore my only hope. The awesome thing is, there are forums like this one that new hams like myself find on the internet and we use it as one of those many resources that I see everyone talking about. Apparently, this seems to be frowned upon or at least discouraged, unless of course the questions are of a certain caliber. I don't think there is anyone here who became a ham without ever having talked to someone else about it at some point. I would also wager that everyone here, when they were new, has asked at least one question that they would consider not worthy of answering today. I thought that this forum might be a good resource, a place to learn more about ham radio. It would appear that the lack of elmers is due to old timers not having the patience to deal with the stupid questions that newbies ask or the simple problems that plaque newbies. It also would seem that some people have forgotten how much technology has jumped since the 60's. It's true I didn't have to learn CW to get my license, but did you have to learn digital to get yours? You had years to learn the new technologies as they came out, but we should already know it before we try for a license. I also noticed that techs seem to be frowned upon. Like they lack the ambition to get the extra class license. Maybe, or maybe 2m is all they're interested in. Why does it seem that a person is viewed as inferior or not worthy simply because they stopped at a certain level? Luckily there are resources online where a person can learn what they want to learn without being made to feel like a lesser person or that they are nothing more than an annoyance to those who have been licensed for 50 years simply because they don't know everything yet and are curious. This is the reason I quit frequenting many of the forums that I was a member of. Just as a matter of opinion though, if you want people to use Google as a resource to learn about amateur radio, you should probably try to realize that Google is how I found this forum and I expected it to be a resource. I'm getting the feeling though that this forum is more for rag chewing than a place for people to learn more about the amateur radio hobby. 73's
    Interesting observation and something I've noticed a bit too.

    I undertake many less popular hobbies for someone my age, many of which are stereotypically "old-man" hobbies like scuba diving and shooting sports. Out of those, the internet community seems very warm, welcoming, and tolerant of newbies. Plenty of forums exist to ask the stupid questions, whereas there are only a handful of ham radio forums that don't have the traffic that a scuba diving or firearms related site does.

    That being said, getting into ham radio isn't exactly straight forward. You have to get your license before you get to play around with anything. No driving lessons to learn in a safe environment. No scuba class in a pool where you learn about the equipment and how it all works together. Ham radio, on the other hand, requires you to get licensed and then figure it out if you're not lucky enough to have a club locally or know anyone involved in it. Taking a class is an option, but they're few and far between.

    While I'll admit, this hasn't been the easiest hobby to learn, it's fascinating. But I do agree, the resources on ham radio are definitely lacking compared to other hobbies. With any luck I'll pass my technician license test tomorrow and get to play around on 2m/70cm to get a feel before branching out into HF.

  6. #26

    Default

    I find hams more responsive here than on other forums. Myself, I don't have much to say answering most questions as I'm still new to all of this.

    I do have other hobbies; dice collecting, playing Everquest an MMO, learing more about my ancestors.

    Didn't realize anyone collected dice until about 10 years ago when I saw some online.
    --
    73, Jim/N4AAB/AE got my Extra class license in Aug 10, 2017. Vanity call in Oct, 2014.
    Ham radio site has no popups, no music, no huge banners.
    'Through the thorns to the stars' from Ghost-in-the-Shell anime.

  7. #27

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Elgin, Illinois
    Posts
    1,641

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by km4fpz View Post
    Just found this thread and I find it interesting. I haven't had my license long and I started with tech just to see if it was something I wanted to pursue further. I'm not sure if I want to or not. I notice that this forum is like many of the other forums I've been a member of, lots of old timers get tired of answering the same old questions over and over again so they default to "Why don't you already know the answer when all you have to do is find out for yourself?" I also see a lot of advice to check with a local club. I don't have a local club. The closest club to me is an hour to an hour and a half away and with a job, I can't make that trip with any regularity. There are no elmers in my area that I can find and our local library is a joke. It only has two books and one of those is already colored in. The internet is therefore my only hope. The awesome thing is, there are forums like this one that new hams like myself find on the internet and we use it as one of those many resources that I see everyone talking about. Apparently, this seems to be frowned upon or at least discouraged, unless of course the questions are of a certain caliber. I don't think there is anyone here who became a ham without ever having talked to someone else about it at some point. I would also wager that everyone here, when they were new, has asked at least one question that they would consider not worthy of answering today. I thought that this forum might be a good resource, a place to learn more about ham radio. It would appear that the lack of elmers is due to old timers not having the patience to deal with the stupid questions that newbies ask or the simple problems that plaque newbies. It also would seem that some people have forgotten how much technology has jumped since the 60's. It's true I didn't have to learn CW to get my license, but did you have to learn digital to get yours? You had years to learn the new technologies as they came out, but we should already know it before we try for a license. I also noticed that techs seem to be frowned upon. Like they lack the ambition to get the extra class license. Maybe, or maybe 2m is all they're interested in. Why does it seem that a person is viewed as inferior or not worthy simply because they stopped at a certain level? Luckily there are resources online where a person can learn what they want to learn without being made to feel like a lesser person or that they are nothing more than an annoyance to those who have been licensed for 50 years simply because they don't know everything yet and are curious. This is the reason I quit frequenting many of the forums that I was a member of. Just as a matter of opinion though, if you want people to use Google as a resource to learn about amateur radio, you should probably try to realize that Google is how I found this forum and I expected it to be a resource. I'm getting the feeling though that this forum is more for rag chewing than a place for people to learn more about the amateur radio hobby. 73's
    Hello Jason,

    I did a quick search on the County you live in and there are "77" Amateur Radio Operators that live within this County ... You're not the only one. In fact, there is an Amateur Radio Club closer than you think, KF4LQK AEMA Amateur Radio Club of Clanton, Alabama and easily less than a hour away. 5898 CO RD 41 Drawer 2160, Clanton, AL. 35046-2160 The Clubs Trustee, Fred Springall KR4YK of MONTGOMERY, AL. BTW, here are a few hams that I'm guessing you probably know that live in Clanton, AL.

    KA4RSP JERRY D PATTERSON
    KB4UEW MICHAEL A KNIZEL
    KB4VEN DAVE M PUCKETT
    KD4CYM WINFRED BROWN, JR
    KE4LEI Michael R West
    KE4YKB JAMES R LANGSTON
    KF4AOD PHILIP M WIGLEY
    KF4LYV BILL R COLLUM
    KF4QJW CHARLES L LONGSHORE
    KF4RCS Wendell B Smithermen
    KF4TRA HERBERT E SHAW
    KI4TWA Jim D McCullough
    KI4VAE Westly L Martin
    KJ4VRQ JOSHUA S INMAN
    KK4BM ROGER C LITTLEFIELD
    KK4DUQ Jack A Rietkerk, JR
    KK4IZ CLAYTON W BRYANT
    KK4TVN Charles B McLaughlin
    KM4EEN Jeff S Williams
    KM4FPZ Jason O Logan
    KX4DC William D Cupp
    N4ION NEIL E TAYLOR
    N4PGP Nemesio R Sosa
    N4RGZ THOMAS C BATES
    N4UPD ANTHONY J KELLEY
    N4UXS JOAN M MOORE
    N4UXT HENRY E MOORE, SR
    N4XKL LAMAR B DAVIS
    N4XNU BRYAN D DAVIS
    N4ZWT JAMES R ADAMS
    W1MHD RAYMOND F JONES, JR
    WA4RIM IRBY H FANNING, JR
    WA4TIP JOHN W BUTLER
    WB4UQT Christopher W Johnson
    WD4HIB LELAND M TUCKER

    Try to locate these people in the Telephone White Pages as they ALL live in Clanton, Alabama. You might mention that you're a new ham in the area and are seeking out an "ELMER" to help you with the practical side of Amateur Radio for Antennas, SWR Meter, Radio transceivers, Coaxial cables, How to set up your home station and car installation with an external antenna, Attending the monthly Amateur Radio Club Meetings and that you have a handheld transceiver on 2 m.

    Dan
    WA9WVX
    Elgin, Illinois
    Remember I'm just an Old Guy that knows how to use the Internet for required information.

  8. #28

    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    I live in Clanton Alabama. Right in the middle of the state
    Posts
    17

    Default

    I decided to edit my post because I really don't want to go down that road. Suffice it to say, once I get a decent rig and have more capabilities, I won't have to listen to silent repeaters or look for clubs that don't seem to be active at all. I'll figure it out little by little and I'll do it with the help of people who are genuinely happy to help new people learn more about this fascinating hobby, not people who seem to have the idea that only certain questions are worthy of answering and all others must be met with sarcasm or rudeness. My earlier post was simply meant to point out the attitudes of superiority that some people seem to have and to maybe get people to think about how they talk to others. If the questions or comments are really that irritating, why not make it clear that newbies are not welcome since this is not the forum for them? As for internet skills, I would imagine that I've spent just a bit more time researching my area and all that it offers, so I think the information provided was a little lacking. Also note, my name is on that list. I also notice that some of the licencees on that list are expired, meaning they don't get on the radio anymore. I'm not sure how that proves the activity level here is any different than what I said it was, but ok.
    Last edited by km4fpz; Tue 14th Jul 2015 at 01:52.

  9. #29
    K7KBN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bremerton WA USA
    Posts
    1,292

    Default

    The title of this thread is "Is It Me?"

    Yes, Jason. It's you.
    73
    Pat K7KBN
    Semper ubi sub ubi.

  10. #30

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Elgin, Illinois
    Posts
    1,641

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by km4fpz View Post
    I decided to edit my post because I really don't want to go down that road. Suffice it to say, once I get a decent rig and have more capabilities, I won't have to listen to silent repeaters or look for clubs that don't seem to be active at all. I'll figure it out little by little and I'll do it with the help of people who are genuinely happy to help new people learn more about this fascinating hobby, not people who seem to have the idea that only certain questions are worthy of answering and all others must be met with sarcasm or rudeness. My earlier post was simply meant to point out the attitudes of superiority that some people seem to have and to maybe get people to think about how they talk to others. If the questions or comments are really that irritating, why not make it clear that newbies are not welcome since this is not the forum for them? As for internet skills, I would imagine that I've spent just a bit more time researching my area and all that it offers, so I think the information provided was a little lacking. Also note, my name is on that list. I also notice that some of the licencees on that list are expired, meaning they don't get on the radio anymore. I'm not sure how that proves the activity level here is any different than what I said it was, but ok.
    Jason,

    By kerchunking a repeater will not always bring people to respond to that. You should Key up, provide your call letters and say, I'm looking for a signal report and/or a QSO. I'm thinking that you don't believe all of those call signs and people live in Clanton, AL although they're bona fide Amateur Radio Operators. Perhaps those same people have purchased the D-Star handhelds and mobiles as I'm not a resident of Clanton, Alabama. Break out of your comfort zone, look up some of those names I've provided and you may be in for a BIG surprise as I've always heard that the people living in the Southern United States are real friendly. BTW, even though the D-Star repeaters are Digital and connect to the internet, they are also backwards compatible with Analog FM being a form of dual mode repeaters and depending on how the individual hams have programmed their D-Star transceivers may be part of your issue of not being heard ... again I don't know those hams so I obviously cannot attest to how their D-Star units are programmed ... much less really care.

    I thought I'd provide you with a bit more information I've randomly picked within Clanton:

    N4ZWT Technician
    James Adams
    403 County Rd 629
    Clanton, AL 35045

    KJ4VRQ General
    Joshua Inman
    110 Lilla Avenue
    Clanton, AL 35045

    KB4VEN General
    Dave Puckett
    1507 2ND AVE N
    CLANTON, AL 35045

    WA4TIP Advanced
    John Butler
    1004 Wood Duck Road
    Clanton, AL 35045

    WB4UQT Extra
    Chris Johnson
    1925 Lay Dam Rd
    Clanton, AL 35045

    Josh if You cannot at least try to find these people, come out of your shell or comfort zone to introduce yourself within the town you live in then you are pathetic. Don't come back to complain that the older hams haven't tried to answer questions, help locate other hams, that the world is against you, heaven knows why you feel we should just come running to your aid. All of the previous hams all started at either a Novice or Technician level and some how we went through the same things you are dealing with although "we" were more resourceful because there wasn't an internet or any forums to cry the blues on. I haven't read anything that YOU have written that provides the following traits as an Amateur Radio Operator:

    These are the Amateur Radio Codes we live by:

    One - The Amateur is Gentlemanly

    Two - The Amateur is Loyal

    Three - The Amateur is Progressive

    Four - The Amateur is Friendly

    Five - The Amateur is Balanced

    Six - The Amateur is Patriotic

    Written by Paul M. Segal

    In the American Radio Relay League's Handbook ... something You seem to refuse to purchase and learn how to become a True Amateur Radio Operator. I owned my first copy three (3) years before I ever took a test for entering into this hobby.

    Dan
    WA9WVX
    Elgin, Illinois

  11. #31

    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    I live in Clanton Alabama. Right in the middle of the state
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Nice. I guess you think I've somehow asked for your help? I don't remember asking for help. I was mostly talking about posts that I've seen others make and the replies that they were given. I didn't see gentlemanly, loyal, progressive, friendly or balanced in some of those posts. I didn't come here to ask about the people in my town. I merely mentioned the treatment I've seen others subjected to. Of course you have no idea who I know or don't know in this town. The fact is, I'm pretty well connected in this town so I know an awful lot of people here. I also don't remember ever saying that I only listen on the repeater here in town. In fact, I do provide my call sign and try to get a reply but to no avail. As far as "Don't come back to complain that the older hams haven't tried to answer questions, help locate other hams, that the world is against you, heaven knows why you feel we should just come running to your aid", I haven't asked any questions so I don't know where that came from, I haven't asked to locate anyone, I've never said anything about the world being for or against anyone and I have asked no one to come to my aid. I have frequently wondered why it is that people on forums (not just this one) feel the need to belittle others for not knowing something they themselves once didn't know or treat others like they aren't worth their time? On other forums, I am one of the advice givers and I always treat every question as if it's the first time I've heard it. I have had this same conversation on some of those other forums and got the same hostile treatment from arrogant people who presume to be of a higher breed simply because they know more than someone else. Everyone started somewhere, it just so happens that people these days start on the internet. I think it's great that you had to do things the hard way but that doesn't mean the information is any more valid because you read it in a book instead of on a screen. I've said it before and I'll say it again, it appears that this is a forum for experts, novices need not apply. This statement shows how you feel and I'm fine with that "All of the previous hams all started at either a Novice or Technician level and some how we went through the same things you are dealing with although "we" were more resourceful because there wasn't an internet or any forums to cry the blues on.". I just think it's a bit pompous to act like no one is as resourceful as you just because our methods are different. Just so you know, I read quite a few books, I'm partial to 18th and 19th century literature myself. So, how do you know that I refuse to purchase a copy of the ARRL's handbook? It seems to me that you are upset that people these days can pass with relative ease a test it took you three years to study for. I would say this to you friend, if you want the novices to be gone, no problem. I'll look to more friendly environs and leave you to it.

  12. #32

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Elgin, Illinois
    Posts
    1,641

    Default

    Bye, bye, Jason.

    I was only trying to help you meet the real hams of Clanton, Alabama and I seem to remember providing you a website for all of the repeaters in Alabama. I really wonder how you will be greeted at those Amateur Radio Clubs 60 to 90 miles away when you claim in previous posts that you can't get the time off from work ... You MUST be real important to live at your Job.

    For Modern World Literature, you're impressing me. I had a very good friend who attended Eastern Illinois University and his Major was History ... he continued for his Masters in History but some how the university lost some of his credit hours, I know had that been me, I would threatened them with a Lawsuit for incompetence. He then found a job as an Insurance Salesman but didn't like working in that industry not because of the Salary but more like doing the Sales and Collections. He eventually ended his career there and tried several different jobs till he ended up doing carpeting cleaning. Yes he made a living at that but for all of his college background, he might as well put match to the money for the student loans that he had to pay back. My best friend and best man died 2 months ago penniless.

    I'm now thinking you're in the educational field by staying up till all hours of the night. Being a self proclaimed advisor to many on a subject that you cannot wrap your hands or head around. Go right ahead and purchase whatever you want in this hobby but at some point in time, you will realize that perhaps you could have been more straight forward with the people here on the Ham Radio Forum.

    You seem to think that You are so much more intelligent than the rest of us that came up through this hobby. My hobby lead me into my career working with hundreds of engineers at Motorola, Inc and I personally interfaced with the customers all the way up to the President of the corporation ... I ate, drank and slept Communications Electronics during my career and watch people come and go during that time, the good, bad and the wanna bees. In essence I will accept your thoughts with a grain a salt ... either way it doesn't really matter.

    Dan
    WA9WVX

  13. #33

    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    I live in Clanton Alabama. Right in the middle of the state
    Posts
    17

    Default

    You must be very proud. I already had the repeater list, pretty easy to get, even for an idiot like me. At no point have I claimed any manner of importance at my job, I merely made mention of the fact that I don't really care to travel that far after I get off work. I'm sorry for your friend's plight and your loss but I never had any intention on making money reading, I just find it an enjoyable activity, much in the same way that I never intend on making money camping or blacksmithing but I enjoy those as well. It's not about the money. I'm not sure why you think I stay up till all hours of the night, most nights I go to bed at 10 or so. Should I be looking out my window? No, I'm not in the educational field, although I have done educational shows at schools, that was many moons ago and I have no inkling to return to it. As far as being an advisor, yes, there are certain subjects that I am proficient in and in those subjects, I try to help people learn about them when they have an interest. I'm not exactly sure what it is you wanted me to be straight forward about, I confess I don't know what that means. I said what was on my mind and I don't remember fabricating any stories or telling tales out of school. Maybe I did and just forgot. I never claimed to be more intelligent than anyone at all. In fact, I haven't even hinted at it. Intelligence and patience are not always linked, I was merely commenting on the lack of patience I have seen with some of the new people on here. That seemed to be the topic of the thread and I had an opinion. Since at least one person also saw the same thing I did, I don't think I'm completely wrong here. You seem to be very proud of your accomplishments and you should be, I feel you are to be commended for your accomplishments. I don't think it's a good idea to presume to know my accomplishments or lack thereof. If you don't like my opinions, that's fine, you aren't required to like anything, but don't discount me simply because you feel I'm inferior in some way. If you honestly can't see the tone that I've seen you take with people asking questions, maybe it's something to look back over. It seems to me that you have decided to latch onto me not hearing anyone on the local repeaters and automatically assumed it's my fault, like there's no way possible that interest has died to the point of no activity here. Check out the local club for yourself, try to find the website. It doesn't exist. No traffic on a repeater? Are you going to keep monitoring hoping that someone, someday will pop in and say hi? Maybe no one else around here did either. Throw a CB in your vehicle and ride the interstates around here, there are no drivers talking on them anymore, not that I mind. Not long ago, the airwaves were full of jawjackers but they are a dying breed. I don't even mind the lack of activity here. There are people on the radio somewhere and that seems to be the fun of the hobby, finding them and meeting them. Now, the locals, they may not be interested in 2m. Maybe they are on a band I can't use yet. Maybe, they just got tired of it, lost interest or just couldn't afford it anymore. I've been through the whole list of hams in Chilton County (not just Clanton) months ago. I figured I would check to see if anyone I knew was on. A few names look familiar but I just don't know. As far as meeting them goes, I may, but that's my decision to make. If I choose to try out a gathering first, I don't see a problem with that. You clearly do, but I think, since this is a hobby, folks should take things at their own pace. Do things as they get to it. What I buy, not much, simple 2m rig push up an antenna outside, check everything out with the proper test gear, I don't see a problem with that. I think a mobile 2m only would do a little better than the $30 HT I got off Amazon. I'm learning the way I'm comfortable with. I'm also trying to get some of my coworkers and friends to try it out. So far, they have no interest in anything more technical than how to get their trucks to be as loud as possible and driving through mud (not kidding). The simple fact of the matter is, I haven't really looked for an elmer very hard because I'm trying to learn at my own pace. Every day I learn more and I don't want to be that guy that asks all the questions, especially if I can look it up myself. Have you noticed I haven't asked any questions? I'm starting small and I want to do it myself, little by little as a personal challenge. Sure, I'll eventually meet people and ask questions, but why not take as many steps as I can on my own before I do? I came here to read, just like I go to QRZ and the ARRL site among others to read and learn. I watch Youtube videos, I plan on getting manuals, books, whatever it takes to learn as much as I can. I won't ask for your help, personally, I don't want it. I just thought maybe you could think a bit more about the people you do help. Kind words gain more ground than getting irritated. One of the biggest things I hear is how newbies have it so easy and they don't have to know anything to get a license these days. That may be true, but does that mean they should be made to feel stupid just because they came in at a time when it was easier to get a license? I don't know what the tests were like back in the day. CW? Fine, if you want to use it, no problem. What if you don't want to? I have no intention of ever using CW but I do intend to learn it anyway. I also have no interest in data at the moment. I just want to talk to people. There are places like this if I just want to watch words flash across a screen. I want to hear the person I'm talking to. I want it to be personal. That's just me. You may prefer CW or data, so be it. I'll continue to read here because I might pick up something that I missed elsewhere but I won't be asking for help here. If you want to continue to berate me for being the only person on earth who can't make contacts because I am apparently repeater repellent, go for it. I don't care. I'll still learn in spite of it. And I may learn something from you, whether you like it or not. I just won't ask for it

  14. #34

    Default

    Montgomery isn't that far from me. The ham clubs up here have repeaters on Mt. Cheaha. The highest location in Alabama at 2407 feet above sea level.

    And my education is a Bacherlors degree in applied computer science. 6 years in the US Navy as a radar tech. 30 years as a computer tech.
    --
    73, Jim/N4AAB/AE got my Extra class license in Aug 10, 2017. Vanity call in Oct, 2014.
    Ham radio site has no popups, no music, no huge banners.
    'Through the thorns to the stars' from Ghost-in-the-Shell anime.

  15. #35

    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    I live in Clanton Alabama. Right in the middle of the state
    Posts
    17

    Default

    That's cool. I've spent some time on Cheaha as a kid with my dad. It looks like you're about an hour and a half northwest of me. I actually heard some folks from the Montgomery club the other night but the signal was too weak for me to hear well. Apparently there is a repeater north of Montgomery near Eclectic so my goal will be eventually to get together with those guys and maybe even join the club. A recent hit to the wallet has put some of my plans on hold for a bit but I'm in no rush. I'll keep reading and learning and when everything falls into place I'll be ready to run. I've been planning a camping trip to Cheaha but I think I'll wait till the heat dies down some. Maybe more towards October or so. If I do, maybe I'll run into you on the air! 73's

  16. #36

    Default

    I am just now seeing this thread and not sure if anyone will see my post or reply but I love ham radio. I upgraded to my General some years ago but law school has taken over and I have not attempted my next class as of yet. If anybody reads this and is from the clanton area, let me know! I love the hobby and unfortunately, around here, there aren't many people that use them regularly. I'm always up for meeting with people who like the hobby.

  17. #37

    Default

    I'm a new ham. Unfortunately you can't blame the people that are undertaking the courses because you have to undertake the courses and pass the exams that you are set.

    You should be criticising ofcom, as I think they set the syllabus and run the exams.

    I recently had no idea about ham radio and having passed the foundation exam only have a little bit more than no idea about ham radio.
    To be very honest, this is exactly what we mean - no offence intended, but if you want something, then you kind of have a moral duty to put some time and effort into researching it, BEFORE, you become one!

    You cannot say it's the fault of OFCOM or the RSGB - that's like blaming the DVLA for being a bad driver. If you read the radio licence it is all about SELF-TRAINING, as in you do the learning. It is not the local radio clubs duty to teach you, it's your duty to learn. They are what are called facilitators and they promote a learning environment.

    The idea is not just to learn the set texts, but to try to understand the subject in a way that makes you take that first step to being a well rounded ham. Not just somebody who understood little apart from the words.

    It's like when you were at school learning trigonometry, and some bright spark would always say "what's the point, I'll never use this" - and then ten years later is working as a surveyor, using it all the time, or as I discovered recently, arborists use it to measure the height of trees. If you really want to be a ham, then you never stop learning and improving whatever aspect of it you are interested in.

    Some of the questions asked are so basic, it's embarrassing responding, trying not to just be amazed. Like Ken said above - those folk who have no idea how to even work a VSWR meter, et alone understand what it does. I'm not sure that there is any point in a licence lower than the full one. Clearly, you can pass the basic version with no radio skills at all. Sorry, but for every decent new licensee there appear to be far more people who happily demonstrate their ignorance, with no shame at not knowing.

    Those posts that start "I've just got my licence, and can't get into my local repeater. I bought a Baofeng radio and I typed in 433.100GHz, and it doesn't work", plus those people who buy a UHF hand held, and can't access 2m repeaters. This is just embarrassing!

  18. #38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by km4fpz View Post
    That's cool. I've spent some time on Cheaha as a kid with my dad. It looks like you're about an hour and a half northwest of me. I actually heard some folks from the Montgomery club the other night but the signal was too weak for me to hear well. Apparently there is a repeater north of Montgomery near Eclectic so my goal will be eventually to get together with those guys and maybe even join the club. A recent hit to the wallet has put some of my plans on hold for a bit but I'm in no rush. I'll keep reading and learning and when everything falls into place I'll be ready to run. I've been planning a camping trip to Cheaha but I think I'll wait till the heat dies down some. Maybe more towards October or so. If I do, maybe I'll run into you on the air! 73's
    Our club is doing a Civial Conservation Corps special event station this weekend. Cold and possible rain. They are using the pavillion on Tower road, it has 2 fireplaces. I think they are going to be on 40m and 20m. I can't make it, I'm on antibiotics with some 'wonderful' side effects and things I'm not allowed to do... like be in sunlight.

    The entrance fee is now $5 per person to Cheaha State Part. Seniors, I think that starts at age 62, pay only $2 to get in. There is a CCC musem on top of Mt. Cheaha.

    I have some maps and photos on my hiking site: http://hiking.drivein-jim.net/

    We help with the Cheaha Challenge, bicycle race, each May.
    Last edited by N4AAB; Tue 24th Oct 2017 at 20:20. Reason: typo in url
    --
    73, Jim/N4AAB/AE got my Extra class license in Aug 10, 2017. Vanity call in Oct, 2014.
    Ham radio site has no popups, no music, no huge banners.
    'Through the thorns to the stars' from Ghost-in-the-Shell anime.

  19. #39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by adventurer View Post
    In the America exams, are you told the questions before you sit the exam? Because I am wondering how can you memorise the questions unless you know what they are?
    http://www.ncvec.org/page.php?id=338

    Quote Originally Posted by WA9WVX View Post
    Here in the United States from what I know is the American Radio Relay League, Inc. has set up many existing radio clubs to teach the new people about ham radio through a 6 week course maybe 2 hours a session taught by all volunteers and the Exams are administrated by ARRL authorized VECs. Twelve hours is hardly enough time to cover the theory for electronics, antennas, operating practices, selection of equipment and the F.C.C. Rules & Regulations plus the Frequency Bands allowed to operate for the entry level Technician, then the General and finally the Extra Classes of licenses.

    From talking with other hams locally, we've decided that the ARRL is at fault for the type of operators we have today, it seems that all the ARRL is interested in numbers rather than quality of the new ham operators. Of course there's a hidden fact that the ARRL was hoping for bigger numbers of the new Amateur Radio Operators were going to Join the ARRL for QST magazine which equates out to more USD "MONEY" or revenue ... I believe they have fallen short of any projected new membership. Then consider what the big Amateur Radio Manufactures must have envisioned as for their products being sold to the new ham operators ... more $$$$$$ revenue.

    I have voiced my opinion on this situation via e-mail to my Illinois Section Manager and the Headquarters on the eastcoast, and the Illinois Section Manager thought I had a "Bad Attitude" and I never received even an acknowledgement from ARRL Headquarters. I believe the ARRL people are in denial about this whole dreadful mess and now that the barn door was left open, there's no way turning anything back to the starting point.
    First, and most of all the ARRL is a national association or amateur radio operators. They have nothing to do with establishing clubs or setting up licensing classes. Clubs are formed by individual hams that may or may not be ARRL members. Once formed, a club may become an ARRL "affiliated club" if it meets certain criteria, but the ARRL has no control over it. The same with licensing classes. Also, the ARRL is only one of fourteen VECs across the country that administer license exams. Here in San Diego County (CA,) the bulk of license exams are administered by the San Diego Amateur Radio Council (SANDARC) VEC.

    The ARRL is not to blame for the current "mess" (if one actually exists.) It was the FCC's idea to offload license examination responsibility many years ago and they're in agreement with the system as it exists today. Also, the dropping of the Morse Code requirement, which many old-timers say is the reason for the "poor" operators getting licensed today, was actually precipitated by the IARU saying it was no longer necessary.

    Part of the problem rests right in the laps of the amateur radio community, particularly those who sit behind their keyboards or microphones and whine or bitch about new operators instead of helping them. What happened to the ham radio tradition of the "Elmer?" If you don't like the situation, get off your butts and do something about it, rather than sniveling all the time.

    Quote Originally Posted by N4AAB View Post
    The question and answer pool can be downloaded from the fcc.gov web site.
    The question pools are created and maintained by the National Council of Volunteer Examiner Coordinators (NCVEC) and are on their website, not the FCC web site. (See my link above...)

  20. #40

    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    With my wife
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Here it's November '17, I just found this thread and here I am resurrecting an old, dead zombie thread anyway, sorry. So, here goes from the forum noob...

    While I notice the forum apparently originates out of the United Kingdom, it seems all are welcome. So, in the interests of international goodwill and all that, I formally declare if someone asks me a question I will do my best to answer it or at least point you in a direction. That is because after 21 years in, I still remember being a noob and how it can be intimidating sometimes. Now, having only had experience with ham radio in North America I may not be the best one to ask about things specific to a different global area. Like for example, without looking it up I couldn't tell you how the RSGB has its license class system set up, or how reciprocal agreements between Asia and Africa work. But, the general knowledge items I can probably be helpful with. I would like to think I'm not above any question but if it's patently obvious someone isn't even trying I may not be particularly prompt with an answer through the forum. Also, slang terminology from other parts of the world will probably throw me off; please refrain if applicable. I know what knickers are and what a fag means in the UK, but I could easily get off track with some of the more obscure (to me) references. That doesn't mean I don't want to learn some though. Just that if I seem confused at first, that is probably why. Or I couldn't find it on Google or Duck Duck Go or wherever.

    So, having said all that, if someone has a question about something radio (or other), I'm willing to try to provide an answer without any of the 'attitude flavoring'. In the interests of full disclosure, I've also been known to tell it like it is (pleasantly or otherwise) and be antagonistic if prodded that way; I guess that makes me human after all. So, feel free to post a question and if I see it I will answer it to the best of my ability as I see things from my spot in the forests of the Pacific North West in the USA at CN86jc. Greetings and salutations my ethereal brethren.



    Oh, and as others have already mentioned Ken; maybe it is you after all. But I get the sentiment. Completely.

    73, Eric wz7u

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •