Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is it me?

Well, I did download the question pool from the fcc web site, or I could just be misremembering it...

Anyway, howdy Eric. Welcome to the forums. Scrolling down this thread you will see my tech experience has been in computer repair and vacuum tube/valve radar. So I am kinda still lost when it comes to hearing a voice come back at me instead of a blip on the radar screen. :-)
    --
    73, Jim/N4AAB/AE got my Extra class license in Aug 10, 2017. Vanity call in Oct, 2014.
    Ham radio site has no popups, no music, no huge banners.
    'Through the thorns to the stars' from Ghost-in-the-Shell anime.

Quote Originally Posted by park View Post
    I guess what I am saying is I'm amazed at the number of people who have a ham license and don't know (or can't figure out) how to operate their "rig".
    AC5PS / Ken
    I took my General Test in Buffalo in 1962 and after the 13 wpm cw test we took the written one. I do not recall the number of questions, but one of them was a schematic of either a radio receiver or an audio circuit. "Why won't this work?" and the answer was a missing coupling condens (oops! Hi) capacitor.
    Is that still in the General test, Ken? Hi again.
    Charlie, K3UIM

Quote Originally Posted by adventurer View Post
    I even managed to crimp some power pole
    connectors on myself
    Didn't that hurt??
    Last edited by K7KBN; Tue 10th Apr 2018 at 06:12.
    Pat K7KBN
    Semper ubi sub ubi.

I'm firmly under the impression that the biggest problem is the speed of qualification. People get a licence on a whim. They have no knowledge of the hobby and the speed they can do a test and get the licence is simply too quick. Can you imagine how bad the roads would be if people could take a simplified driving test and be behind the wheel of a car with no on the road experience, just knowledge of the Highway Code. The lower licence classes used to be so you could become a good operator before getting access to additional bands - now you can be a new ham with the most tricky licence, and if you have deep pockets go out and spend thousands and cause havoc!

With cars we have proper L plates in the UK, you drive with somebody supervising till your practical skills are good enough. A child can learn the current beginners licence here with NO test of understanding, and that is the bad thing. The test is not designed to test understanding - otherwise we'd not have people with a licence popping up on the forums asking questions we all gape at! As in "I'm a licensed ham, what do I have to do to use a repeater?" or having to ask how long an antenna is for a certain band?