Thread: History: Ham Radio & More Show Uploaded

Default History: Ham Radio & More Show Uploaded

UPDATE: 70 shows are now uploaded and available to listen to. More coming regularly. Email me with any specific shows you want quicker.Thank you to all of you listening and thanks to all of you that have sent me emails saying how much they enjoy the history, nostalgia and my "personality". http://www.hamradioandmore.com/shows.htm I have uploaded the final show we aired with my very aggressive tirade against many organizations and issues. Enjoy
    Len, KH7LW (former kb7lpw)

Default Updated 1/22/2016 Ham Radio Shows Uploaded

As of today, 1/21/2016, 142 shows have been uploaded for free listening on demand.
    These are just some of the special show topics available:

Senator Barry Goldwater, K7UGA (2 full hours)(3/28/1993)
    Princess Elettra Marconi (Her father invented radio)
    Al Gross, W8PAL (1st visit on our show) 8/4/91
    10/11/92 AL GROSS, W8PAL (WW2 Secrets Exposed)
    Al Gross, W8PAL & Fred Link, W2ALU (Radio pioneers)(10/17/1993)
    Al Gross, W8PAL 1st Walkie-Talkie (2 full hours)(Joan Eleanor Project during WW2)(3/13/1994)
    2nd Hour famous SHERIFF JOE ARPAIO, Communication Posse (8/28/94)
    Jerry Ziliak, KB6MT Learning Morse Code (2 full hours)(4/23/1995)
    Bill Pasternak Newline (1st appearance of many, on HR&M, 2 full hours)
    Lyle Johnson, WA7GXD (Founder of TAPR, & pioneer in amateur radio packet, TNC)(7/12/1992)
    2/20/94 LYLE JOHNSON WA7GXD(KK7P) PACKET / TAPR 1200 baud rate..LOLOLOL
    WAYNE GREEN, W2NSD 73 MAGAZINE(2 full hours)No more youngsters in hobby(8/14/1994)
    BOB HEIL, K9EID HEIL SOUND CO. (all about sound, <2nd hour>dsp, Dolby, AC3, THX, etc)(7/17/1994)
    CW REQUIREMENT DEBATE WITH FRED MAIA, W5YI & NANCY KOTT, WZ8C, FISTS(4/27/1997) A very spirited debate, then the tape broke 40 minutes in!.

Quote Originally Posted by kh7lw View Post
    UPDATE: 70 shows are now uploaded and available to listen to. More coming regularly. Email me with any specific shows you want quicker.Thank you to all of you listening and thanks to all of you that have sent me emails saying how much they enjoy the history, nostalgia and my "personality". http://www.hamradioandmore.com/shows.htm I have uploaded the final show we aired with my very aggressive tirade against many organizations and issues. Enjoy
    Len, KH7LW (former kb7lpw)

Hello Len,

What caused the hobby of Amateur Radio to tank is rather plain and simple with the younger children, State-of-the Art Technology, Computers and Cellphones that don't require being licensed to use, being able to talk practically any where in the world day or night with a good two-way connection. Lowering the former standards from the past brought some people into ham radio but I'm not sure the numbers that the high level management wanted at the ARRL were met.

The Price of the radio equipment still is considered to be too expensive even with the Chinese Products and when you approach the newest ham operator, they balk at the price of Japanese manufactured transceivers and accessories. When I started into ham radio, all I could afford was USED equipment or homebrew whatever I wanted or needed by dumpster diving for old Radios & TVs to get some components. Then the next method was the local Hamfests for parts or radios themselves.

My first store bought transceiver was in 1970, an Analog FM Crystal Controlled Standard 826 M 12 Channels 10 Watts Output till 1976 when some young kids ripped it out my car thinking it was a CB radio. Back to purchasing another Analog FM transceiver USED and mounting it in my car. I haven't purchased a new transceiver since 2006 when I heavily operated in a mobile environment. Today, I no longer am able to drive any vehicle due to my eyesight. I still keep my interest in Amateur Radio but not like years ago.

Dan
    WA9WVX
    Last edited by WA9WVX; Mon 25th Jan 2016 at 21:45.

Default Hi Dan

Hi Dan:
    I'm not sure if your reply was meant to discuss my show specifically, or amateur radio in general. But doing a small bit of research from the ARRL, I found this:
    01/08/2014
    The Amateur Radio population in the US has continued to show steady growth. As of the end of 2013, the FCC database showed 717,201 licenses in its Universal Licensing System (ULS). Thatís the greatest number of US hams ever and up from 709,575 in December 2012. The volume of Amateur Radio applications slowed somewhat to 141,943 from its zenith of 176,826 in 2007, the year the FCC dropped the Morse code requirement.

If you listened to a number of my shows, I was a huge proponent for eliminating the code requirement, 13 years before they did it, when the Internet was just becoming more mainstream. But, I do agree we must do more and more to get youth more and more involved; but the state of amateur radio may not be as bleak as you may think.

Aloha & 73,
    Len, KH7LW