Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: first QSO on my HF rig today

Jim,

Just remember to use your Antenna Tuner between the transceiver & the RG-6/U (since this cable is 75 OHMS) & the RG-8/U & the 5BTV (being 50 OHMS), you will automatically have a 1.5:1 VSWR because of the tow different cables and whatever you had to start with before switching locations. As far as your EQSL situation, I've never used that method yet but I do know QRZ has one type and ARRL uses LOTW which a lot of hams use ... which is better? Who knows but this EQSL thing surely will confirm your contacts faster but no wallpaper to hang up as a display.

Geesh ... more Snow and the schools being closed must make it interesting there with the kids all wound up suffering from Cabin Fever. I'll bet that you'll be happy to see the kids return to school and have a little peace and quiet at the house. How to unnerve older adults, have the kids running around the house ... as you can see I still remember my days as a kid. The ONLY time we had off of school was in 1967 when a Blizzard hit the Chicago area and dumped 2.5 feet of Snow every where across the Chicagoland area. By then, I was a teenager and my father had me outside continuously plowing Snow from 6 AM till 10 PM, I went through several tanks of gasoline and I was beginning to run out of space to blow the Snow too! Thank Goodness we owned a Snow blower as I can't imagine shoveling all of the Snow ... I might have dropped dead and my arms would have fallen off.

I know all about those plastic tables as my XYL kept Home Depot in business buying those tables for her Sewing and Quilting Projects till I had a separate room built for her in our basement to do her Quilting Projects with plenty of cabinet space and a regular sewing table. Every now and then she'll head downstairs and I won't see her for the rest of the day ... or maybe the week. It's her Woman Cave ... LOL. Plastic tables and shelving units are ok but over time if the weight becomes too heavy, the sheves will begin to sag. The metal shelves can pose their own unique problems where they will lean one way or the other no matter how tight the bolts are tightened up even having the diagonal braces. I've found only one sure fire method to prevent this from occurring and I drill holes into the concrete walls, inserting anchors and bolt the framework to the concrete walls. ... problem solved.

I looked at Oxford's weather, it's +37 F right now so you'll receiving heavy Snow in and around that area today and tonight, Snow, Snow, Go Away, Come Back in another 30 years! Who needs this Baloney!?!?

Dan
    WA9WVX

Yeah, I forgot it was 75 ohms... I can afford to get some 50 ohm coax, I'll have to order it though.

My QRZ logbook has 2 confirms, and 4 unconfirmed. I've started the LotW process for my N4 call sign, and eQSL has accepted my scan of my license as me.

The two oldest couldn't break themselves away from the tv. One was watching sports and one was playing Mine Craft. The rest of us, including my sister, went out and played in the snow. Possible wintry mix on Friday and Sunday.

The shelf I have is good for 200 pounds per shelf. Supposed to handle cans of paint and metal tools. So it should be good for my lightweight gear. Looks like I'll be getting a desk mike. The hand mike is a pain after a while. Doubt I can afford a Heil. I think a generic one from MFJ for about $150 will be the best I can afford.

Oxford, AL didn't get snow, but Gadsden did. We are part way between. Most of it has melted, but school is delayed 3 hours Friday due to concerns about ice on bridges due to snow melting today and freezing over night. It will be middle of next month before we can get to the basement and clear it out. Maybe I can put in some insulation this weekend in the shack.

edit: Almost forgot. eQSL allows a user to upload a scan of your QSL card. When you get a confirm, their system fills in the contact info, and puts it in your inbox in their system. You can then print it out. No need to wait for it to arrive otherwise, or get lost in the mail. I think ARRL should stop being anxious, and develop a similar system. Postage is too expensive these days. The 3 cent post card is gone. They need to move on. Just like my mother. She kept insisting that bread was 5 cents a loaf.
    Last edited by N4AAB; Fri 27th Feb 2015 at 01:43. Reason: info
    --
    73, Jim/N4AAB got my Extra class license on Aug 10, 2017. Vanity call in Oct, 2014.
    My Ham radio site has no popups, no music, no banners.
    'Through the thorns to the stars' from Ghost-in-the-Shell anime.

Jim,

Well in a way the TV kept the two oldest amused and out of your face while the adults were out playing in the snow like kids. If it works you, it works for me. :-)

As far as QRZ EQSL and LoTW, this the ARRLs version and it's been out for 10~15 years I think. I know a lot of hams that don't possess the computer skills that you have (including myself) have a lot of problems setting it up. By a long shot, this EQSL thing certainly cuts the cost of regular QSL Cards and required postage down to nothing although the ARRL has different Call area coordinators for their bureaus where you keep your QSLs, Envelopes and some money and the league Bulk Mails out the QSL Cards around the world unless it's Flat, then watch out for the cliff. ;-)

I have some of those shelving units stacked with paints and a few tools not many as I have a regular workshop set up in our basement for doing all kinds of woodwork, metal work and repairs. Of course I have a rolling tool box with a lot of tools, just not enough storage space as I always seem to fall short with this issue. More tools but where do I put them, I even have a tool box in the ham shack which comes in handy. I even have the ultimate alignment tool not a Golden Screwdriver but a Golden Hammer when all else fails!

As I recall your Microphone Input connector is 8 Pin Plug, might look around on QRZ or eHam for a Used 444 Desk Microphone and wire it up for your transceiver as this desk mic has switch on the bottom for High and Low Impedance which your transceiver uses. If I'm not mistaken all of the more modern transceivers use Low Impedance for the microphone input circuits. I would think that your transceiver has VOX Voice Operated Xmit and your present hand microphone should be wired to use it that way. I found a Shure 444 Desk Microphone so you know what it looks like http://www.eham.net/classifieds/detail/378316

I know that you're north of Oxford as I did look at the map on QRZ. When I tried to look up Oxford, Alabama on Microsoft Maps, it put that town in South Carolina Huh? so much for Microsoft. I hope the weather is warmer this weekend for your R-13 insulation project and at least wear so socks and shoes. :-)

QUOTE "Just like my mother. She kept insisting that bread was 5 cents a loaf."

Well she was right, it WAS 5 cents a loaf in the 1940s or 1950s but hardly that today.

Dan
    WA9WVX
    Last edited by WA9WVX; Fri 27th Feb 2015 at 13:24. Reason: Quote Brackets Did Not Work

Yeah, MS maps is kinda goofy. Rain this weekend instead of snow, so maybe I'll get a few things done.

The Shure 444 Desk Microphone doesn't seem to be something I can afford... the cheaper priced ones on QRZ appear to be sold already.

My mother would give us lunch money of a dollar, and tell us it had to last all week... that is more than one lunch cost.
    --
    73, Jim/N4AAB got my Extra class license on Aug 10, 2017. Vanity call in Oct, 2014.

Got my 7th, 8th, and 9th QSO today. And my 9th, it was his first HF QSO.

I did get out there about 1400Z today and called on 15m. No one replied in the 20 minutes I called, so I came in, it was cold. 35F at 7 AM local. Got up to 58F this afternoon, so I went out and CQed on 20m.
    --

In case anyone was wondering, we took it to email.
    --

I have been 2 other US hams first QSO on HF. I am up to 15 QSOs. Need to get my color printer out of the box I moved it in and print out some QSL cards. I also use LotW, QRZ logbook, and eQSL. But the CME from the sun earlier this week have certainly cased propogation problems. See ya out there !
    --