Thread: Why is that i have to type in image verification?

Default Why is that i have to type in image verification?

Why is it that I have to type in image verification everytime i even do a searchor a post. at 53 im too old for this crap. is this the way it is for everyone or is it because i just joined and if so when does it end cause ive been here 10 minutes and im fed up and ready to quit and cancel my membership to this site. So this could very well be my only post here VE3SAK ( licenced in 1981). originally as VP2SAK in ST. Vincent West Indies in 1979

The Captcha will stop once you've made some posts that have been approved my Admin/Mod team.

We find it effective at keeping most of the spam out, although understand it can annoy new users, especially those who don't or haven't posted much.
    Paul, MØTZO - my websites
    Please PM me if you wish to change your username to your callsign

I to found it wearisome at first, but it eventually went away.
    --
    73, Jim/N4AAB got my Extra class license on Aug 10, 2017. Vanity call in Oct, 2014.
    My Ham radio site has no popups, no music, no banners.
    'Through the thorns to the stars' from Ghost-in-the-Shell anime.

Default well is this still a pita

Quote Originally Posted by N4AAB View Post
    I to found it wearisome at first, but it eventually went away.
    Well after 2 years I came here to see if the capta is still a pita. Ve3 sak/ve0sak formerly vp2sak

Oh come on - you joined in Feb 2015, and made another post recently which needed a captcha? I'm surprised you even remembered your username after 2 years?

I'm older than you, and use many forums linked to what I do - and captchas are a daily inconvenience, and extremely common to build reputation before access becomes simpler.

Being very honest, it's a minor inconvenience, and you don;t have to cancel membership to internet forums, you just stop using them - like you already did do? Ten minutes and ready to quit.

ps if you are doing lots of searches and this requires repeated captchas, why not do the search via Google - adding + www.hamradioforum.net, and it will search the forum for you if that is easier.

Make some useful posts, assist people with your 35 years experience and your reputation will grow and the admins and mods will be happy.

We do the same on all the forums that I help run. A new member's posts are moderated at first, they have to put up with captcha at times, and there are some features to which they don't have access. Once admin and/or moderators are satisfied that the member is making some good contributions, they come off moderation. The system works. I seldom have to remove spam threads and apart from the obvious spammer who somehow gets through, we haven't had to ban anyone permanently for years. A few new members query the length of time/number of posts when they are on moderation, but I have to say that none have ever gone two years before asking or complaining.

Or would you prefer it so that new members' posts were immediately unmoderated, allowing in all sorts of spam?
    Current radios: VHF/UHF: 2 x Baofeng 2/70 Handhelds. VHF: Kenwood TR9130 2m multimode. HF: Kenwood TS930S-AT
    Home antennas planned: G5RV / G7FEK / end fed wire. 1/2 wave vertical for 10m. 6 element beam for 2m. Vertical collinear for 2/70
    Website for the 'day job': www.andrew-gilbert.com

Well, you hasve to keep posting then the captcha goes away. The software and the moderators don't forget.
    --
    73, Jim/N4AAB got my Extra class license on Aug 10, 2017. Vanity call in Oct, 2014.
    My Ham radio site has no popups, no music, no banners.
    'Through the thorns to the stars' from Ghost-in-the-Shell anime.

So, how long or many posts before capita and admin confirmation stops

Every time you ask, they add 5 more posts.
    N5MKH - The only thing that separates man from animal is our affinity for toilet paper. Once we as a society lose that affinity we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself. Up is down and down is us and man is no longer an alpha predator.

It's a fact of life nowadays - why not just join in and post your opinions and answer queries? You'll soon clock some posts up - you joined on the 25th June - and just haven't been very active? Persevere and it will happen.

We don't advertise how many for a few reasons, but it's a few posts and some time too.

Also it's a lot less that it used to be.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

i thought i would pop in and say that yes the Captcha is a PITA, but i understand it. i run my own (very under-used) forum, and was thinking of adding in that new users are moderated, though it may scare away the 2 members i do have.

~Travis

Travis, after a few. Moderated post the captcha will disappear.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Oh and some time as well as I see you're a new member.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

as i have already been granted member status, the wait for an upgrade is already passed. thanks for responding though.
    I must say though, the admins are a lot more active and easier to contact in this forum, than many of the other forums i have joined.
    I understand how there could be a delay in responses with the low number of admins and moderators though. i could help out some with taking the load off, but i am unfamiliar with vBullitin. the forum i run on my personal web server is Simple Machine Forum (a free option). and i don't have nearly the number of members (3, including myself )

~Travis
    Last edited by travis.farmer; Mon 14th Aug 2017 at 10:12. Reason: missed a word

I'm new in this forum and I'm used to in 'quick reply'; something that I could not find in this forum. Nevertheless, this forum is filled with interesting and insightful discussions.

once your upgraded to a member, the Quick Reply shows up.
    (this sent via Quick Reply )

~Travis