Thread: I NEED YOUR HELP: City of Phoenix Forces Zoning Allowance Without Representation

Default I NEED YOUR HELP: City of Phoenix Forces Zoning Allowance Without Representation

I NEED YOUR HELP!

Iím cross posting this information in multiple places so I will apologize if this is a repeat for you.

The City of Phoenix has approved a zoning variance to put a 20 Acre Medical Marijuana Grow operation next to my neighborhood. City Zoning Ordinance mandates a 1000í clearance but the variance they have allotted puts this operation on the other side of a man made canal just 400í from my neighborhood.

http://www.kpho.com/story/27887341/c...r-neighborhood
    http://www.azfamily.com/news/Phoenix...289111161.html
    https://news.yahoo.com/video/phoenix...132752578.html

Iím not opposed to Medical Marijuana and it is legal here in AZ, but this zoning variance was passed under the cover of darkness with no representation from residents that will be impacted.

Factually speaking, similar operations in Colorado have caused issues for residents in the area:
    Decreased Property Value
    Increased Crime
    Radio Frequency Interference from the Grow Lights disrupts cell and wifi signals
    And there is the personal issue that my daughter is allergic to some plants similar (botanically) to cannabis but there is no allergy treatment for the plant at this time. Our allergist has advised us that she should remain indoors at all times and carry an Epipen in case she has an airborne cannabis pollen reaction.

Donít get me wrong - Iím all for people getting Medical Marijuana. I just think that as an agricultural product, it should be treated like all other agriculture and kept out in the unincorporated areas of the county and away from homes.

How can you help?
    I would be forever indebted if you would send an E-Mail to Mary Brown at the City of Phoenix and express your dissatisfaction with their decision and support the upcoming appeal

Mary Brown can be reached at [email protected]
    Subject: ZA-488-14 Oppose Variance

THANK YOU FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART!

Note - I'm posting this in the Ham Radio Forum because of the interference that Marijuana Grow Lights cause with Ham Radio signals.
    N5MKH - The only thing that separates man from animal is our affinity for toilet paper. Once we as a society lose that affinity we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself. Up is down and down is us and man is no longer an alpha predator.

Was it properly posted and a public hearing held? Doesn't look like it.

Nope - No hearing. They accepted the attorney's (representing the billion dollar Tyke Corp) affidavit that all notifications and town meetings had been conducted. Since there was no opposition, the variance was granted. Now a local Business Owner has filed the appeal and we have had community meetings with out Tyke. Appeal is on Feb 5th at noon.
    N5MKH - The only thing that separates man from animal is our affinity for toilet paper. Once we as a society lose that affinity we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself. Up is down and down is us and man is no longer an alpha predator.

That's a good start. If it doesn't work, I'd recommend lawyering up. Sue the city and the grow-op.

Hasn't the FCC and ARRL just recently come up with something about amateurs aerials being expect (to some degree) from zoning restricts, as they consider amateur radio a near essential service?

Quote Originally Posted by GTGallop View Post
    Note - I'm posting this in the Ham Radio Forum because of the interference that Marijuana Grow Lights cause with Ham Radio signals.
    Because it is a zoning issue, there is probably not much impact to be had from the "opinions" of out-of-town and particularly out-of-state people contacting the local politicians. How much the business will add to the local tax base is going to be their first concern.

That said, there is most likely nothing that can be done on a legal basis concerning RFI from the grow lights because they "might" cause interference. If they are Part 15 compliant devices. The rules don't general cover "potential" harm if the devices comply.

Your only recourse is to wait until AFTER they ACTUALLY cause RFI that degrades a licensed service and then go through the complaint process, that could be a lengthy and costly process depending on how well financed and determined your "interferer" is. By that I mean, how determined the "local" authorities are to intervene on the side of the offender, and that depends on how much revenue the offender adds to the local tax base.
    Hulbert
    Lillington NC
    KW4DD

Actually all E-Mails are considered as a stack of evidence. They can come from the 85024 Zipcode or from Bora Bora. All it has to be is "Public Objection."

As far as tax goes - that land is currently occupied by a business and generating a pretty good stream of revenue. If they put the farm there the only discussion revenue can play is the difference (more or less) than the current establishment. But if they move the farm to land where there is not a business or where the land is producing little to no taxes, then they get to have BOTH revenue streams.

Looks like we are getting a little exposure beyond the local media.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/medica...151600299.html

Thank you to everyone that pitched in and helped out. We had our day in court today and sadly we lost. Phoenix has now allowed the largest Medical Marijuana Farm and Infusion Plant of its kind to exist in a major metropolitan city. Two of the people on the council voted against it and three voted for it. The Chairperson was almost giddy with excitement as she got to cast the deciding ballot and tip the scales in favor of Tryke Industries. I was sickened.

Then the residents (about 60 to 80 of us showed up) started a ruckus and she called for the police to clear the chambers. Folks, the anti-establishment hippies of the 60's have become the jack booted thugs of 2015.