Thread: "Friendliest" band for QRP/homebrew gear?

Cool "Friendliest" band for QRP/homebrew gear?

I've finally started putting together an HF transmitter. It won't be a quick project, and it's not really well planned. Well, the "plan" is to knock up simple DSBSC transmitter, get it working, refine it and then, sometime in the near(ish) future, build a complementary receiver for it - I have a fairly decent receiver which I can use in the mean time. Then, if all goes well, some time in not-so-near future, add (or build or another one with) a SSB filter.

In between that lot is to string out an aerial and bolt together some sort of matching unit (if needed.)

The heart of the rig uses an oscillator that covers 100 kHz to 33 MHz, so I have the all the HF bands to play with.

That leaves me with the question: What band to start on?

I want a bit of range, ie, /outside/ of Finland: Sweden is about 250 km across the sea to the west and Russia is about the same, across land to the east. The rest of the world is at least 1000 km south-west to south east. Nothing is north of me...

But, I know 20 metres is a favoured DX band, so I go on there squawking "CQ QRP" with (probably) dodgy audio and on both side-bands, I'm likely to piss-off people.

So, do I go higher or lower? Higher, I guess shortens the range. Also, where-as most of the HF band plns are simpley CW & SSB, 10 metres looks really complicated/confusing to me and I wouldn't know what part of that band to use to hopefully get some QSOs.

If I go lower, then the aerials get HUMONGOUS! I live in a diddly little apartment with a garden about 11 metres by 15 metres, so long wires and multi-element beams are out of the question.

On what band would a crappy weak signal hogging /two/ sidebands most likely get a welcome?

Well... I can recommend AGAINST anything in the 60m band. They're a bit... touchy. Have you considered building your own magnetic loop antenna? They're a lot smaller than an equivalent vertical, and the narrow bandwidth might help with the splatter, too.

60 metre band! Quick google... Oh, never heard of it, thought it seems to have been around since 2002, so I hadn't even thought of using that one

Magnetic loop: A friend mentioned that this afternoon, so thanks, that's definitely one to try.