Thread: ferrites or powdered iron

Default ferrites or powdered iron

Hopefully someone can help .! I have a number of what look like , round ferrite 'rods' dimensions, 60mm long,15mm diam, with a 4mm hole down the centre.. I assume they are used for power 'filtering'!(Fairly heavy, so they could be powdered iron ? ) If anyone has any info on these it would be greatly appreciated. Was hoping I could use a couple for a balun .... Many Thanks

They'd be OK for QRP, but they get saturated (which limits the upper usable frequency) too easily with anything over a few Watts.
    Look for a coloured dot or bands which indicates the grade.

See Page 29 here for more...

Hi O.M 5B4AJB. thanks for the reply. Your info much appreciated.. (still can't find any detail about the item ) The 'cores have been around the 'shack' for such a long time just wondered if anyone had any info and what use they could they put
    to! I do not own an analyser , so the only obvious choice is to wind a few turns and see what effect they produce ?
    However , again, many thanks for your help and 73s

They were probably used for an AM broadcast receiver, though the hole in the middle is new to me, sounds like some kind of monster DC lead-in bead!

Yes that was my first reaction , but these things seem rather heavy in comparison to ferrite rods.It's the hole down the middle that made me think that these are some type of line filtering ferrite , powdered, or otherwise , Ah well , as mentioned, will probably play around with them and hopefully make 'em work for something , hi.
    Again, thanks for your interest O.M and 73's..

Twenty eight years ago I worked in Industrial Controls and the company I worked for built electronic packages to control high speed steel tubing cut off presses. In these packages we made our own RFI Filters for the primary voltages being supplied to our units and we used ferrite rods like you have described. I think they were purchased through Newark Electronics here in the USA and as I remember those ferrite rods were on the order of 6 inches long. Here's Newark's website http://www.newark.com/ I hope this helps solve your question.

Dan

They sound like the sort of core one would use for a choke in a largish switched-mode PSU, having a single turn (or perhaps just half a turn) of rather heavy gauge enamelled copper on them.

Regards

Jason G7RUX