Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 'One-Watt Wednesdays' contest

Default 'One-Watt Wednesdays' contest

You are cordially invited to turn down the RF power and get stuck in to the HRF's 'One-Watt Wednesdays' challenge. The challenge is ongoing from week to week, and there are no prizes, other than the unparalleled honour of being HRF's 'Watt of the Week'.

There aren't many rules, it's meant to be fun, and entries are made 'on honour', so please respect that.

Entering the challenge is easy. In this thread, please post log-like details of your ODX made on every Wednesday on which you wish to participate, and be prepared to produce an electronic or paper QSL card to support it if challenged. In other words, details of one QSO per entrant per Wednesday. What could be simpler than that.

Rules for the HRF 'One-Watt Wednesdays' challenge

The challenge runs every Wednesday, from 00.00.01 to 23.59.59 UTC, with the following conditions for the entered QSO:

• output power of the transmitter to be no more than one Watt
    • QSO to be made on:
      • any band
      • any mode (except wspr/JT65 modes)
      • any antenna
    • some form of QSL card (electronic or paper) to be provided if requested
    • there are no prizes, only bragging rights that you could be the HRF's mighty 'Watt of the Week'
    Last edited by G0HCP; Mon 15th Sep 2014 at 10:43. Reason: Change contest to challenge

And anyone who is is rushing away in disgust at the word 'contest'... it's more of a informal fun challenge
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by M0TTB View Post
    And anyone who is is rushing away in disgust at the word 'contest'... it's more of a informal fun challenge
    Would a mod mind amending the thread title, to change 'contest' to 'challenge'?

UE16WR 20m 12:17 2054 miles
    Andy

Here's a selection of my DX today with 1 watt to a 3-ele SteppIR at 40', all on PSK:

WR1Z 15m 5254 km
    RA9ARP 15m 6825 km
    YV4DHS 15m 7625 km

but my ODX is JA2GSD 15m 9512 km

Well done.
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by M0TTB View Post
    Well done.
    Thanks. And well done to you, too. I just couldn't get over the 10,000 km mark, and not for lack of trying!

If you want I could make a notice for this to apart each week.

Just write some text (a line or two) and I'll see what I can do. (Might be best to PM me)

I could make so shows every Wednesday to all members.

Also I've started a group which I'll add the rules to later.
    Last edited by M0TZO; Tue 23rd Sep 2014 at 07:56.
    Paul, MØTZO - my websites
    Please PM me if you wish to change your username to your callsign

Thanks, Paul. Bit preoccupied now (see other One-Watt Weds thread!). I'll PM you later this morning.

No rush also if see above edit there is a group now.
    Paul, MØTZO - my websites
    Please PM me if you wish to change your username to your callsign

That was a tough one, but I worked VK3SQ at 359 599 (QSL card below) on the long path. Thanks, Geoff. That's 23,133 km with 1W.

wattoftheweek.JPG
    Last edited by G0HCP; Wed 24th Sep 2014 at 09:52. Reason: QSL card
    David Goode (G0HCP), Wolfson College, Cambridge

Quote Originally Posted by G0HCP View Post
    That was a tough one, but I worked VK3SQ at 359 599 (QSL card below) on the long path. Thanks, Geoff. That's 23,133 km with 1W.

wattoftheweek.JPG
    Nice, don't think anyone is going to touch that or most of what the G6UW contest station can manage on psk31.
    Andy

Thanks, Andy.

It's down to the antenna, really. I was using all my own gear, into the 3-ele SteppIR. But even that's not perfectly situated, at 40' above ground and only 25m ASL. It'd be interesting to do the challenge one Wednesday with a dipole on one of the slight bumps in the terrain that pass for hills round here.

Don't give up yet, though. There's still further to work on the long path. At this time of year, Western Australia around 07.00z or Los Angeles around 16.00z, both on 20m, are further and theoretically doable. Go for it!
    Last edited by G0HCP; Wed 24th Sep 2014 at 11:20.

Thanks, Andy. Don't give up yet. There's still further to work on the long path. At this time of year, Western Australia around 07.00z or Los Angeles around 16.00z, both on 20m, are further and theoretically doable. Go for it!
    Bit trickier with ssb though, psk31 has around 26db advantage over ssb... so I'd have to run around 400w to be comparable, and that's excluding the extra metal in the air at G6UW
    Andy

Are you set up for digimodes? Doing it with SSB would be nigh on impossible, and if you do, I will worship you!

Are you set up for digimodes? Doing it with SSB would be nigh on impossible, and if you do, I will worship you!
    Yes, I am set up for psk and almost any other data mode, even plastic cw with HRD/DM780 ...but they simply don't give me any satisfaction to use, more so that I work on a computer all day, with colleagues annoying me with instant messaging systems
    Considering you do use psk31, even if you had a small mag loop in your home/room, you'd still crush my ssb efforts.
    Andy

I'm busy all day next Wednesday, being installed as Pro-Proctor in the morning at the Senate-House, work in the afternoon, and then a dinner at Magdalene in the evening, so probably won't even put in an entry next week. Shall we say that for the following one, it's SSB only?

I'm busy all day next Wednesday, being installed as Pro-Proctor in the morning at the Senate-House, work in the afternoon, and then a dinner at Magdalene in the evening, so probably won't even put in an entry next week. Shall we say that for the following one, it's SSB only?
    No, psk31 is a perfectly valid mode for the friendly 1 watt challenge, keep it as it is. Psk31 is a great mode for those with very limited antenna opportunities and gives the newcomers to amateur radio the chance for exotic contacts on qrp using their own stations they have set up.
    I tried again for TY1AA with just 1 watt today...he got the last two letters of my suffix, but he didn't stick with it. Maybe I'll concentrate on rarity rather than distance
    Andy

Finally, TY1AA 13:13 24.965 USB
    5059km or 3143 miles
    1w PEP, 500mW average

I did have to use my M6BBC callsign, as I'd already worked them with M0TTB on 12m (3w PEP) and dxped dupes are emabarrassing and not welcome.
    TY is currently ranked 103 in global, all mode, most wanted list on clublog....although obviously after this dxped it will fall, especially if the likes of myself can get through.

No chance of an eqsl, lotw at some stage but QSO already in their online log
    http://win.i2ysb.com/logonline/qsl_results.asp
    Last edited by M0TTB; Wed 24th Sep 2014 at 14:44.
    Andy

Nice! That rivals mine, given the mode.

Just arrived in Sheringham for a few days. Suppose I'd better sign in on the local repeater.