Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CQ CQ CQ de 20m...

Default CQ CQ CQ de 20m...

Morning all.
    I am expecting to be on 20m SSB from around 1800hrs UTC today (16th July) from West Kent so do give me a call if you're up for a chat.

Regards
    Jason G7RUX

If I hear you, I'll give you a shout.

I suspect I'd have more chance on 2m from there than 20m, and the 20m element of my hexbeam broke on sunday morning, so it's a bit under par on that band. I'll have a listen though.
    I remember we had a guy from Norway (Inge LA1ONA) on this forum years ago (may have been a moderator), and he set up skeds on 20m every now and again, had a qso with him.
    Last edited by M0TTB; Wed 16th Jul 2014 at 11:54.
    Andy

Yes, I'm not sure about a groundwave QSO on 20m with Jason, but I'll give it a go. Plus, I've only got a crappy end-fed wire up at the moment at home as I have a microscopically small garden. I may go and test my newly-arrived linked dipole and 7m SOTAbeam for /P operation, though, in a big field. I should be able to manage 5W into that, and we'll see how it goes.

Oh well, nothing heard. :-(
    I was being swamped by Italian and Ukrainian stations who vere very much on a QRO kick. One chap from Israel was running monster power (he claimed 500W but I suspect much, much more was being output!)

Perhaps we should try setting up a sked of some sort (perhaps on 17m which seems pretty good of an evening at the moment)?

Would anyone be up for trying that?

Jason G7RUX

I wasn't able to get on at that time in the end, but yes, let's set up a sked, with five minute slots on different bands to maximise chances. Other QRP forum members can listen and call, and maybe we'll get somewhere.

I had a listen around from 1800 but it's a needle in a haystack scenario without knowing a rough area where you'd be. 14.160-14.280 is usually going to be busy, so best avoided for weak signals. To be honest, none of the bands from 20-10m are going to be great for this sort of local qso and cross polarisation can be an issue with line of sight type qso's as well.

However, I regularly hear and chat to people on 20-10m within 80 miles of here, so it's worth a shot... I think I'm only about 40 miles from either yourself or G0HCP. I hear quite a few M6's from Kent on the higher HF bands

17m may be a better bet, slightly less noisy but still viable for a North American forum member to get through.
    Andy

The QRP centres of activity on 17m are 18,086kHz for CW and 18,130kHz for SSB, so I think they would be the place to start.

I'm out every Thursday evening, but I can have a listen today at around 16.00 UTC.

I'm up for that, unless I've melted by then. The bands are in poor shape for dx, so it shouldn't be too busy. Incidentally, had a nice qso with Caroline M3ZCB last week on 2m, she and her OM had escaped the Tour de France mayhem and activated a local SOTA down here. Not sure if you know her.
    Andy

Yes, it is quite warm at the moment, isn't it!

I don't know many hams at all in Cambridge, despite being here for 20 years, as I've only returned to radio this year after 25 years away and didn't live here when I was active in the '80s.

I'll be listening this afternoon.

Dave

I'm now /P on 20m, listening on 14.285 if anyone wants to shout.

I can hear some activity on 14.285 @ 15:36 but not enough to make out a callsign, can't say it sounds like an English accent, maybe Russian.
    Andy

I'll be /P today on 20m from around 10.00 BST.

Didn't hear Jason or Andy, but did hear a few G, GW, and GM stations. Also heard VE, K, and W, but 5W wasn't enough to be heard in the pileups. Weirdest callsign worked today was DR500RRDXA. Best contact of the day was UT1IT.
    Last edited by G0HCP; Sun 20th Jul 2014 at 19:49.

Quote Originally Posted by G0HCP View Post
    Didn't hear Jason or Andy, but did hear a few G, GW, and GM stations. Also heard VE, K, and W, but 5W wasn't enough to be heard in the pileups. Weirdest callsign worked today was DR500RRDXA. Best contact of the day was UT1IT.
    I didn't get in the shack today, I'm afraid. Glad you had a bit of action though, I think we have a thread on here somewhere about the longest callsign worked... you could be a contender with that one
    Andy

It's a whopper, isn't it. I don't think I've ever seen a callsign that long!

I'll probably be operating /P after work on 70cms, testing my new Diamond A430S10R antenna ahead of the 432MHz Low Power Contest on Sunday 3 August. Have a listen for me around 17.30 BST or so.

I was a bit later than I'd said, more like 19.00 BST. Seventy cms was as dead as a dodo!

Was operating /P on Magog Down (JO02cd) earlier, giving away some IOTA points on 20m: 18 QSOs, 12 countries, ODX was R3BM at 2,440km. I'll probably do a bit more tomorrow morning.

Quote Originally Posted by G7RUX View Post
    Morning all.
    I am expecting to be on 20m SSB from around 1800hrs UTC today (16th July) from West Kent so do give me a call if you're up for a chat.
    We never did get anywhere with this, did we. So, how about a HamRadioForum (HRF) sked at 15.00 UTC today on 20m? Europe should be solid, and we should have reasonable propagation into at least some parts of North America, and maybe the Far East.

I'll be around .320 +/- QRM at 15.00 UTC, calling and listening for HRF members, and we'll see what happens...

Whoops! Just remembered this is a QRP thread. I probably won't be QRP this afternoon (though I did work KF4ZZY with 5W the other day). If there turns out to be any interest in this, I'll start a new thread for its continuation.
    Last edited by G0HCP; Sat 23rd Aug 2014 at 07:42. Reason: Not QRP