Thread: RTTY for 817

Default RTTY for 817

Hi,

Can someone help me with a setup for RTTY on a laptop to my FT-817, I beleieve all I need is a data cable and an appropriate application, however I'm sure as with many USB data cables some are better than other as with applicaiton.

Thanks in advance.

You're going to need a Yaesu CT-39a packet cable, or equivalent.

Indeed, I have been down this route and had a bit of difficulty.

Beware of the cables on ebay/Amazon as they are clone chipsets and cause all manner of troubles, I had to send mine back eventually as I just had no luck at all making it work.

What does work for me is Bluetooth; I had already bought a bluetooth adaptor for use with the Repeater app so I got a tiny bluetooth dongle for my laptop and have had a fair bit of success using that to connect for data. The other option, which I also use, is a USB soundcard interface like the SignaLink, which is cabled and works fine for RTTY, as well as JT65, Hellschreiber, etc.

Hope this helps!

Jason

Yes, if you look back at a similar thread a few months ago, you will see that Jason had a Prolific amount of trouble.

Moral of the story? Only buy cheap cables from eBay or Amazon if you don't want your hair any more, don't want your money any more, and you want to age by two decades overnight!

Ha!

If it was Prolific then the problem would not have occured!

Just buy a decent cable (USB ones aren't available from Yaesu IIRC.)

Yes, the Yaesu cables are only terminated at the rig end. Apparently, there's a pin out diagramme, but I haven't done it.

Are you doing the backpacker's contest on Sunday, Jason? I am.

Dave