Thread: New To SDR

Default New To SDR

Hey guys

One of our club members did a talk this week at radio club about SDR and I found it really interesting so iv just bit the bullet so to speak and have ordered a dongle now am going to start looking at a PC to run as my ham computer.

I am currently trying to take notes of stuff I have read online, I forgot to take a pad with me to take notes at the talk and my memory is crap and iv forgotten allot of it lol, anyone got any recommendations for what programs a must have to go on the computer ready for when the dongle arrives ???

I am looking forward to having a good play with this as it really did peak my interest when the guy did the talk

Also any other words of wisdom or advice from people that have been there and done it.

Paul

I use HDSDR, fairly basic, but good - easy to use with a converter too.

Did you order a funcube dongle?

Will give HDSDR a look don't think they mentioned that one at radio club last week but to be honest my head exploded with all the info we were getting lol

No no the fun cube just a cheap DVR Tuner that can be made to work the range of its freq. chip so can do down into low MHZ upto 1300 - 2000 Mhz so good for a range of stuff really.

Iv only thrown about 6GBP into the project im limiting myself really in funds as its just something to have a go at and learn from etc if SDR moves on then I have an understanding of it and can throw bigger money into it but right now its just something im going to have a dabble at so am limiting what I spend really

Yeah OK, you'll get a lot of play out of it I'm sure.
    I did acquire a similar device for the Raspberry Pi, but never got it working (partly because I never had a proper coax plug for it)...

raspberry pi is next toy on the list, I am trying to find an article iv read recently about SDR on an android operating system but cant find the mag I think that could be fun too as I run a tablet in the truck for navigation etc so might be a nice side line to play with SDR on the move

Just need the dam dongle to turn up already I want to play grrrrrr