Thread: Beta testers for remote mobile via cellphone device?

Question Beta testers for remote mobile via cellphone device?

I'm looking for a few avid mobile operators that would like to help me debug a device I've been working on.
    The device - which I affectionately call "CellTenna", sits at home and connects to my base radio. Connections include mic, audio, and comm port.
    The comm port should work with Icom, Kenwood, and Yaesu radios. CellTenna also connects to a phone line. When I call the phone number for that line, CellTenna reconizes my caller id and picks up the line. This way, the phone line is available for other use and I don't have people accidentily accessing my base radio.
    Then, with touch tone commands, I can control my base radio from my car or where ever. Transmit and receive with a full size antenna signal and no ignition noise. And no big-ass antenna on the car with 1% efficiency.

So I need a few volunteers that could give it a good workout and give me feedback on bugs and improvements.
    In particular, I could use someone with a newer non-portable Yaesu - I've tested it with Icom 706, 735, Kenwood TS2000, and my portable Yaesu 817 and they seem to interface ok.

Cost to you? Free if you write me a nice email and promose to give it a good workout, give me feedback, and talk it up.

My goal is to start marketing in after I'm sure that it works ok and my "focus group" likes it.

Thanks for reading - Brian WB2DSH

I have an 857.

857 has same CAT format as the 817 - so I know that works. Yasue has several CAT formats, and I'd like to have someone give it a workout on one of the radios with RS232 CAT - which is very similar to Kenwood's.
    Email me if you are seriously interested.

Default Update?

How is this project coming along?

Quote Originally Posted by WB2DSH View Post
    I'm looking for a few avid mobile operators that would like to help me debug a device I've been working on.
    The device - which I affectionately call "CellTenna", sits at home and connects to my base radio. Connections include mic, audio, and comm port.
    The comm port should work with Icom, Kenwood, and Yaesu radios. CellTenna also connects to a phone line. When I call the phone number for that line, CellTenna reconizes my caller id and picks up the line. This way, the phone line is available for other use and I don't have people accidentily accessing my base radio.
    Then, with touch tone commands, I can control my base radio from my car or where ever. Transmit and receive with a full size antenna signal and no ignition noise. And no big-ass antenna on the car with 1% efficiency.

So I need a few volunteers that could give it a good workout and give me feedback on bugs and improvements.
    In particular, I could use someone with a newer non-portable Yaesu - I've tested it with Icom 706, 735, Kenwood TS2000, and my portable Yaesu 817 and they seem to interface ok.

Cost to you? Free if you write me a nice email and promose to give it a good workout, give me feedback, and talk it up.

My goal is to start marketing in after I'm sure that it works ok and my "focus group" likes it.

Thanks for reading - Brian WB2DSH

Sorry for the long delay - missed this question and anyway, not a lot of interest shown here.
    It's working very well. It's not good with low SNR as the cell vocoder often shuts down if it detects too much noise, but it's way better than mobile operation.
    I keep tweaking the code to make it better.
    Still, I have no users to share experience with so I don't see going into production with it. But I could easily make up a batch as I have it on a nice PWB.

Quote Originally Posted by WB2DSH View Post
    Sorry for the long delay - missed this question and anyway, not a lot of interest shown here.
    It's working very well. It's not good with low SNR as the cell vocoder often shuts down if it detects too much noise, but it's way better than mobile operation.
    I keep tweaking the code to make it better.
    Still, I have no users to share experience with so I don't see going into production with it. But I could easily make up a batch as I have it on a nice PWB.
    its a splendid idea especially as phone calls in the uk are now more often bundled or free. Wouldn't need too much control for a basic model either... tx could sit on a repeater all the box would have to do is intercept the call ID and you could have a cellphone just for radio monitoring calling. I like it

carl gw0tqm

Default Will give it a go!

I am running a Yaesu 757 gx mk1. It will fit well in one of my vehicles, but the other is a little small for a radio this size. I would love to test an alternative to consistently moving this back and forth. (have not done this yet but intend to soon). Look forward to hearing back from you.

KD9KVS

I have a brain injury,
    I am not my brain injury,
    It does not define me.