Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone for Raspberry Pi?

Quote Originally Posted by WA9WVX View Post
    I had a Raspberry Pi for about a hour and forty five minutes using it out in the kitchen. Apparently my XYL was a bit mad at me because I wasn't being attentive to her. She asked me if I wanted Pie Ala Mode and I said, "Sure!" She sliced off a large piece of Vanilla Ice Cream and before I knew it ... she placed it on my Raspberry Pi! So much for playing with new computer items out in the kitchen.

Dan
    Thats kinda sad. Did you buy another Raspberry Pi ?
    --
    73, Jim/N4AAB got my Extra class license on Aug 10, 2017. Vanity call in Oct, 2014.
    My Ham radio site has no popups, no music, no banners.
    'Through the thorns to the stars' from Ghost-in-the-Shell anime.

Quote Originally Posted by WA9WVX View Post
    ...sliced off a large piece of Vanilla Ice Cream and before I knew it ... she placed it on my Raspberry Pi
    If you still have it, scrub it down (an old toothbrush works well) with 90% alcohol a few times and leave it in the sun for a few days...

Hey guys been looking into getting a RPI so I can have a play with it and maybe a portable APRS/3G setup and DSTAR for in the field stuff but not finding it a good price but I might just be being not seeing wood for the trees, can anyone post some links to a good source and price for it though am thinking of going off to maplin to get the starter kit but some of the stuff I prob have here anyway and can get software etc online so not sure that option works out so great but would like to have one to play with

cheers, Paul

http://www.adafruit.com/ has them. New York City, NY. Get the RPi kit, cheaper than buying everything individually. They do ship overseas.
    --
    73, Jim/N4AAB got my Extra class license on Aug 10, 2017. Vanity call in Oct, 2014.

Thank you will give them alook just a bit dubious about ordering from overseas with stuff like that as if I have a warranty issue then its a pain in the rear to sort it all out unless someone here will honor the warranty but will defo look at the kit.

Still keeping an eye on ebay too lol

Hey guys just had a mpalin email and this kit has been reduced http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/raspberry-...mpaign=14P1-21

bonus is I can get it delivered free and I get a little bit of by going through top cash back so it helps sweeten the pi so to speak has anyone used this kit before as looking at the reviews seems to be hit and miss but generaly ok and I dont mind having to play a little to make it work but would rather it just worked out the box as far as possible without having to find work arounds for everything.

Thinking of putting this on a Yaesu FT7800 to do APRS digi peater

I've not bought the kit from Maplin but it doesn't look too badly priced for what you're getting.. if your thinking of going the APRS route with the Pi you might like to have a look at the http://tnc-x.com/TNCPi.htm kit.
    Peter, 2E0SQL - http://www.2e0sql.co.uk

Thanks Peter I might just order one of them up later on, I like the idea of the Pi and wondering what use I could put it to. I am involved with a newly forming 4x4 support team and one or two of us are geeks and into our tech and are ham operators and we were discussing the Pi and having a play with one as maybe a portable D-Star link or APRS link or something radio related. I am luck as the area we are going to cover is quite small so we don't need anything to fancy but I do like the idea of a go rig but maybe combined with some other stuff to maybe have a good play. Its the PI or a cheap netbook. Wonder if this would qualify for the radio club construction comp hmmmmm

I don't know where it may be available outside the US, but http://www.adafruit.com/ has a 7 inch HDMI monitor that works with the Pi.

They also have a small keyboard. Looks too small for my fingers, but might work for others.
    --

Jim,

You might be interested in the HDMIPI screen thats due to launch you can preorder http://hdmipi.com/ and its being sold by a firm in the UK.
    Peter, 2E0SQL - http://www.2e0sql.co.uk

Thanks. I already bought a 22" screen during the holiday sales. Going to feel weird; 22 inch monitor, a USB keyboard, and a tiny computer.
    --

I finally got a chance to look over/read the ARRL book on Arduino and pickaxe microcontrollers. I knew about QRP, but I hadn't heard of milliwatt transceivers before. I'll look into getting one on the air after I move.
    --

just picked up an email of Maplin, there doing the kit for 59.99 with free delivery and I can go through top cash back and get a bit more too hmmm am dam tempted really really tempted. Just not sure what I would use it for but it would look good lol maybe a portable APRS unit for a go box with 3g via mobile wifi hotspot ooooo think I need to google uses for it lol

If you try to use the Gemma, its another micro-controller that uses the same code as an arduino... make sure you have Windows 7. The drivers don't load under Vista. I was working on a science fiction/Steampunk costume, and the gemma/trinket micro-controllers simply don't work with Vista. Argh.
    Last edited by N4AAB; Sun 16th Mar 2014 at 21:17. Reason: typo
    --

This Article just showed up on the CARS Website.
    Wonder if anyone's brave enough to attempt it (nudge nudge Peter)...

I've bookmarked it. After I move, I'll try and get it working. Not sure when I'll be able to do anything... probably September or later.
    --

Looks like my move is delayed until late May or early June. Argh.
    --

Just received mine (b'day prezzie) which has been set up to run my DVAP. Will be nice to have DStar access from my black hole!
    rgds

Rob
    HB9ETR/G0IFL

Here is mine running a dual band mega dv.

tonynw
    Attached Images Attached Images

Using my Rp3 for emulating older consoles through the PS1 era. Had it running some SDR for awhile and that was fun, too. Maybe I'll order another one to have a dedicated APRS setup