View Poll Results: Are you a member of a National AR body?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am a member of the RSGB

28 51.85%
  • I ma a member of the ARRL

13 24.07%
  • I am a member of another AR org

2 3.70%
  • I am not a member of any national AR org

11 20.37%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are you a member of RSGB/ARRL?

Default Are you a member of RSGB/ARRL?

How many licensed operators are members of their respective amateur radio bodies?

I'm a member of the RSGB. For me, RadCom and the QSL bureau by themselves are good enough reason.

M6SOE, I am afraid you poll is flawed.

I am a member of both.

For now voted for RSGB, but I am ARRL member as well, although not my own national society.
    Last edited by M0TZO; Wed 16th Mar 2011 at 00:14.

I am a member of ARRL.

Quote Originally Posted by G6NHU View Post
    I'm a member of the RSGB. For me, RadCom and the QSL bureau by themselves are good enough reason.
    same reason I'm a member plus some of the contests.
    Peter, 2E0SQL - http://www.2e0sql.co.uk

Tangmere, Chichester, West Sussex, United Kingdom

Maybe I'm not serous enough but I can't justify 50 per year for a magazine with content that I feel at my age I don't need/can't be bothered with and a bureau I wouldn't use.
    Was a member of RSGB back in the 80's when I had more money and as a SWL ear wigging for hours on end and the brain cell wasn't so overloaded!!
    Not knocking them just feel I don't need them.
    Pete - 2EFVL
    The QRM Formally Known As M6PAP!!
    www.selseylifeboats.co.uk
    www.amberleymuseum.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by M0TZO View Post
    M6SOE, I am afraid you poll is flawed.

I am a member of both.

For now voted for RSGB, but I am ARRL member as well, although not my own national society.
    Well I did put "national" apart from entering contests are there any real benefits to being a member of the the ARRL if you don't live in the states?

Yes, I get the CD version of their magazines once a year. Just got the 2010 few weeks ago. Should keep me busy for a while.

Also I hold a US license, so nice to keep up to date on US issued on the ARRL site/email newsletters.

I usually renew in Friedrichshafen, Germany and there's normally some free gift or incentive too for renewing.
    Paul, MTZO - my websites
    Please PM me if you wish to change your username to your callsign

Yes I'm a member but then it cost me 16 this year! 50 is steep. There are many other things I am a member of, Guzzi Club UK, LBPS, CIEH, RAC so it all adds up.

I quite like the magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by M6OZI View Post
    Yes I'm a member but then it cost me 16 this year! 50 is steep. There are many other things I am a member of, Guzzi Club UK, LBPS, CIEH, RAC so it all adds up.

I quite like the magazine.
    50 is a lot of money but I pay by monthly direct debit so I don't even notice it going out and I figure that at a fiver for the magazine is worth it. Especially as I just discovered that entire issues are now finally available for members to download from the RSGB site. They used to have individual articles but not the entire magazines and that's changed recently. They only go back as far as Jan 2010 but at least they're doing it now.

I wish PW would do the same. I'd subscribe tomorrow.

I am ARRL member in US, only because of QST magazine, it has some nice radio and technical articles. also subscribe to QEX. if I can get QST and QEX at discounted price without ARRL membership, I will rather pay lower price without membership.

Direct debit? Well I may be able to handle that....

I used to be a member of RSGB, but have just resigned in protest. However I remain with the ARRL, as I find the QST mag. is well worth the cost of membership. When you look at the cost of ordinary mags in the UK (e.g. most monthly PC mags are in the region of 5, $7) QST is a bargain.
    I don't do QSL cards apart from Royal Signals so no need for any other bureau.

I'm a member of the RSGB, recently renewing my membership. Although not happy with some decisions taken within the RSGB, one being not applying for planning permission before buying the Luso tower, they are the only body representing radio amateurs within the uk, and lack of support and funding will eventually weaken their effectiveness. I also look forward to my monthly Radcom. Some critics can never be satisfied, but hopefully the RSGB will respond to recent criticism and behave more financially responsible.
    Steve M0SVB

Like Paul, I'm a member of both the ARRL (Life Member) and RSGB. So since I live in the US I voted ARRL, but I've been a member of the RSGB since 2009. In my opinion, these organizations are much, much more than the magazines they publish. I enjoy reading Radcom just to learn of some of the differences in the hobby.

Jerry
    Host of the Practical Amateur Radio Podcast - Creating Elmers one podcast at a time. http://www.myamateurradio.com/

Yep same as I too am a member of the RSGB..the Radcom mag is a good mag and in my eyes is better than PW Practical Wireless..to me that is 3 and a half quids worth of "Not a Lot"
    Those of us who are truly brave...Walk without fear

mu0chn

I am a member of both. Only just joined the ARRL, thought I would give it a try

Further to my earlier post, whichever way the RSGB EGM vote goes, I'll rejoin for another year then reconsider wether to remain a member. In the meantime I'll be taking out ARRL membership along side the RSGB's as I enjoy reading QST whenever I see one lying around.
    Steve M0SVB

I joined the ARRL at the RSGB Convention. If I were ten years younger I'd probably pay for life membership, same for the RSGB if that were an option.

I voted RSGB, been a member since about 1978, that was about eight years after I got my first call.