Thread: First contact made!

Red face First contact made!

Well I have broken the 2 day drought and have made my first contact, with OE6RLF in Austria! All the advice from Paul, Peter, Iain and others paid off. I heard someone calling very clearly, nobody was answering - so I did and I nearly fell over when he gave my call back to me and a 54 report! I believe he was casually contesting so there would not be a lot more, but I gave him a 59 report (as it was). He was then obliterated by another station but it had been done!!! I need to get a few things in order though. I had been calling CQ on and off from 1315 onwards and keeping a track of the frequencies I called on, but when I answered a call I didn't write THAT one down. So I could not enter anything in my QRZ database. I have decided to buy a ledger to write the info down in.

Its a little bit amazing 933 miles on 10 watts. Homemade dipole not all that high.

Thanks for all the advice I have been given - it worked! Onwards and upwards. Oh yes I had a good old read of that 64 page "Operating Guide" on the RSGB website - that helped too.

all the best,

Scotty

Congratulations on your first QSO!

I think that keeping a paper logbook is a good idea, I know we don't need to do it any more but I really think it's a good thing to do. I read a letter in RadCom a couple of months ago by someone who commented that they'd lost some QSO details after a computer failure and I immediately thought that if he'd kept a paper log then it would have been OK. I'd hate to lose all my history and it brings back great memories to flick through old logbooks.

I still use one of these logbooks, the RSGB used to sell them as did other companies but they all contained the same insides, my first one had ICOM on the front but was identical inside. I don't know if they're still available but I'd be surprised if they're not.

The insides look like this.

Even though I now computer log everything, I still write all QSOs (except for long contest sessions) in my paper log.

Yes I'm definately going to keep a paper log. I think that (like you) it will be really nice to look back in a few years at whats been done. I'll see if either the RSGB still sell them or anybody else does - I saw some at the hamfair in Plymouth a few weeks ago - should have bought one then, but at the time I thought it would be 6 months before I was on the air.

Maybe have a bit of luck tomorrow too.

all the best

Scott

Hi Scott,

Congratulations! What band are you working on ? I am busy with work daytime, but i have no problem to leave the radio in the background
    and listen for you.

BR

Its all 20 metres at the moment. Monoband dipole, made for a fiver!

Just got the second at 1210 today - much longer QSO and he heard me perfectly clearly gave me a 55 report. He said he would just turn his BEAM towards me....no wonder I heard him so well. It was nice to have a longer QSO and exchange location, and antenna details. I looked him up on QRZ and his location and setup is just lovely. Miles from anywhere in the Norwegian countryside.

One problem I DID have at the beginning was I was slightly off frequency - I had tuned him to what I thought sounded good and in fact I was a little way down, when I got it bang on my signal at his end went up 3 points.

And the third in Denmark. :-)

Really great. But it shows that you have past experience! Keep it going. Oh, and Happy New Year!

I computer log here but to keep it safe from data loss I back it up to Dropbox which enough piece of mind for me.
    Peter, 2E0SQL - http://www.2e0sql.co.uk

Dropbox is great, all my documents are backed up there.

I also had a 'First Contact' today, I had my first QSO on 17m. It was quite a struggle and it took a few goes for him to get my callsign correct but I'm pleased to have done it.

My lad also had his first QSO on HF yesterday, E79D on 40m

Its all go. None today though - got the 4th in Italy yesterday but have been out most of the day with the family on Dartmoor at a posh hotel eating sausage and mash.

Thats great your son got his first HF!