Thread: IC-756 deaf below 1600MHz.

Default IC-756 deaf below 1600MHz.

My IC-756 is tottaly deaf below exactly 1600,00Mhz. When I turn the dial to 1599,99 there's no reception at all. Total silence. I can hear a click of a relay but no sound at the speaker.
    Does anyone know how to fix this problem? I have the Service Manual and some skill, but I prefer to ask you guys, cos maybe someone passed through it before and knows where the problem is at.
    Thank you all in advance for the tips,
    Saraiva,
    Santo Amaro Island

Hmmmmmmm.... the receiver only covers . 30kHz–60MHz! ;-)

Hi Saraiva, if you mean below 1600khz then it may be a problem with the filter board relays, the icom rigs use relays to switch the band pass filters, so filter set 1 may be 0.3mhz to 1.599mhz, filter set 2 may be 1.6mhz to 2.999mhz and so on, The relays can become welded into position which can cause the rig to go deaf on a certain part of the band, normerly all you can hear is uninterupted static as if theres no antenna plugged in?
    I had this problem myself with a 706, it was pretty easy to get the replacement relays from icom, and i think they were only 3 each, but the board itself may be difficult to get at, not sure what the insides of the 756 are like, but if in doubt it is worth asking a shop or icom them selves to take a look.
    Hope this helps.