Thread: Norwich CT - Ham radio operator arrested for alleged radio hoax

Default Norwich CT - Ham radio operator arrested for alleged radio hoax

http://www.norwichbulletin.com/news/...t-gunman-bogus

Norwich — Police today arrested a man who they said in January had fooled Wal-Mart store personnel into believing that someone armed with a shotgun was in front of the store and threatening to shoot people.

According to Norwich police, on Jan. 26, Keith J. Mutch, 35, of 1 Tanner Avenue, used a portable Ham radio-type of setup to pretend to transmit the report of an armed man at about 9:21 p.m. Security personnel at the store overheard the report over their two-way radio system and called police.

When they arrived, police determined the report of an armed man was false.

Mutch turned himself in this afternoon on a warrant charging him with second-degree breach of peace, first-degree reckless endangerment, and first-degree falsely reporting an incident.

Mutch was held on a $5,000 cash bond pending arraignment at Norwich Superior Court on Tuesday.

No further arrests are anticipated in this incident

Police said their investigation revealed Mutch had used a portable Ham radio set-up to make the transmission.
    The article says he used a Ham Radio, but nothing to indicate he was actually licensed.
    Paul, MØTZO - my websites
    Please PM me if you wish to change your username to your callsign

If he'd read his license, he'd have seen the words "false or misleading" (or equivalent) - I wouldn't think he was a ham...

How would they overhear the false call in unless they were on ham radios themselves? I think this guy used one of those little FRS bubble pack radios and found the frequency they were on and transmitted it. Last time I checked Wal Mart employees do not use HAM radio for anything.

in US, person does not have to be a HAM ( licensed operator ) to buy or own transceiver. so many illegal radio user exist in HAM radio band, specially in 144 and 440 MHz band. also they often sell HAM radio cover 26 to 30 MHz, AM, FM, SSB, 100 watts, and many buyer use them illegally on CB band. selling as HAM radio seems to become excuse to have non-certified radio sold on open market.

Quote Originally Posted by AE6ZW View Post
    in US, person does not have to be a HAM ( licensed operator ) to buy or own transceiver. so many illegal radio user exist in HAM radio band, specially in 144 and 440 MHz band. also they often sell HAM radio cover 26 to 30 MHz, AM, FM, SSB, 100 watts, and many buyer use them illegally on CB band. selling as HAM radio seems to become excuse to have non-certified radio sold on open market.
    I can remember when reputable dealers (including Radio Shack, before they stopped selling ham gear and turned into "Cell Phones 'R' Us") would not sell anybody ham transmitters or transceivers, either new or used, unless you showed them your license. It was even VERY difficult to get an amp that would operate on 10M because the idiot CB-ers wanted to use them to go over their legal limit. Now it's all about the Almighty Dollar (or Yen, or Yuan, or Euro - pick your currency), and it sometimes feels as though the "reputable dealer" is a dying breed. Doesn't help that the FCC does not enforce the regs as diligently as it used to. Now we're getting wannabes with CB attitudes on the air, and they seem to be more common at times than the folks I would consider to be REAL hams.

Quote Originally Posted by yaesuuser View Post
    How would they overhear the false call in unless they were on ham radios themselves? I think this guy used one of those little FRS bubble pack radios and found the frequency they were on and transmitted it. Last time I checked Wal Mart employees do not use HAM radio for anything.
    I'm inclined to believe this is what happened.
    --
    73, Jim/N4AAB got my Extra class license on Aug 10, 2017. Vanity call in Oct, 2014.
    My Ham radio site has no popups, no music, no banners.
    'Through the thorns to the stars' from Ghost-in-the-Shell anime.

Quote Originally Posted by YaesuVX8R View Post
    portable Ham radio-type of setup
    Poor choice of words there = poor reporting. tsk, tsk . . .
    Ken

WB8TCR