Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I'm now licensed, My New Callsign is...

Quote Originally Posted by GTGallop View Post
    Born in Dallas and spent 40 years growing up in East Texas between Longview and Houston.
    Ah Houston ... my favorite town to stay away from ... too hot and humid during the spring, summer and fall although it wasn't too bad around Thanksgiving time as I worked at implementing a Nextel MSO in 1997. I guess when you're raised in that area, you get use to the weather. I wonder how you adapted to the Arizona climate being a lot lower humidity although I think this is your rainy season and you've been dumped on twice with weather from California Baha area Hurricanes. I know that was a mess according to a friend of mine ... major flooding & some stupid people trying to drive through the rushing water across the highways (free entertainment for the smart people) and expensive cost for the stupid people since they need First Responders to rescue them $$$$$ which they're Billed for and then the cost to the vehicles $$$$$ to cover the repairs but they never learn.

I always try to impress people thinking of moving out to the Phoenix area ... trying to take a month vacation during June, July, August or September and if you can tolerate the temperatures during those months, you'll be able to live in that area ... if not, don't move there, find some where else except Needles, California or Death Valley or Las Vegas, Nevada. Whoa! Is it hot there too ... average 118 degrees F at 9 O'clock in the morning! Did some camping out near Las Vegas ... a once in a lifetime opportunity never to repeat again. LOL

Dan
    WA9WVX

I was raised in western South Dakota, spent time in north CA, and eastern Michigan, and now in northwest Florida for 14 years. Every area has its own good and bad points. SD will always be home and I do miss the snow, but not the ice and severe cold. FL is great if you can tolerate 90-95 deg heat with 90% humidity for 6+ months of the year.
    de K4ISR

KM4FMK.com

Quote Originally Posted by screwballl View Post
    I do miss the snow
    Here you go then:

This was yesterday morning.

Oh, and this little guy isn't close to even taking any tests, but he's making a good start:

My son Thomas, who's eight. He knows about five or six letters by heart.
    Last edited by OH8GAD; Sat 25th Oct 2014 at 18:53.

We had a nice ice storm that shut down the entire southeastern US this last winter. Was nice to get some winter weather and see a quarter inch of ice covering everything.
    de K4ISR

KM4FMK.com

Quote Originally Posted by screwballl View Post
    We had a nice ice storm that shut down the entire southeastern US this last winter. Was nice to get some winter weather and see a quarter inch of ice covering everything.
    If that's ll you want, maybe I can get the railroad to ship down 60 or 70 hopper cars full of Snow and Ice .... You'll have to supply the 807s!

Default Test Help

I don't have my license yet but i am working to getting a Technician license, do any of you have any tips you are willing to share with me?

Default CALL SIGN

I past my tech test on Nov.20th 2016 here in Virginia and i still have not received my call sign.Can anyone tell me what the usual time frame is to receive call sign.

Quote Originally Posted by WA9WVX View Post
    I always try to impress people thinking of moving out to the Phoenix area ... trying to take a month vacation during June, July, August or September and if you can tolerate the temperatures during those months, you'll be able to live in that area ... if not, don't move there, find some where else except Needles, California or Death Valley or Las Vegas, Nevada. Whoa! Is it hot there too ... average 118 degrees F at 9 O'clock in the morning! Did some camping out near Las Vegas ... a once in a lifetime opportunity never to repeat again. LOL

Dan
    WA9WVX
    I was born and allegedly "grew up" in Las Vegas. A really nice place in the 1940-1950s, but as I got older I got less tolerant of the summer temperatures. Went into the Navy, came off active duty and got married here in Bremerton WA in 1966, moved back to Vegas for about six months and then back to Bremerton. Only reason to go back has been a couple of high school reunions.
    Pat K7KBN
    Semper ubi sub ubi.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    I past my tech test on Nov.20th 2016 here in Virginia and i still have not received my call sign.Can anyone tell me what the usual time frame is to receive call sign.
    Do you remember who the administering VEC was?

The problem with the larger VECs (ARRL, W5YI, Laurel) that test nationwide is that all the results have to be sent to a central location to be checked and the electronic batch file prepared for submission to the FCC. In many cases the results are sent by the VE team via the US Postal Service. Even with Priority Mail, this slows the process.

Smaller organizations, like SANDARC (San Diego Amateur Radio Council) have the ability to deliver the results the same day, whether by hand or electronically. This allows the VEC to review the results and prepare the batch file promptly, resulting in call signs appearing the ULS quicker.

A good example is the examination I administered Saturday evening. There were 34 individuals taking the Technician examination after a day long class. I scanned all the paperwork and sent the file to the VEC yesterday morning. All the call signs were up in the ULS database before I even got out of bed this morning. And I've already heard some of them on the air...

If the larger VECs could start taking steps to transmit their results electronically rather than by mail, the process could be accelerated and these two-week waits for call signs could be reduced.

As of last Thursday, I am now known as KD9HYX having passed the exam a weak earlier.

Now to find somebody to talk to.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by M0TTB View Post
    Oddly enough, my initials.
    Odderly enough, AJB is/are my 50yo DAUGHTER'S initials!
    Pat K7KBN
    Semper ubi sub ubi.

Retook the Technician test and my new call sign is KG5RXU. I have updated my QRZ info.

Default I passed!

Two days ago I got my call sign: KM6IQD
    Got the Yaesu FTM-400XDR installed tonight.
    Now I jsut have to figure out what I am doing.