Thread: TH-79A LCD Repair

Default TH-79A LCD Repair

Hi All,

Okay I need a tech that can work on surface components.

My beloved TH-79A has lost its LCD Display. I think it may simply be a dried up capacitor but Iím not sure. After the radio has been powered down for a day or two and then powered up the display will partially charge then quickly drop out again. It plays and xmits fine otherwise.
    I do not have the eyes or the equipment to work on the PCBs in this radio. Hoping to find someone in the San Diego, CA County area but will consider otherwise if necessary.
    Kenwood will not work on it as it is too old although many parts are still available through Pacific Parts (PacParts.com).

Tks,

Dave
    KJ6BTW

Default LCD Problems...

Hello Dave,

Would you like to sell your Kenwood 79a with the LCD problems for 'parts'? The displays are not available any more (!*$&#) but I could use some of the other parts inside.

Default Kenwood th-79a for parts

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Miller View Post
    Hello Dave,

Would you like to sell your Kenwood 79a with the LCD problems for 'parts'? The displays are not available any more (!*$&#) but I could use some of the other parts inside.
    I have a th-79a with a bad screen. its available for sale if anyone wants it.
    cory
    kb0nmh on qrz.com

hey dave do you have this radios for sale ?.
    Alex

I believe I have two TH-79As sitting down in my basement. Should be in good working order, except probably need new batteries.

Post Kenwood TH-79A LCD Repair

I have TH-79A that works fine, except for the LCD screen is not displaying correctly. I suspect it has something to do with the data ribbon. It gets better or worse whenever I fiddle around with the ribbon. I would hate to throw away the radio when someone can use it for parts. Anybody want it? Or, does anyone have one where the display works, and they want to give theirs away for parts. I live in Huntington Beach, Ca.

Post TH-79A LCD Screen is not working

I have a TH-79A which seems to be working but the screen does not display. I think in all other aspects the radio is working - but difficult to really tell. I'd like to see if anyone knows about repairing one of these, or maybe selling to someone for parts. I've ordered additional batteries for it, but I do not believe the charger I have is working any longer. If anyone is interested, please let me know.

Thanks,

Joe
    KC5VPO