Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hobby newb very confused & looking at Yeasu radio's

Default Re: Hobby newb very confused & looking at Yeasu radio's

Quote Originally Posted by osric
    I've found these exchanges very useful. I'm a Newbie also, looking for practical inputs, and my experience has been just like yours Erik -- just about nobody wants to know, my local club is not interested to pass on experience, and the whole thing is a bit like the search for the holy grail. Anyway, if you've got time to tell us what's happened since your last mail end March I'd be very interested to hear.

osric
    My feeling is I'm beginning to understand why so many are protective of this hobby and not so open when someone says they want to join the fold. BUT, not being open to new people who might not follow the path as prescribed by others doesn't mean their intention is any less meaningful. I personally can't just read a book, get certified and then buy the hardware, many can and thatís great, me, I have to tear it apart and get to know it, then get certified. This is just how I work; when I got into computers I tore into them and read about what makes them tick, within 6 months of getting into the field I went from warehouse to Helpdesk, 6 months later I was in charge of service. This makes me backwards but I'm the first guy people call when they want things fixed.

The antics going on over on 20m is enough to drive many from the hobby but then the night I got home from Dayton I checked out 14.275 and heard a guy CQ'ing from Norway and the very positive QSO's he was having, it was fantastic. I'm going for my General ASAP so if that happens again I can say hello to Norway and maybe hear others from my home country as well, maybe get some QSL cards, that would be great! When I went to Dayton everybody was very friendly, there were a lot of people there getting their Tech and the people were great, I had an awesome time. So my opinion is if you're new like me, remember there are very good people in this hobby but like any hobby there are bad apples who love to ruin it for others, that in itself is their hobby but I refuse to let people like that drive my experience, I have control of that. I made a mistake of expressing my opinion about 14.275 and some of the nuts on it in detail on another forum, because of the openness of our license I will not make that mistake again, at least not naming names, some people just have so much time on their hands they just might take it from the radio or web to another level, my wife and family donít need that. I made one last post and never went back, if I could delete the thread, I would, instead I'll just let it go deeper into the back pages unless people are still posting in it of course... I digress.

If you hear illegal activity on a band, send it to the FCC, the rules state we self police and it seems many have lost sight of that and just shout turn the dial. I donít believe in turning a deaf ear to illegal activity be it on the street in front of my house or on the radio Iím told Iím supposed to be proud to own and get licensed on. Iíve heard the very same people talk about the hobby and how I should get licensed and when I mentioned the crap I heard on 14.275 and otherís I was looked at like something was wrong with me, why didnít I just turn the dial?

What does a person take from that, get your license and obey the rules except in this instance or that instance. Iím an all or nothing kinda guy, if Iím all in, Iím all in, not half way or kinda in. If I hear some guys talking about how they want someone dead or what have you, Iím going to take that to the proper authorities and if they donít do anything at least I tried. I guess thatís it, I kinda got on a tangent there, good luck with the hobby! :mrgreen:
    73's to all
    Erik

Boat Anchors
    Hallicrafters SX-25 Super Defiant
    Hallicrafters S-38
    New Equipment
    Icom 746Pro
    Astron RS-35M
    Klipsch 2.0 Speakers
    Comet GP-3 2/440 Antenna
    Radiowavz 20 meter dipole

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by osric
    I've found these exchanges very useful. I'm a Newbie also, looking for practical inputs, and my experience has been just like yours Erik -- just about nobody wants to know, my local club is not interested to pass on experience, and the whole thing is a bit like the search for the holy grail. Anyway, if you've got time to tell us what's happened since your last mail end March I'd be very interested to hear.
    osric
    I found an element of that to start with but since I've actually got over the hurdle of getting my first licence it's been a lot easier.

Quote Originally Posted by M3YFC
    I found an element of that to start with but since I've actually got over the hurdle of getting my first licence it's been a lot easier.
    Good point.
    73's to all
    Erik

Boat Anchors
    Hallicrafters SX-25 Super Defiant
    Hallicrafters S-38
    New Equipment
    Icom 746Pro
    Astron RS-35M
    Klipsch 2.0 Speakers
    Comet GP-3 2/440 Antenna
    Radiowavz 20 meter dipole

IMO, trying a radio before you buy is a good idea... At least to see if you are comfy with the knobs and everything. Some radios that retail at thousands of dollars are tricky to get around! So invest carefully=)
    New and used transceivers, amplifiers, gear and other outlet accessories: http://www..com