Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hobby newb very confused & looking at Yeasu radio's

Default Re: Hobby newb very confused & looking at Yeasu radio's

Quote Originally Posted by m0bov
    Do spread the word!!!! We have 200 members now and its slowly going up!
    I used to see my neighbor outside every day, since that mast went up I haven't seen him once! When I finally do see him I'll mention this forum and see if he's a member already or not.

73's

Erik
    73's to all
    Erik

Boat Anchors
    Hallicrafters SX-25 Super Defiant
    Hallicrafters S-38
    New Equipment
    Icom 746Pro
    Astron RS-35M
    Klipsch 2.0 Speakers
    Comet GP-3 2/440 Antenna
    Radiowavz 20 meter dipole

Well, to keep this thread on topic (Yaesu ) I lost the battle to resist spending more money and got an 897 to keep the 817 company. Pretty big size difference, which I already knew from using the ruler, but in the flesh it's more dramatic! So far it seems like a very nice radio and I can use my full 10 watts of power now. Role on an intermediate license and more power.

Quote Originally Posted by wildsmith
    Well, to keep this thread on topic (Yaesu ) I lost the battle to resist spending more money and got an 897 to keep the 817 company. Pretty big size difference, which I already knew from using the ruler, but in the flesh it's more dramatic! So far it seems like a very nice radio and I can use my full 10 watts of power now. Role on an intermediate license and more power.

Congrats! I was going to get the 897, I looked at it when I bought my 746, the 897 was/is very tempting!
    73's to all
    Erik

Boat Anchors
    Hallicrafters S-38
    New Equipment
    Icom 746Pro
    Astron RS-35M
    Klipsch 2.0 Speakers
    Comet GP-3 2/440 Antenna

Moved post to "Amateur Radio" so you can now can continue as Yaesu or Icom. Enjoy!
    Paul, MØTZO - my websites
    Please PM me if you wish to change your username to your callsign

Quote Originally Posted by M0TZO
    Moved post to "Amateur Radio" so you can now can continue as Yaesu or Icom. Enjoy!
    Thanks Paul!
    73's to all
    Erik

Boat Anchors
    Hallicrafters S-38
    New Equipment
    Icom 746Pro
    Astron RS-35M
    Klipsch 2.0 Speakers
    Comet GP-3 2/440 Antenna

Well as a pretty newbie myself - June last year so not even a year yet - I kinda/sorta did what you did but on a smaller scale. Knew I'd start out as a tech so did some research and got a Yaesu FT 2800 set it up as a mobile/base and after getting tied in with my local ARC, so I could get the local frequencies, LISTENED to every thing I could! This was all before I took my test and got my license. Like you I KNEW better than to transmit! Like I said I did a LOT of listening! It helped in many ways not the least being I knew the local "protocol" for our repeater systems. That way when I finally got on the air, other than being a little hesitant and nervous during my first few contacts, I already knew the procedure. Then less than a month later, did a LOT of studying, took my General, and passed. In between those time my "Elmer" loaned me an old Swan tube rig - hadn't seen one of those in >30 years - so I could try my luck on 10 meters - which of course wasn't running and in my neck of the woods STILL isn't running, anyway I again got to do a LOT of listening on the HF bands before I ever had the ability to transmit there!
    Well this is my story and I'm sticking to it!!
    Good luck and use the MANY online practice test sites they DO help!!
    73's
    Sarge

FLW: Hey bubba hold my beer and watch this! :lol: :lol:
    SFC, US Army, Retired
    I was a soldier * I am a soldier * I will always be a soldier

Sarge,

Exactly! Listening is half the fun, I have been noting all the different conversations I've heard, time, hopefully location if they say it and anything that can help me when I go on the air for the first time. I've even heard some people get read the riot act for not using repeaters properly and one guy for not using his call sign when he jumped into a conversation to call a couple of guys idiots. Most of what I have heard so far has been guys and a few ladies using it respectfully and following protocol, at least as well as I know it.

My efforts to find an "Elmer" have not gotten anywhere (it's not like I advertised for one ) but Spring is coming so I'm hoping somebody has the time. Taking the Tech the first week in April may be a bit aggressive but I'm hoping to do it, maybe even get the General done by summer time under my belt.

The hardest thing I'm going to have to deal with is proper antenna location, my neighborhood is not the type to look kindly to wires and antennas all over so I'm looking at stealth and clever ways of installing everything.

I'm going to the AES Superfest on March 29th and hope to meet some of you guys if you go!

73's,

Erik
    73's to all
    Erik

Boat Anchors
    Hallicrafters S-38
    New Equipment
    Icom 746Pro
    Astron RS-35M
    Klipsch 2.0 Speakers
    Comet GP-3 2/440 Antenna

There are many good radios but AVOID the FT-100 or 100D they blow finals and the finals are not avabile

Well, seems you got yourself a fine radio. I run the 756ProII at home with a G5RV antenna and a dedicated 10m vertical for the local 10m net. I also have the 897D and 817nd. Both of these radios are great depending on what I use them for. I like the 897D for portable when taking my car and setting up in different locations with out hiking. The batteries are very expensive and I don't like the charger because you have to buy three separete peices. The 817nd is great for backpacking along with my Buddistick. I use the Buddipole with both if setting up roadside. Both radios are used with the computer if roadside also for digital. I will set the 817 up for digital and the 897 for voice.
    I too was in the same boat as you. I did however get my license first and while looking for a good radio to suit my purpose I used Echolink which was great. It aloud my to talk to people all over the world with out the use of a Transciever.
    As far as the test goes, there are many online test available at places like QTH.com, QRZ.com, and Eham.net. I find the online interactive stuff was easier to learn from than the books. Anyway welcome to the world of Amateur Radio. Hope to catch you on the air someday. Let us know how you make out with the testing.

Super Moderator

I did the foundation exam with Jon and made the same FT-817 decision. I'm in the "just buy a transceiver" camp as well, since it's pretty easy to figure out how to prevent it from transmitting (leaving the mic in the box is a good start) so you don't even accidentally transmit until you are legal. I didn't last too long before getting a more powerful transmitter either though I defected to the ICOM camp when I saw an IC-7000 second hand and mint at a local dealer, and had just sold some stuff I no longer needed.

I'm doing the intermediate exam on 4th June, so hopefully will be able to use at least half of that power output before too long!

Quote Originally Posted by martin9428
    Well, seems you got yourself a fine radio. I run the 756ProII at home with a G5RV antenna and a dedicated 10m vertical for the local 10m net. I also have the 897D and 817nd. Both of these radios are great depending on what I use them for. I like the 897D for portable when taking my car and setting up in different locations with out hiking. The batteries are very expensive and I don't like the charger because you have to buy three separete peices. The 817nd is great for backpacking along with my Buddistick. I use the Buddipole with both if setting up roadside. Both radios are used with the computer if roadside also for digital. I will set the 817 up for digital and the 897 for voice.
    I too was in the same boat as you. I did however get my license first and while looking for a good radio to suit my purpose I used Echolink which was great. It aloud my to talk to people all over the world with out the use of a Transciever.
    As far as the test goes, there are many online test available at places like QTH.com, QRZ.com, and Eham.net. I find the online interactive stuff was easier to learn from than the books. Anyway welcome to the world of Amateur Radio. Hope to catch you on the air someday. Let us know how you make out with the testing.
    I'm at Dayton, I took my test this morning and passed. WooHoo! I'll be joining echlink as soon as my call shows on the database. My wife is now showing interest as well and is thinking of getting her Tech with code!
    73's to all
    Erik

Boat Anchors
    Hallicrafters S-38
    New Equipment
    Icom 746Pro
    Astron RS-35M
    Klipsch 2.0 Speakers
    Comet GP-3 2/440 Antenna

Well done Erik 8) , hope you had a good time at Dayton wish i was there but University , lack of funds and no passport doesn't help.
    Peter, 2E0SQL - http://www.2e0sql.co.uk

Congratulations on you license and if the XYL shows any interest at all, nurture it. Alot of us would love the wife to show interest. Mine does not have any interest but, does not bother me about it

Congratulations, you didn't have to wait too long to be able to use your new toys in anger, well done

Quote Originally Posted by m3php
    Well done Erik 8) , hope you had a good time at Dayton wish i was there but University , lack of funds and no passport doesn't help.
    Dayton was fun, would have liked to have been involved with some of the forums going on but the XYL didn't feel like it and you married guys know when the XYL doesn't want to do something, it's in our best interest to not push the buttons. The "Dayton Special Pricing" seemed to be raise the price of your goods, not lower them so I didn't buy anything while there except for the ARRL General study guide, I'm going for that one next month.

Good luck in University! I wish I had the funds back in the day to go!
    73's to all
    Erik

Boat Anchors
    Hallicrafters S-38
    New Equipment
    Icom 746Pro
    Astron RS-35M
    Klipsch 2.0 Speakers
    Comet GP-3 2/440 Antenna

Quote Originally Posted by martin9428
    Congratulations on you license and if the XYL shows any interest at all, nurture it. Alot of us would love the wife to show interest. Mine does not have any interest but, does not bother me about it
    I am very carefully nurturing it, she isn't really interested in the radio side of it, just the CW side so step by step we are getting there.
    73's to all
    Erik

Boat Anchors
    Hallicrafters S-38
    New Equipment
    Icom 746Pro
    Astron RS-35M
    Klipsch 2.0 Speakers
    Comet GP-3 2/440 Antenna

Congratulations, you didn't have to wait too long to be able to use your new toys in anger, well done

In anger? :?
    73's to all
    Erik

Boat Anchors
    Hallicrafters S-38
    New Equipment
    Icom 746Pro
    Astron RS-35M
    Klipsch 2.0 Speakers
    Comet GP-3 2/440 Antenna

Quote Originally Posted by viking396
    Thanks finished today! time to go find proper job which pays money and pay back £20,000~ which I owe in loans :mrgreen:
    Peter, 2E0SQL - http://www.2e0sql.co.uk

I've found these exchanges very useful. I'm a Newbie also, looking for practical inputs, and my experience has been just like yours Erik -- just about nobody wants to know, my local club is not interested to pass on experience, and the whole thing is a bit like the search for the holy grail. Anyway, if you've got time to tell us what's happened since your last mail end March I'd be very interested to hear.

osric

Quote Originally Posted by m3php
    Quote Originally Posted by viking396
    Thanks finished today! time to go find proper job which pays money and pay back £20,000~ which I owe in loans :mrgreen:
    Congrats! Excellent, I'm thinking of taking classes this fall, one for math and another for advanced networking and Windows Server 2008, can't get rusty!
    73's to all
    Erik

Boat Anchors
    Hallicrafters S-38
    New Equipment
    Icom 746Pro
    Astron RS-35M
    Klipsch 2.0 Speakers
    Comet GP-3 2/440 Antenna