Thread: Which radio to receive IOM radio

Default Which radio to receive IOM radio

Can anybody help me. I would like to buy a radio that picks up medium wave from the IOM during the tt week. It is on AM 1568. I can receive it on my car radio , but not on any portable radio. Why is this and would a small good quality radio such as a Sangean 200vx do the job. I need it to be smallish so I can take it into my work. Thanks. I live in Londonderry N.ireland.

Default Re: Which radio to receive IOM radio

Bit of an open ended question as so many models of radio out there, but I can narrow it a little (hopefully).

I have owned 2 good Rx'ing radios recently, both good in their own ways.

1st was a Grundig Yatchboy. Although was a world-band radio was even able to Rx SSB signals.
    2nd was an Alinco DJ-X10 which was a handheld scanner. It could Rx all bands/modes from 0.1 - 2,000Mhz.

had a quick look via Google and the Sangean DT-200VX (I think is what your referring to) doesn't look too bad.

I guess the big question would actually be "What is your Budget??"

Well good luck, maybe give us a IOM TT Report 8)
    Paul, MTZO - my websites
    Please PM me if you wish to change your username to your callsign

Thanks for your quick reply, the problem is that I would have to get it from the states but I could do that. By the way why can I receive it in my car radio and not on a portable?
    The cost... well I really need it to be small , but not nessesarily cheap. The main problem is can I be sure that it will pick up the signal inside a building. The frequency range for the Sangean is FM 87.5-108 MHz
    AM 522-1629 kHz
    AM 520-1710 kHz
    TV 2-13 CH Does this mean I will be able to receive radio tt or is it not as simple as thatt

You can probably Rx in car due to bigger antenna. If you purchase a handheld radio, see if you can add other antennas and maybe invest in a telescopic whip antenna.

If your going to be able to put an antenna up at work, maybe invest in a proper scanning antenna. Moonraker have some scanning antennas you may want to look at, although you possibly want to get in US as well to save your dollars.

With regards to Radio TT, I don't know about that, but hopefully someone else can answer.
    Paul, MTZO - my websites
    Please PM me if you wish to change your username to your callsign

Thanks Paul , I have a second chance offer on a Sangean on E bay so I think I will go for that , thanks for your help.

Do you have internet access at work? If so you could listen to it on the web in stereo!
    James
    http://www.m0bov.co.uk
    HamRadioForum founding member and moderator

Quote Originally Posted by m0bov
    Do you have internet access at work? If so you could listen to it on the web in stereo!
    Although a great idea might have problems depending on where you work, as a lot block streaming applications or its against company IT policy so I'd double check. before doing it.
    Peter, 2E0SQL - http://www.2e0sql.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by percival
    Can anybody help me. I would like to buy a radio that picks up medium wave from the IOM during the tt week. It is on AM 1568. I can receive it on my car radio , but not on any portable radio. Why is this and would a small good quality radio such as a Sangean 200vx do the job. I need it to be smallish so I can take it into my work. Thanks. I live in Londonderry N.ireland.
    hmm quick google and all I found was Manx Radio on 1368 MW. Could this be the station you are talking about? Best Radio hmm probably the Eton E5. from other forums i'm on it seems to be superior reception wise that the Grundig YB 400. As for other radios i'll be honest i have no clue
    Andrew, 2EUOK
    RadiosGalore - The Ultimate Radio Directory - Launching soon!!

The TT is broadcast by Manx Radio on 1368khz during race fortnight, the FM broadcasts are used for the usual day to day radio programmes.

As to which radio to use, that is rather open-ended, how much do you want to pay, how much use will you get out of it etc.

Manx Radio on 1368khz can be heard on the M6 witha car radio, so don't go overboard on price.

Stuart, GD0OUD