Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you use for day to day logging

Default What do you use for day to day logging

Hi All,

Heres an interesting question, what do you use for day to day logging of ham radio contacts?

When i first got licensed back in 2002 i actually logged using paper for the first couple of months but found it annoying as you could not search it quickly to see if you'd already worked the person. I started looking for computer applications at first i used http://jlog.org/ which runs on any operating system.

I then moved onto http://www.winlog32.co.uk after getting bored with that i decided to use Ham Radio Deluxe, which has everything you'll ever need from rig control, logging, maps and now digital modes! http://hrd.ham-radio.ch/

what do you use?
    Peter, 2E0SQL - http://www.2e0sql.co.uk

Default Re: What do you use for day to day logging

Day to Day?

A lot of my current QSOs are on 2m which I don't log, unless the person wants eQSL

I use HamRadioDeluxe as well for non-contest worth logging contacts.
    Paul, MØTZO - my websites
    Please PM me if you wish to change your username to your callsign

Im using MixW.. A'm only logging HF contacts.

Recently my computer crashed(I was using HRD) and I lost all of my contacts made since June when I got the current call. Thankfully I had a paper backup, so it was just a matter of reentering all the information i had logged on paper.

So what have I learnt? Always keep a paper and disk backup

73 Jon
    Jon, EI7GNB/MIØJVI http://www.jonsmyth.co.uk

Beware the lightning that lurketh in an undischarged capacitor lest it cause thee to be bounced upon thy buttocks in a most ungentlemanly manner!

Quote Originally Posted by 2i0jvi
    Recently my computer crashed(I was using HRD) and I lost all of my contacts made since June when I got the current call. Thankfully I had a paper backup, so it was just a matter of reentering all the information i had logged on paper.
    Ouch, This is why i keep multiple backups of everything!!

VQLog 3.0 and Logger32, one buy and one free
    ---
    73 de Magnus SA6AQD
    49ers forever

Ham Radio Deluxe is the one for me, but I also keep a paper log as well.

I used an Apple IIe (yes I know.....) for logging up until about 1997, when I bit the bullet and bought an IBM clone PC. Naturally, the Apple software was not compatable with windows, but I kept a copy of my log on floppy discs (anybody remember the 5.25" disks?), complete with a copy of the operating programe. My intention was to get an Apple Emulator, copy the contacts to a new programme, and all would be ok. Well, an emulator never turned up, the MASSIVE discs got lost in a house move, and so a good five years worth of contacts/operating has been lost. :cry:

It may be duplicating work, but at least I shouldn't lose both.

Stuart, GD0OUD.

Super Moderator

I intend to use HRD when I get going on HF - it seems a tremendously capable program.

Backups... well, since I just got a subscription to Mozy it would be a shame not to!

(Disclaimer: I work for their parent company)

Quote Originally Posted by M3YFC
    Backups... well, since I just got a subscription to Mozy it would be a shame not to!

(Disclaimer: I work for their parent company)
    Interesting you say that, i'm looking for offsite backups for my uni work, as i'm on my final year now! was thinking of using Amazon S3, but still looking i'll take a look at mozy!

Right back to doing my portfolio to go with my cv.

Super Moderator

The fundamental difference between a service like Mozy and Amazon S3 is that Mozy is designed to be a backup service and proivdes data encryption, and can also do "DVD restore" (they'll mail you all your data on DVD if you lose the entire PC, rather than wait for 50Gb to download over the wire).

S3 is a storage service - it can be used for backup, but you have to do some work to make it happen.

Andy

Hi Andy

The fundamental difference between a service like Mozy and Amazon S3 is that Mozy is designed to be a backup service and proivdes data encryption, and can also do "DVD restore" (they'll mail you all your data on DVD if you lose the entire PC, rather than wait for 50Gb to download over the wire).
    Sounds interesting, not to worried about backup encryption on remote backups for University work nothing that causes a risk to me, would be stored outside of the local network. the idea of them being able to do DVD restore is a plus

S3 is a storage service - it can be used for backup, but you have to do some work to make it happen.
    This is true, I've found a number of applications which work out of the box, JungleDisk which is what I've been focusing my attention on! as i can't afford to lose my final project :shock:

At the moment i keep regular backups on a couple of external hard drives and radio logs are stored on another pc on the network.

Super Moderator

Another option is to buy a USB external drive and backup everything to that... OK if the whole lot gets stolen I'm hosed, but that's the least of my problems if the house get done over.

Andy

Another option is to buy a USB external drive and backup everything to that... OK if the whole lot gets stolen I'm hosed, but that's the least of my problems if the house get done over.
    Nothing beats USB external drives! for non important backups cheap and easy enough to store! but like you say if someone breaks into the house your in trouble! :shock: Then again when it comes to radio logs, i doubt I'd lose much sleep over it.

Hi,
    for those out there using Linux, have a look at fl_logbook and fldigi by W1HKJ. It certainly doesn't have all the features HRD/Digital master have, but things logged in the digi mode program fldigi, automatically get send to fl_logbook. Hopefully an auto eQSL upload gets implemented some day. It does however import/export adif, so manual upload/download from eQSLis possible.

73 de Richard PA3GWH
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    The only real mistake is the one from which we learn nothing!

I use a old version of logger 32 vr 2.6 i think i tried to update to the newest version but cant get it to install so i will stay with the one i have.

i have hrd and use it for rig control but find the logger lacking maybe i hadn't it set up correct but it does not do what i wanted so i reverted back to logger32.

problem with hrd is that is does so much you really need to have it set up 100% to get the most out of it.

Ham Radio Deluxe for me also. I love the feature of being able to type in the call sign and hitting the QRZ tab and bringing up the contact's info and then being able to copy it right into the log.

Also being able to click on a DX spot, radio goes directly to the frequency. Then highlighting the DX call and bringing up the logbook. When adding a new contact that DX call sign shows up, the frequency and mode also. QRZ the info and hit add! Doesn't get any easier than that right there.

Always back your logbook, and make sure to put that file on a spare drive, whether it be internal or external. Then you will not lose your contacts. You can always reload HRD and then reload your log files.

I use HRD to control my Icom 718 and that program makes me lazy! I rarely touch the rig other than to turn it off and on or get into the main menu settings.

The nice bonus is the software is free

Quote Originally Posted by ei2glb
    Problem with hrd is that is does so much you really need to have it set up 100% to get the most out of it.
    This is very true, but I think the effort is worth it the amount it can do is really impressive and with the new digital modes program its becoming the only program I use outside of contests 8)

I have my FT840 connected to my Mac I am using Maclogger DX which does very similar stuff to HRD,(HRD not Available to Mac users,Shame) Both will look up callsign for you and enter details in relevant boxes which is great for me

I have two paper logs also for Home Base and Mobile. I use HRD with my FT857 from my laptop(Vista)
    I also back up to a memory stick.
    73 Tony

I use HRD logbook for all HF contacts and 50miles + contacts on 2m, all are plotted via locator to google earth. I use HRD on desktop and laptop and both logbooks are updated to and from eachother.
    Simon is planning a major revamp of the HRD logbook early next year, although I have to admit it's pretty good as it is... I'm looking forward to a simplified means of getting my logbook on the web, as all I've managed so far is geting the logbook dxcc analysis up.

I do also have a very large manuscript book, for which there is a page for every dxcc prefix and further broken down into regional prefixes for countries (where they exist) with an entry line for each HF band (I had the same for my SWL days)...so I do like writing logs, which has more satisfaction to me.

cheers,
    Andy
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by M6ADL
    I also back up to a memory stick.
    I am in stages (still after 2 weeks) of moving to a new PC. One of the things I plan to do is move my HRD profile stuff to my DropBox account so will sync across multiple computers.

Will report back (when I have this sorted) in a new topic.
    Paul, MØTZO - my websites
    Please PM me if you wish to change your username to your callsign