PDA

View Full Version : Argosy

kb0zke
Fri 10th Aug 2018, 20:35
Several years ago I inherited an Argosy. At that time I was a no-code Technician, so couldn't use it much. I had a 40M NVIS antenna, and I could hear quite a bit. Now I'm a full-time RV'er, living in a motor home. I recently passed my General, so I dug out the Argosy. Today I managed to get power to it and connect it to the CB antenna thru an MFJ-934 antenna tuner. Not a peep out of the radio. I then connected the antenna directly to the radio. Still nothing.

When the CB antenna is connected to the CB radio the radio works, so I would guess that the connector, coax, and antenna are at least more or less capable of disturbing the ether. I have a barrel connector to allow me to take the coax off of the CB radio and extend it to the MFJ. Both that coax and the shorter length to go to the Argosy are about six months old. The CB antenna and coax are most likely original to the coach, which means 1993. My plan was to replace the CB antenna with a Hamstick, but if the radio is deaf maybe I should get a newer radio first.

Questions:
1. What else am I missing here?
2. How do I figure out what frequency I'm on? I have the manual, and have figured out the 9-position band switch, and as I turn the tuning knob the LED moves from about 0.5 to almost 5 (or about 5.5 to almost 0 on the lower line.
3. This may be better as a new thread, but what should I do about RF grounding? Both the Argosy and MFJ have places for a ground wire. I understand that both items should be connected to the same ground, but what to use? Since the exterior is fiberglass and the interior is walnut wood, access to the steel structure is rather limited. Obviously, an 8' ground rod driven into the ground isn't very practical.

Thanks for your help.

OH8GAD
Fri 10th Aug 2018, 21:59
Frequency is a good start. Are you in touch with any other local radio amateurs? If so, then see if someone can visit with a 40 metre rig and tune around until they locate your signal.
If not, then do you the facility to do soldering? If you do, then check out the web shop Banggood (www.banggood.com), they do a really good 0 to 50 MHz frequency counter for less than USD 10 - seriously, they are bl00dy good, I have two. But make sure you either protect the input or reduce your rig's output power to milliwatts.

But, still try and find your nearest amateur radio club, there should be folk willing to help.

kb0zke
Fri 10th Aug 2018, 23:21
Thanks. Since we travel full-time in our motorhome I'm rarely in a place when the local club has a meeting. More often that you might think, the monthly meeting was the week before we arrived.

OH8GAD
Sat 11th Aug 2018, 00:03
Well, since you need to be fairly self contained, you need to decide how you're going to manage things: Buy new stuff, guaranteed to work, or make do and mend. I guess it comes down to finances and what you can do in the motorhome. I mean, do you have the space to work with a soldering iron and knock up a few kits? If yes, then I know of a few useful, cheap kits that would help.

Rob.