PDA

View Full Version : Question About Baofeng Programming

James Mac
Sat 21st Feb 2015, 21:52
Can someone tell me what they think I'm doing wrong? I programmed these numbers into a Baofeng UV-5R (470.51250 131.8PL Waltham PD1A Police F1 Analog FM Law Talk) The radio looks like it is receiving something because it lights up like it should but I do not hear anything at all. I got the Fire Dept to work but I am struggling with getting the popo... Can someone please shed some light on this??? I just got the cable in the mail but I wanted to learn how to manually program it myself, if I cannot get that done then I will just CHIRP away...

No I am not licensed but I will be shortly. Yes I understand the laws. No I will not be transmitting.

Thanks in advance

Edited: On another note. I just bought another Baofeng radio, this time I got the BF-F9V2+ and I cannot use CHIRP to program it :confused: If someone has successfully programmed this radio using CHIRP 0.4.1 I would be interested in learning any tricks you used to make the magic happen. The 1st one (5R) I got was a breeze compared to this...

GTGallop
Sun 22nd Feb 2015, 11:45
Can you hear stuff on other freq's? Confirming the speaker is working?

James Mac
Sun 22nd Feb 2015, 15:50
Yes, the radio works. I got the Fire Department frequency to work and I have picked up other cities police frequencies, but for whatever reason Waltham police is giving me difficulties...

K7KBN
Sun 22nd Feb 2015, 16:04
Squelch maybe a bit high?

James Mac
Sun 22nd Feb 2015, 16:56
Thanks K7KBN, but I turned the squelch down to 3 and still couldn't hear anything...

VE6SDG
Sun 22nd Feb 2015, 17:46
Get rid of the tone sq. You don't need it to hear them only to TX. I'd be careful with that radio for scanner use, no way to inhibit TX even with CHIRP and if it falls over or something hits the button your keying up where your not supposed to.

WX4LTG
Sun 22nd Feb 2015, 19:53
Get rid of the tone sq. You don't need it to hear them only to TX. I'd be careful with that radio for scanner use, no way to inhibit TX even with CHIRP and if it falls over or something hits the button your keying up where your not supposed to.

In CHIRP, set the duplex to "off" and it won't transmit when that memory channel is selected. They fixed it a few revisions back...

VE6SDG
Sun 22nd Feb 2015, 23:03
In CHIRP, set the duplex to "off" and it won't transmit when that memory channel is selected. They fixed it a few revisions back...

Good to know. I'm used to programming commercial radios and they have a specific "RX only" or "TX inhibit" box to check off for most radios.

James Mac
Mon 23rd Feb 2015, 01:54
Get rid of the tone sq. You don't need it to hear them only to TX.

Thank you VE6SDG! I turned squelch down to 0 and now I am hearing static when the green light comes on! I still am not hearing voices but I feel like I am making progress... :encouragement: lol

In CHIRP, set the duplex to "off" and it won't transmit when that memory channel is selected.

WX4LTG, thank you much! this is great advice for anyone!

James Mac
Tue 24th Feb 2015, 15:24
I think I found the problem... I attached the screenshot from radioreference.com

Can someone confirm that this is the reason I cannot receive the police on my cheap Chinese Baofeng?

WX4LTG
Tue 24th Feb 2015, 18:39
Your Baofeng can't speak P25.

GTGallop
Tue 24th Feb 2015, 21:32
Try to program in the repeaters for 2/70. You should get some chowder chatter going up there.

http://www.repeaterbook.com/repeaters/LocationSearch.php?state_id=25&type=city&loc=Waltham

James Mac
Sat 28th Feb 2015, 00:41
Your Baofeng can't speak P25.

So now my question is this: Can a radio that receives P25 still receive all the HAM bands??? I kinda want a radio that does it all, if even possible...

Try to program in the repeaters for 2/70. You should get some chowder chatter going up there.

My word! I have already programmed all the repeaters... I would rather watch paint dry than listen to some of those conversations roflmao

GTGallop
Sat 28th Feb 2015, 12:43
My word! I have already programmed all the repeaters... I would rather watch paint dry than listen to some of those conversations roflmao

I know. We've got a kick @$$ repeater down here but occasionally these guys get on and they talk on 70 CM FM about all of the things they do on HF. They'll be listening on HF and then having a side chat about the people talking on the other radio. So they are on the radio talking about the radio with a radio to a guy listening to a radio about a radio.

It reminds me of this.....

But occasionally I learn something from them that helps me avoid making a noob mistake so I tune in on the radio to see whats up on the radio while I radio.