PDA

View Full Version : Operating Portable And Generators

Tigerbrew
Sat 26th Jul 2014, 18:13
Hi Guys.

Just getting back into radio and was hoping to get out portable on the HF bands.
I have a Kenwood TS530 and matching ATU, a SOTA Pole and Bandhopper wire dipole. I also have a small petrol generator with a 650 watt output which is quite capable of providing enough power.

My question for those used to portable/contest operation is does anyone have any do's and don'ts about this sort of setup or any other issues I should be watching out for ?
In particular I've got in my mind things like the cleanliness of the supply from the generator, surge protection and earthing etc, or am I concerned about nothing ?

Regards, Steve G6JEF

5B4AJB
Sat 26th Jul 2014, 21:35
I'd use a battery between the generator and radio, with fuses everywhere.
Huge diodes or a (solar) charge controller aren't a bad idea either - either will need to handle the current consumption of the radio...

You can find 30A MPPT charge controllers on ebay for less than a tenner, any old rechargeable battery should be OK, one from a UPS (7AH or more) should work well...

Tigerbrew
Sat 26th Jul 2014, 23:44
I'd use a battery between the generator and radio, with fuses everywhere.
Huge diodes or a (solar) charge controller aren't a bad idea either - either will need to handle the current consumption of the radio...

You can find 30A MPPT charge controllers on ebay for less than a tenner, any old rechargeable battery should be OK, one from a UPS (7AH or more) should work well...

Thanks for that but the 530 is mains only powered but I'll keep that in mind if I end up using a 12v operated rig in the future.

Steve.

OH8GAD
Sun 27th Jul 2014, 06:55
the 530 is mains only powered Get an inverter, then you can run anything, anywhere :)

Tigerbrew
Wed 6th Aug 2014, 08:18
Get an inverter, then you can run anything, anywhere :)

Good Idea and noted for the future.

WB9UDA
Wed 27th Aug 2014, 01:53
The ideal Inverter would put out a perfect Sign Wave AC, however most put out a Square Wave, which some things can tolerate and some can't.

Sine Wave inverters are readily available, but also more expensive than the Square Wave models. I have several inverters from 200 watts to 1800 watts and they will run almost everything in my house but my AC and Fridge. The big one will run my 1500 watt microwave oven, but it hums like crazy!
It also runs my toaster, but that hums too. :) :)

Being in the UK, does your radio require 220vac?

Good luck running a Ham rig off of an inverter. It may or may not work. Inverters aren't very efficient and will probably drain your battery pretty fast.
Recharging the battery, periodically from your car may be required.

I do a lot with UPS's , Inverters, etc. and it can sometimes be very iffy. (subject to change without notice)
For instance, switching power supplies like we have in desktop PC's, don't seem to mind a UPS or Inverter, but series regulated power supplies with a transformer input are another matter. Transformers hate to see a square wave.

Good Luck!
WB9UDA :cool: