PDA

View Full Version : Base Radios A deaf Ten Tec Omni 6 with the Mod 3 update alignment question

signalshifter
Sat 10th Aug 2013, 17:11
I just purchased an Omni IV (563) with the mod 3 update which is a bit on the deaf side. I have compared it's sensitivity to some of the other rigs I have and it is decidedly down. This Rig was owned by a smoker it is not badly polluted but it still needs to be cleaned up but I could not turn down the deal I got on it. I have a order of Caig DeOxit coming to take care of that tobacco detox part. I understand the poor connections PBT board is on area that can cause the problem I have. I am going check the receiver alignment the question I have is do I alignment per the instructions for the unmodified 563, or should I use the instructions for the 564. There really is not much different between the two except the 563 instructs you to use a RF signal generator, and a audio level meter, where as the 564 indicates a continous carrier signal from an on the air source, and use the rig's own meter to peak the adjustments.

WA9WVX
Sun 11th Aug 2013, 02:39
Some how I can't believe that an Off-The-Air signal would be better than using a known good Signal Generator. The OTA signal has a better chance to vary all over the place due to HF conditions where as a Signal Generator is a controlled RF signal and can be varied or reduced to a very weak signal while aligning the receiver section. If the 564 technical group wrote those instructions at Ten-Tec, I'd be worried about their knowledge.

Dan
WA9WVX

signalshifter
Sun 11th Aug 2013, 05:35
The on the air signal I have in mind was my Tec Tec Argosy 535 in QRP mode into a dummy load a couple of feet away, or I have a choice of several RF single generators Maybe I'll roll the nice 1940 General Instruments unit in to do the job, it weights 200 pounds and it has those cool instrument dials you see in a Frankenstein movies, :D it is in perfect working order. I agree the preferred method is a more direct signal source. I had no intention of trusting anything more the a few feet away. This Ten Tec is sort in in between started out as a 563, then was updated to a 564 that is the reason for this question. In the end I am probably going to pack it up and sent it to Ten Tec. But I am going to clean it up first., Hose it with Blue Shower then the DeOxit routine. I am setup for hollowstate gear I can usually handle sand-state stuff as long as there is no SMD stuff.

WA9WVX
Sun 11th Aug 2013, 16:19
It doesn't matter what age the Signal Generator is just as long as it's working correctly. To use the Argosy into a 50 Ohm Load will not allow you reduce the carrier enough as a Signal Generator does. As Far as using a Blue Shower (?) and then DeOxit, I'd want to make sure that all residue is removed before enabling the primary power.

Years ago I had several Motorola Digitac Voting Comparators come into the factory's service shop for repair. They looked like they had been through a war zone but actually the custoner's site roof had caved in on them, there was all type of dirt, roofing material and water had penetrated into the units and individual modules. The shop's personnel took off all of the audio transformers and potentiometers so the modules could be cleaned by using a soft brush and water. Mind you, these modules contained ICs and surface mounted components so extra special care had to be addressed that no residue was left on the modules which could cause resistance paths between any component and other circuitry within the modules. It was a tedeious job keeping everything clean and usable. After all of components were re-installed, I went through each comparator testing them to original factory specifications before they were returned to the customer's new site. I could only imagine what the field technicians felt like when they originally open the door to radio site, seeing that the roof had caved in on to all of electronic equipment .... it must have been sickening.

Be grateful that your Ten-Tec Omni VI didn't get this type of abuse, make sure that no DeOxit resistance paths exist as that can drive a technical person nuts trying to track down mysterious resistance in the circuitry.

Dan
WA9WVX

signalshifter
Sun 11th Aug 2013, 19:08
Blue Shower has been around for many years it is specially designed to clean electronics, I have used it for over 20 years it cleans, evaporates in seconds, and leaves no residue behind. As for the DeOxit I don't hose the stuff around it goes on in almost microscopic amounts with a needle applicator, or with a tiny brush. The Omni 6 I have was built in 1992, the mod 3 upgrade in 1998 there are no surface mount parts. Thank God.