PDA

View Full Version : New to ham radio, help?!

john_tranter103
Sun 14th Apr 2013, 00:55
About 10 years ago I earned my foundation license allowing me to operate on amateur radio. After a couple of years since I was only a kid at the time, I slowly forgot about it, until recently when I found my old Hora C-150 portable radio (unfortunately not operational after years of being unused). to cut a long story short, I went out after a bit of research and bought a Yaesu FT-60 transceiver, the only problem is that I know very little of how to operate this hand held.

At the moment, I am a student in Liverpool. My father still living in my home town of Stoke-on-Trent (who holds an intermediate license) wants to contact me in Liverpool from home, the only problem is, I don't know a way to make that possible? I know about receivers and how they work (to an extent), but is there any way I can possibly contact Stoke from Liverpool?

I looked up where the nearest repeater is to me (using http://www.ukrepeater.net/2m.htm), I sent out a call on a few nearby repeaters, but had no luck I think in actually getting through into them. I found the CTCSS codes for them and the correct frequencies, but unlike when I am in Stoke-on-Trent, the repeaters I tried did not give me any indication I had activated them. Any one know why or how I can solve this problem?

Also, being a novice I'm still learning all the jargon with amateur radio, can anyone tell me what Rx / Tx means?

Many thanks to anyone who can help a 20 year old novice start out on ham radio again!

5B4AJB
Sun 14th Apr 2013, 22:04
RX - receive(r)
TX - Transmit(ter)

Try signing up to Echolink (http://www.echolink.org/), it uses the internet as a backbone between linked repeaters. You can use RF to network to RF, or just network to network communications.

U.K. 2 metre repeaters use a 600kHz frequency split, so you transmit on, for example, 145.000 and receive on 145.600 Make sure you have that turned on as well as the correct CTCSS frequency.

kk4utr
Tue 1st Apr 2014, 00:55
I am not familiar with the distances, but I will tell you that there is a very good chance you have the wrong information on the repeaters you are trying to use. Most big directories get info from all over the web, resulting in poor accuracy. Not to mention that many, many repeaters listed as active are off the air. I would recommend you find a local ham radio club, and get with them where someone should be able to help you program your radio. Also, do not be discouraged if your HT cannot hit repeaters, even if you can get a tone from them. HT antennas are the bare minimum to transmit, but a simple dipole or ground plane will increase your range amazingly. 73