PDA

View Full Version : Base Radios TenTec Omni-D

rwheindl
Tue 3rd May 2011, 01:07
Does anyone know which mode is which on this rig? I have SB-R and SB-N modes, which is Upper/Lower sideband?

Bill Smith
Sun 29th May 2011, 12:52
Hi, Rwheindl;

The short anwer is that SB-R and SB-N can be USB or LSB. N = normal and R = reverse for the band you're using.

When you select SB-N, the actual sideband you're using depends on which band you are on - ie on 160, 80 and 40 it's LSB, while on 30, 20, 17, 15, 12 and 10 it's USB.

Examples: On 20 metres, SB-N means you are on USB; select SB-R and you're on LSB.

On 40 metres, SB-N means you're on LSB; select SB-R and you're using USB.

Hope this helps.

Bill Smith

W2RRK
Fri 29th Jul 2011, 07:49
Good evening, I am having a problem with our club Omni D 546 "B-Series" HF rig. We get absolutely no sound from the speakers what so ever. No sound from trying the headphone jack either. When I say 'no sound', I mean NO SOUND at all--no hissing, no background noise, nothing. The solder connections on the two speakers are good & tight. I have had 2 other more experienced users of this radio come over with their coax & antennas--no difference. Hear nothing on phone or cw modes. A club member took the rig today to check all the Rx parts. We are 99.9% sure we are transmitting as the S-meter on the rig, the ampmeter on the matching power supply and the "ALC" light next to the main tuning knob lights up on voice peaks. We have tried all the dials, knobs & switches just to see if anything helps, it does not. If anyone has any ideas or similar situations, please let me know. Thank you very much. W2RRK

signalshifter
Sun 21st Jul 2013, 19:44
A thing to check out is the Head phone jack and it's wiring Ten Tec's of this vintage had rather cheap headphone jacks and they could get sort of in between no contact on the headphone plug but the interrupt for the internal speaker was also open like the headphone was plugged in. Of course check the wiring going to and from the jack for breaks. This is an age related thing. My Ten Tec Argosy 525 had this problem until I replaced the jack with a better quality part. I hope this helps. I would suggest that once you get the sound problem fixed that you go to a set of inexpensive amplified computer speakers. They are a vast improvement over the speakers used on any HF rig not just Ten Tec.