PDA

View Full Version : D-Star 2m simplex calling frequency (144.6125MHz)

2E0JTP
Sat 23rd Oct 2010, 19:16
Does anyone on here using D-Star, monitor or call on the 2m simplex calling frequency?

I appreciate that D-Star shines when you make use of the D-Star repeater systems, but not all areas are covered by D-Star repeaters. Locally to me, my nearest D-Star repeaters are in Herne Bay (GB7IC) or Orpington (GB7OK) and these don't offer anywhere near complete coverage of the Medway Towns.

I ask as there are at least two people in the Medway Towns who listen (on scan) and put out the occasional call on the 2m D-Star simplex calling frequency. So if you are nearby or passing through, put out a call.

M6NKA
Sat 23rd Oct 2010, 20:32
Hi,

Does the repeater identify itself digitally after some time like analog repeaters send id in morse ? Or is like normal repeater that switches to digital mode when get some special data on the input ?

BR

2E0JTP
Sat 23rd Oct 2010, 21:18
Hi,

Does the repeater identify itself digitally after some time like analog repeaters send id in morse ? Or is like normal repeater that switches to digital mode when get some special data on the input ?

BR

They don't automatically ident. At least none of the ones I've ever used have. They ident an information stream (digitally) when you trigger them with a digital transmission.

D-Star repeaters are specifically digital only. They replace (or live alongside) the existing analogue repeater. On some repeater sites they have installed a special interface that allows an analogue repeater and a D-Star repeater to share the same frequency pairing. The interface determines which system (digital or analogue) is used. This can be based on first come first served, or on some sort of schedule.

All of the D-Star repeaters in my area have replaced existing analogue systems. Not everyone is happy about it, but then no one was using the old analogue systems anyway. Use 'em or lose 'em. :rolleyes:

M6NKA
Mon 25th Oct 2010, 11:46
Hi,

Thanks for the info. But this means that if no one is using the D-Star repeater, there is no way to know one exist in your
area, unless off course you check on the web with the repeaters list.

BR

2E0JTP
Mon 25th Oct 2010, 15:30
Hi,

Thanks for the info. But this means that if no one is using the D-Star repeater, there is no way to know one exist in your
area, unless off course you check on the web with the repeaters list.

BR

Technically true, but in practise this isn't an issue.

Two reasons.

The first is that 90% of D-Star repeaters are connected to the internet (some repeater sites have had difficulties getting broadband connections), so you will often hear conversations being 'reflected' from other D-Star repeaters (from all over the world!). Secondly, if you have spent some serious money buying a D-Star transceiver, you will most certainly go to the effort of looking up where the repeaters are! ;)

m0csh
Mon 4th Jun 2012, 01:58
Does anyone on here using D-Star, monitor or call on the 2m simplex calling frequency?

>I ask as there are at least two people in the Medway Towns who listen (on scan) and put out the occasional call >on the 2m D-Star simplex calling frequency. So if you are nearby or passing through, put out a call.

Ill add that to my radio. I am located on the top of Bluebell Hill which would be a good location for a repeater and Im trying to see if there is any interest for this.

It would cover the Medway towns and out towards Maidstone, filling the gap a bit.

Email me at [email protected] if interested.