PDA

View Full Version : Base Radios Ten Tec Century 22 CW

2E0CPX
Tue 19th Oct 2010, 21:22
Seen this week on ebay-uk was a Ten Tec Century 22 (model 579) which is CW only with a direct conversion RX covering 80, 40, 30, 20, 15 and 10m with a quoted maximum power output of 20W.

This particular radio has had a new final amplifier installed and the max output power reduced to 10W which would have suited me.

Must say I like the clean simplicity of the rig, and its not a make that I am that familiar with. Unfortunately I wasn't about online when bidding closed so I couldn't make a bid but its something I will keep my eye open for in the future.
http://radiopics.com/Ten-Tec/Photos/Ten-Tec_Century%2022.jpg

dipoledave
Fri 22nd Apr 2011, 23:27
lovely radio... no thrills/bells/whistles but good fun using it...my wife bought me one last christmas... havent stopped using it since... receiver gets knocked by broadcast stations but a tweak at the rf gain/filter and off set is usually enough to be able to make out the target station.. filter is very effective...and the build quality of the radio is robust.. mine cost 70... couldnt say what the true going price is, but for 5 band operation that makes it 14 per band... you cant argue at that... if you see one sub 100 buy it...if you dont expect k3 performance then this little radio wont disappoint....cheers

AE6ZW
Fri 27th May 2011, 15:26
good radio, very good radio, also I have heard Corsair 1 or 2 is good radio as well as century 21
here in US, QTH.com sell many used radio. cheapest way to send to UK from USA is USPS surface shipping.

TI2-NA7U
Wed 25th Apr 2012, 15:29
The Century 22 is one I've always wanted in the shack, I think mostly because of the rave reviews and the fact that they are hard to find and usually go for a premium. Only an audio filter, though, and you always have to worry about whether the PTO needs a rebuild as with most TTs of this era. Another radio that is about the same price or less and much more capable would be an IC-730, also not the easiest to find.

signalshifter
Sat 20th Jul 2013, 22:46
Put the Argosy 525 on your list it is essentially the Century 22 with addition of SSB phone. There are two models the 525 and the Argosy II or the 525D which has a digital readout and an improved receiver. They have a max power of 50 watts, and there is a switch located on the back the shuts the final off converting the Argosy into a nice QRP rig adjustable from 5 watts down to a fraction of a watt. The Argosy 525, and 525D where made in greater numbers them the Century 22 so you will have more choices. I have the first model Argosy 525 with the Ten Tec installed improvements on it receiver. I have had it for 20+ years and while it has moved into secondary status next to my Omni VI I still use it from time to time. It is a really sweet CW rig.