PDA

View Full Version : Hello from N. Florida

johnhall
Fri 1st Aug 2008, 14:24
new here and also newly licensed as of july 28th :D my name is john hall. i took my test at the
http://columbia-ars.com/clubinfo.php very fine folks thise guys. they do very much ARES and skywarn work and this facet of radio really interests me.

their local county emergency nets had check in last night for my surrounding countys. it was very exciting to me to hear all of the operators and the net control stations work. even being in florida we are very rural in this area and of course way too near the gulf for me too. i respect weather as both my disabled gal and myself (within 1 click of being legally blind now) are both natives of this land of sand snakes and storms. it is very comforting to us that we will have a direct link in an emergency. its 18 miles to nearest tornado shelter. well it was until i built the dirt filled truck tire bunker in the yard :D i figure i have moved about 40 cubic yards of dirt by hand as of now. about 4 more and ill be done with the structure but not the services like water , lights , fans/vents and now 2 meter rig hehehe

my station consists of a icom ic-228a, sm6 mic, mfj meter , 20amp power supply, dont know its name yet but a 3 element verticle on 25 feet of heavy wall water pipe and a rat shack scanner (it helps a lot as i dont have scan on the radio any longer)

i plan to be as much of a part of this as i can be. i have been reading the ARRL .pdf's about blind operators. maybe one day i can get a radio that talks when i do lose all sight? but for now
im doing pretty good at finding local traffic. i do like 2m (of course i dont know anything else yet either) CW is also of great interest to me as i have noticed since i have been losing sight my big floppy ears do work better :D hopefully i can find a CW tutor that will function with linux ubuntu (6.06 dapper)

hopefully soon i will show up in the FCC database and i can check into my local net and make even more new friends. i have pretty good days and very bad days so if my spelling or word placement looks wacky some days please do understand.

sorry about this novel i have typed but yes im excited about my new path in amateur radio

im glad to be here. 73 , john hall

2e0sql
Fri 1st Aug 2008, 15:07
Hi John, Welcome to HRF!

new here and also newly licensed as of july 28th :D my name is john hall.

Well done John!

i plan to be as much of a part of this as i can be. i have been reading the ARRL .pdf's about blind operators. maybe one day i can get a radio that talks when i do lose all sight? but for now
im doing pretty good at finding local traffic. i do like 2m (of course i dont know anything else yet either) CW is also of great interest to me as i have noticed since i have been losing sight my big floppy ears do work better :D hopefully i can find a CW tutor that will function with linux ubuntu (6.06 dapper)

As for learning morse code there's a nice online tutor done by dj1yfk at http://lcwo.net/ highly recommend it.

Hope you enjoy the forum we're a friendly bunch! :D